RIP David Prowse

By DidntFallAsleep66, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Imagine having played one of the most iconic roles in movie history, and still be able to walk down the street without anyone recognizing you. The best of both worlds. Clear skies, Lord Vader.

RIP indeed. :(

... I think that I actually remember Prowse as the Green Cross Code Man. Certainly the "Stop, look, and listen" mantra still resounds in my head.

(Wow, did I ever date myself with that reference! :D )

Edited by Bellona

I met him at a few cons. He was a very friendly man.

I like the Rogue One film, but there was also one annoying thing which really stood out for me: the Vader "body actor" simply did not stride like David Prowse did.

There's a scene in Rogue One where Vader walks down a starship ramp - and the body actor looks as if he is almost sashaying. He certainly swung his hips more than Prowse's Vader ever did. :(

Edited by Bellona

Prowse was awesome. He made Vader intimidating just by standing. It wasn’t just the costume, it was his build and mannerisms. James Earl Jones gets a lot of credit for bringing Vader to life (and that’s deserved) but without Prowse I don’t believe the character could have become such a memorable villain.

RIP

Big loss for Star Wars fans. Vader walking on to the Tantive IV is one of the best villain/character intros ever filmed, he really sold the presence that Vader deserves.

On a lighter note, Prowse was Bristolian and me and my mates used to love trying to imitate Darth Vader's famous lines in a west country accent. If you aren't familiar with the accent, the best I can explain is think Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings. My personal favourite is "You are par' of the Rebel Alliance and a tray'er".

Edited by LeighPouse