Sword cane question

By brolim, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hello all. If i play this sword i must make an attack/ evade. The question is is this one of my 3 actions or it's free?

Reaction: After Sword Cane enters play: Immediately trigger its "->" ability without paying its cost.

As a reaction it is not forced, but optional, so it need not be triggered. Also the cost of it's -> ability is the action, which in this case you don't pay when triggering it's reaction ability.

Playing the sword takes an action, triggering it's reaction ability does not.

Sorry ..So that means that I Will spend one action to play the sword and then I can evade for free?

Yes.

There's nothing on the Sword Cane card itself that means that playing it normally doesn't use the standard Play action, which costs one of your three actions for the turn.

As you've probably noticed, you don't have to worry about an Attack of Opportunity, which is handy if you're planning on using it to Evade.

Once it has entered play, you can immediately take the reaction to use the printed ability to exhaust it and either Fight or Evade as required. As the reaction states this doesn't use an action, you're getting it as a free action at that moment in time.

Caveat - Given you've been asking about Dexter a lot, I'll point out that if you use his character ability to put Sword Cane into play, it doesn't cost you the Play action, you get the discounted cost, and can still trigger the reaction for the free Fight or Evade .

4 hours ago, dysartes said:

Yes.

There's nothing on the Sword Cane card itself that means that playing it normally doesn't use the standard Play action, which costs one of your three actions for the turn.

Ok so the cost is to pay an action. I thought the cost is to exaust it.

2 hours ago, brolim said:

Ok so the cost is to pay an action. I thought the cost is to exaust it.

Different elements have different costs. Let's take this back to first principles...

In order to play a non-Fast asset or event, you need to use the Play action. Putting the asset into play (or triggering the event) costs you that action, plus an appropriate number of resources. In the case of playing Sword Cane from hand normally, that's one action and two resources.

Sword Cane then features both a reaction, and an additional action that allows you to do a Fight or Evade on a non-traditional stat. We'll come back to the latter in a moment.

The reaction triggers after Sword Cane is in play, by which point we've paid the action cost and the resource cost. The reaction directs us to the action on Sword Cane, and allows us to use its ability without paying the cost. Let's look at that ability...

Firstly, it has the standard action symbol, so normally when using this it would use one of our three Actions for the turn. Following that, as you identified, we have a secondary cost of exhausting the weapon, before we get to what the action does - namely, Fight or Evade off Will, which is always useful for a Mystic.

Put all that together, and assuming we're not using Dexter Drake's ability, here's how it goes:

• Trigger Play action, paying costs (one action, two resources) while ignoring Attacks of Opportunity.
  • React to this using the built-in reaction.
  • Use the Action on the card to either Fight or Evade , but without needing to exhaust the card or pay an additional action.

At this stage you could use the printed Action on Sword Cane again, at a cost of one of your three actions, and exhausting Sword Cane.

Hope that's a bit clearer for you, chief.