Doom Question

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I need some help in how to properly deal with doom tokens in play.

My current scenario (Devourer Below, Agenda 1a) has a doom threshold of 4. On the second round I drew Ancient Evils, which pushed the count to 3 doom tokens. My second investigator then drew and Acolyte, which requires 1 doom to be placed on it. However, we're past step 1.3 (Check Doom Threshold), so the doom count technically still remains at 3.

At start of next Mythos Phase, I place 1 doom on the current agenda (step 1.2), and then check the doom threshold. There are now 4 doom tokens on the agenda plus 1 doom on the Acolyte. So do all 5 doom tokens now get removed since I'm advancing the agenda?

I wouldn't say that "the doom count technically still remains at 3", cards that have effects based on the doom count at this point in the game will register 4 doom, it is just that the time to check for the doom threshold on the agenda has passed.

Yes, all doom is removed unless there is a specific instruction somewhere specifying that it stays. In Devourer Below, you will remove all doom.

It also highlights a strategy when using cards that introduce doom -- you can often mitigate the effect of their "doom" cost by playing them when you know that the threshold is already going to be met during the next Mythos phase.

So, for example, if you have "Blood Pact" (which gives +3 to a number of tests at the cost of 1 doom), you'll be well served if you ensure that investigator has appropriate skill tests lined up for the turn before the agenda is going to advance.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insights.

There's also a key phrase to look for with cards which add Doom to the agenda - and Ancient Evils is the prime example of it.

Some Mythos cards which add Doom to the agenda include the phrase "This effect may cause the current agenda to advance." Cards with this phrase can trigger an agenda advance outside of the expected sequence.

To take the chain of cards you described as an example, you started drawing encounter cards at 2 Doom, and saw a pair of cards that added Doom to that agenda, but in a sequence that didn't trigger it. Had your first Investigator drawn the Acolyte, and your second drawn Ancient Evils, it would've triggered the Agenda change in that phase, two turns earlier than might be expected.

Thanks, dysartes. Just to be 100% clear, so if a card like Ancient Evils adds enough doom to reach the doom threshold, then the Agenda Deck advances immediately. Is that correct? Meaning, you wouldn't wait until the Mythos Phase step 1.3 - Check doom threshold, right?

Yes, if the card says "This effect may cause the current agenda to advance.", then you do a check against the Doom threshold immediately after playing the card and advance the Agenda Deck if appropriate.

2 hours ago, Sir_Blacksoutalot said:

Thanks, dysartes. Just to be 100% clear, so if a card like Ancient Evils adds enough doom to reach the doom threshold, then the Agenda Deck advances immediately. Is that correct? Meaning, you wouldn't wait until the Mythos Phase step 1.3 - Check doom threshold, right?

Exactly - there's a reason people aren't keen on Delve Too Deep being used in scenarios where Ancient Evils abound...