Talisman expansion - tattoos

By TheGiliEllen, in Talisman Home Brews

Hello everyone :)
This is my first post here. I'm relatively new to the game but i fell in love quickly.
I've started on working on a huge and awesome sea themed expansion and then noticed someone publishing his version here - that made me pause about publishing mine, but if anyone is interested you may let me know and i'll do it.

A big part of the expansion is getting tattoos a "permanent" rewards, that can also be cursed.
Basically, these tattoos are very hard to gain. you can either buy them at the Pirate King's island (which you have to be a pirate to enter without life lose) and it will cost a lot of gold and the possibility of a cursed tattoo is higher, or you can get them for less with a less possibility of cursed tattoos in Atlantis - but you'll have to rise it from the ocean first. (you'll be able to gain them at a tattooist stranger - for a higher cost from the pirate deck - meaning a higher chance for cursed ones).
as you see, the way to get them is hard, but i would like to add them to the game even without the expansion.
that is why i come to you. Any ideas of how to do that?

PS: English is not my main language - so if you find any mistakes I'll be happy to fix them.
I can't upload them since the files are big, you can find them here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CvPF1biTApFqxzfH3TPYb777hFu_f1On?usp=sharing

As the guy doing the (most recent) sea-themed expansion, I'd love to see what you've come up with. Maybe we can find a way to make your set compatible with mine.

As for your tattoo cards, I love the concept and the art style you chose for them. I've noticed a few mistakes and places where the text could be a bit clearer. When I've got a bit more time (hopefully tomorrow), I'll go over those in more detail and report back what I find.

The first thought for alternative ways to get tattoos is to treat them as something like Achievements that characters unlock during the game. The first character to complete a Warlock Quest gets the Talisman Tattoo. The first character to teleport gets the Portal Tattoo. Of course, with this system in mind, some of the specific mechanics of the cards may need to be altered to prevent a character from growing too powerful too quickly.

Is there any way to lose or ditch a Tattoo normally? Otherwise, I'm not sure if the Cursed keyword is necessary on them, unless it's used when getting tattooed at the Pirate King's Island and Atlantis. I'm imagining the situation there might be something like "Draw X Tattoo cards and choose one. If you draw any Cursed Tattoos, you must choose one of those," where X is the amount of gold you spent to get your tattoo. So the more you spend, the better odds you'll have of getting a tattoo you want but also the better odds you have of ending up with one that's Cursed . So you'd have to balance the risk versus the reward there. Of course, if this is the case, there's always that chance that if you draw just 1 card, you may still end up with a Cursed one.

In any case, I think it would be better if the Cursed Tattoos had a beneficial side as well as a harmful side. That's how I usually write my Cursed cards. Here's an example of what I'd have in mind. This Tattoo can be used against other characters, but if you're alone in your Region, you have to use it against yourself.

g7pyM7Q.jpg