Adjacent Rule - What if there is no room?

By Rekkless88, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This was a question that came up on the Descent Facebook group. Not my board, but the example.

43DcPBV.jpg

The Overlord wants to play "Reinforce" with the large Wendigo Master at the bottom of the image, but there are no spaces immediately adjacent to the Master that are not within 3 spaces of a hero.

kkzf6Il.jpg

According to the Special rules of Combat for Oath of Honor the pictured below the Wendigo should be then placed in the nearest possible space. Examples 5 and 6.

But the problem is the nearest possible space is 8 spaces away behind a door, and behind a closed door is never considered to be adjacent.

So literally these rules contradict each other.

BVa1o8G.jpg

7AGIgqC.jpg

So where can the OL place the Minions in this situation?
Behind the door as they are the closest only true empty space not within 3 spaces of a hero?
Only on the Exit/Entry tile stating that the monster only takes up 1 movement space at the very back?
Or can the OL not play this card at all, as there are no true available spaces adjacent to the Master that are not within 3 spaces of a hero?

Edited by Rekkless88

Sorry double post.

Edited by Rekkless88

In this particular case, I would say that the reinforcement card cannot be played since the 2 conditions cannot be met. There is not enough place to spawn these, that's all.

Edited by rugal

Yeah, I'd agree. Usually, the intent is to allow spawns in closest empty space, but you're correct: there are no close empty spaces. You can't count through doors, and allowing spawning on far sides of doors could break a fair number of quests.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, Zaltyre said:

Yeah, I'd agree. Usually, the intent is to allow spawns in closest empty space, but you're correct: there are no close empty spaces. You can't count through doors, and allowing spawning on far sides of doors could break a fair number of quests.

IIRC, you are allowed to reinforce behind a door if all other spaces are filled in the room you're attempting to respawn into, correct?

On 12/20/2020 at 8:03 AM, ComtriS said:

IIRC, you are allowed to reinforce behind a door if all other spaces are filled in the room you're attempting to respawn into, correct?

IIRC ?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly