Idea for new OT Wave (Squads, MC40 and Dreadnought)

By >kkj, in Star Wars: Armada

New Squadron Pack:

Rebels

U-Wing

Speed 3

Hull 6

Antisquad 2 blue

Antiship 1 blue

Offensive

Support (Instead of attacking, you may restore 1 hullpoint of another friendly squadron at distance 1. If that squadron does not have defense tokens you may restore up to 2 hullpoints instead)

Cost 12 (?)

Unique:

•Bodhi Rook

Support

Relay 2

Rogue

Defense Tokens: 2x brace

cost: 19 (?)

K-Wing Squadron

Speed 2

Hull 7

Antisquad 3 blue

Antiship 1 black, 1 red

Counter 1

Bomber

Heavy

SLAM-Engine (You may treat your speed as 4. If you do, you may not perform any attacks this round)

cost: 21 (?)

Unique: ?

Empire

TIE-Reaper

Speed 4

Hull 5

Antisquad 2 blue

Antiship 1 blue

Offensive

Support

Cost 12 (?)

Unique:

•Major Vermeil

Once per game, at the end of the phase, you may place a proximity mine at distance 1 to you.

Relay 1

Offensive

Support

Defense tokens: 2x brace

Cost 18 (?)

Starwing Gunboat Squadron

Speed 2

Hull 5

Antisquad 1 blue, 2 black

Antiship 1 red

Bomber

Snipe 3

SLAM-Engine

cost 15 (?)

Unique: ?

New Rebel Ship:

MC40A Light Assault Cruiser

Medium Size

Command 3

Squadron 3

Engineering 3

Antisquad 1 red

Antiship

Front 1 blue, 1 black

Sides 3 blue, 1 red

Rear 1 blue, 1 red

Defense Tokens

2x Redirect, 1x Salvo

Maneuverchart

1: I

2: II I

Hull 5

Shields

Front 2

Sides 4

Rear 1

Upgrades

Officer

Weapons Team

Defensive Retrofit

Ion Cannons

Support

Cost 60-70 (?)

MC40A Light Support Cruiser

Medium Size

Command 3

Squadron 3

Engineering 3

Antisquad 1 blue

Antiship

Front 2 blue

Sides 4 blue

Rear 2 blue

Defense Tokens

2x Redirect, 1x Salvo

Maneuverchart

2: II I

Hull 5

Shields

Front 2

Sides 4

Rear 1

Upgrades

Officer

Offensive Retrofit

Defensive Retrofit

Ion Cannons

Support

Cost 60-70 (?)

Title:

Squadron Command: You may choose up to two friendly squadrons at distance 1-5. Those squadrons gain Grit.

Title:

While attacking a ship or squadron that is at distance 1 of a friendly squadron you may reroll 1 attack die.

Title:

While attacking a ship, you may exhaust this card to spend up to two blue dice that are set to a accuracy symbol. For each accuracy symbol spent you may recover 1 shield.

Commander:

•General Solo

While defending, during the spend defense tokens step, if you spend a non-Contain Defense Token, you may choose to resolve the Salvo-effect instead of that defense tokens effect. (30)

New Imperial Ship:

Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser

Medium Size

Command 3

Squadron 2

Engineering 3

Antisquad 2 blue

Antiship

Front 2 red

Sides 2 red, 2 blue

Rear 2 red

Defense Tokens

2x Brace, 1x Salvo

Maneuverchart

2: I I

Hull 6

Shields

Front 3

Sides 3

Rear 2

Upgrades

Officer

Turbolaser

Turbolaser

Defensive Retrofit

Support

Cost 60~

Dreadnaught-class Support Cruiser

Medium Size

Command 3

Squadron 2

Engineering 3

Antisquad 1 black

Antiship

Front 1 red, 1 blue

Sides 2 red, 2 blue

Rear 1 red, 1 blue

Defense Tokens

2x Brace, 1x Salvo

Maneuverchart

2: I I

Hull 6

Shields

Front 3

Sides 3

Rear 2

Upgrades

Officer

Turbolaser

Defensive Retrofit

Support

Support

Cost 60~

Title: Bloodlust

At the start of the first round you may gain 1 Contain. While attacking a damaged squadron, you may reroll 1 die.

Title: Endurance

While you are defending, during the spend defense tokens step, if the defending hull zone has 1 or fewer shields you may move 1 shield from any hullzone to the defending hullzone.

Title: Aggressor

While resolving the Salvo-effect, you may add one black die to the attack pool.

Commander:

•Admiral Pellaeon

?

FYI, i noticed while researching those ships that FFG has brought all of the formerly Legends ships back into the canon through one of their RPG books. Even the MC40 and Alpha-class Starwing are now canon, which means its much more likely we will actually see them in the future. Pretty cool. Between the Mando and this is nice to see Disney embrace more of the legends ships and lore, at least the parts that don‘t interfere with the new canon. Throwing 40 years of established lore in the trash bin was the worst decision they made. (Especially if you look at what they decided to replace it with...dark empire-esque reborn clone emperor *shudders*)

Anyway, what do you think of my designs?

Edited by >kkj

Also, sorry for the format, i copied this from my phone

9 minutes ago, >kkj said:

Also, sorry for the format, i copied this from my phone

Yeah, there's a lot to unpack there and the excessive line spacing makes it difficult to read and follow, even on a laptop or monitor.

If you want people here to read it and offer feedback, think it would be helpful to make it more readable by reformatting it from a computer so the text is redistributed horizontally, rather than vertically (like on a smartphone screen). Ideally, you want all the stats and info for each ship to fit on the screen together.

But I do like your ideas of adding the MC40, General Solo, and Admiral Pellaeon to Armada. 👍

I think a good method for Squadrons going forward would be two Squadrons of fighters, and two freighters or single unit Squadrons. This could extend out how many packs you can sell, decrease the number of excessive Squadrons players will never use, and allow more variety. I think U-Wings are a given for the rebels, maybe the Star Fortresses?

This might be an unpopular opinion amongst the player community, but I view the Empire and Rebels as complete factions. Bring on the prequels and sequels, I say.

I would love to see U-Wings and TIE Reapers in Armada, though it'd be hard to imagine not having Cassian Andor as the unique pilot for the Rebels (seeing as he flew one on a host of covert ops for the Rebellion).. I think both could easily have Raid, since they are predominantly troop transports. Both then also become very analogous to the laat gunship.

I wonder if we'll see 4-faction squadron releases in the future, in an effort to stretch lean Rebel/Imperial content and incentivize people to jump into other factions.

A pack with:

Raiding Troop Transport : U-Wing, TIE Reaper, laat Gunship
Heavy Bomber : K-Wing, TIE Punisher, HMP Gunship
Relay/Strategic for GAR/Sep : Republic Shuttle (ETA?Nu? Etc), Ventress Fanship or Seppy Shuttle(Neimodian Shuttle?)

Would use up some iconic squadrons, provide the 8 stands of single-ships ala Rogues and Villains, and would leave people owning stuff for all four factions.

MC40, Dreadnaught, Han, Pellaeon, Starwing....clearly onboard 🙂

I hate to say this unless were gonna start getting obscure with ships i think OT era is kinda done at the moment. I know people want the dreadnaught badly, but reality its an old book only ship that is, in the grand sceme, fairly obscure. This argument kind of flows along with the mc 40 and the (pick your ship here), yeah their neat, but will they get a dude who has never played before with star wars only being movies, to pick it up and buy it?

I have my doubts on some ships, in particular the much vaunted dreadnaught. Its is a terribly generic looking ship, rather bland. It misses that sweet undiscribable asthetic magic that alot of the non triangle ships seem to have( Im looking at you OG modle builders), rather replacing it withlate 90's easy polygonal rendering look. It could of come out of any of those games like freespace, mind you i loved those games but its still the kind of the point. Every time i see it, i wonder if it weren't for the books woukd anyone, even try to defend the way this ship looks? All the while while people lampoon the AFMK2 as being the ugy potato lzaer boat. i for one love my potatoes, because somewhere in my head that ship somehow meets my 100% completly arbitrary magic it factor that makes a ship star warzy, and the dreadnaught dose not. Why? Who knows, but they are both a litte too deep in the 'do research, to find photos' vein akin to sasquach.

I for one am kind of glad they are moving on to the clone wars. Wile the movies may not have been, epic tour de forces, i do really like the ships. In my heart of hearts i have longed for these ships. When they get the CW wrapped up, or at least mostly, we can go back for the deep dish helping that is the obscure ships of legends/comic books/vidieo games.

TLDR: F the dreadnaught, too bland , too obscure. Bring me more MOVIE LAZER BOAT!

Edited by Noosh
Muh spells, much grammar, such punctiation
1 hour ago, Noosh said:

I hate to say this unless were gonna start getting obscure with ships i think OT era is kinda done at the moment. I know people want the dreadnaught badly, but reality its an old book only ship that is, in the grand sceme, fairly obscure. This argument kind of flows along with the mc 40 and the (pick your ship here), yeah their neat, but will they get a dude who has never played before with star wars only being movies, to pick it up and buy it?

The same could be said about the Mc30, the AF2, Raider, Gladiator and the whole last wave lol. Its not a very convincing arguement, since all those ships sold just fine.

Btw, my ship suggestions were not an arguement against the current Clone Wars focus. I like the Clone Wars more than the OT, heck me and @M0N0LITH designed a whole clone wars set as CoruscantConstructions .

This was just an idea what any further content for the OT might look like and what i personally would like to see.

I’d love to see an MC40. More Rebel mediums! And a very cool looking ship to boot

1 hour ago, >kkj said:

Btw, my ship suggestions were not an arguement against the current Clone Wars focus. I like the Clone Wars more than the OT, heck me and @M0N0LITH designed a whole clone wars set as CoruscantConstructions .

This was just an idea what any further content for the OT might look like and what i personally would like to see.

Nor was it taken in that manner. I guess i should have stipulated that im not against more OT Legends stuff, but rather im happier to see PT stuff. I mean **** theres all these ships from the empie at war scum faction that would of been ok additions. ****, I would be happy with New trillogy ships more than OT ships. That is mostly becase i want to smash my toy ships togeter like i saw on the big TV, and go PEW! PEW! SMASH, KERRREPOWBLAMSH!

I’d be happy for the old EU to be mined for ideas, as there are some decent designs out there although I see very little chance of that happening.

The Liberator class ship for the rebels for example. Interesting design that isn’t yet another Mon Cal & a unique combat profile - advanced medium hull with high carrier capacity.

As for squads, I see the Uwing as a raid token delivery vehicle. And I’ll take the Scimitar Assault Bomber over that hideous TIE Punisher any day.

I'd prefer Alpha class starwings and TIE Agressors over any other tie variants

I actually got designs for the Vindicator cruisers that still work well.

2419h.jpg?cache=0 2418h.jpg?cache=0

Wish we got the Vindicator and EU Interdictor instead of the Rebels Interdictor...

Edited by Wintercross
On 11/27/2020 at 8:15 PM, Rmcarrier1 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion amongst the player community, but I view the Empire and Rebels as complete factions. Bring on the prequels and sequels, I say.

Prequels? Yes please!
Sequels? What sequels? There are only 6 Star Wars movies, one spinoff (R1) and a bunch of weak, mass-produced parodies that aren't Star Wars.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:40 PM, TallGiraffe said:

I actually got designs for the Vindicator cruisers that still work well.

2419h.jpg?cache=0 2418h.jpg?cache=0

Would you make any changes to them in the light of 1.5 and the other recent releases? Salvo token, for example?

3 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Would you make any changes to them in the light of 1.5 and the other recent releases? Salvo token, for example?

I mean they both can take LFC or Reactive Gunnery. So not that big of an issue. I think they still work well.

7 hours ago, Norell said:

Prequels? Yes please!
Sequels? What sequels? There are only 6 Star Wars movies, one spinoff (R1) and a bunch of weak, mass-produced parodies that aren't Star Wars.

6? Theres only one star wars and it's the holiday special. Everything else is just worthless

8 hours ago, Norell said:

Prequels? Yes please!

Insert: “Ostrich head in sand GIF”

😉

5 hours ago, geek19 said:

6? Theres only one star wars and it's the holiday special. Everything else is just worthless

Not to be confused with the new Lego Holiday Special (which is really good). The live action holiday special for life (day)!

On 11/28/2020 at 9:21 AM, Noosh said:

The Victory, Quasar, and Interdictor all came from that era.

Also, the Dreadnaught showed up in Rebels and got an entry in one of the VDs.

And if you're talking about defending starship designs, cylinders and spheres would be the best design for space warships, not triangles. The Lancer for instance and the Invincible are prime examples of practical space warship designs; as cylinders they can just rotate fresh guns into position. Talk about boring, the new hardcells are just 1950s rocket ships. lol Same with spheres. Also, you're going to get the providence which is just a very large Dreadnaught cruiser.

I still want my regular Dreadnaught though. I'd pay for it.

Edited by RG1701

Well personally I think the Dreadnaught and the K-Wing are the ugliest things in all of Star Wars, but the more the merrier I say. Just give them awful stats so I can blow them up :D

As far as the OT being tapped goes, what about:

Rebels: Corellian Gunship and the Assault Frigate Mk I (which I guess was a heavily modified Dreadnought along with the mk II).

Imperials: Carrack-class light cruiser though it’s legends, it’s been around for ever.

There are many others that actually got screen time, but they were just for background shots, so they didn’t give a lot of details.

Like these: