City of Lies/Ryoko Owari PbP LFP - 1st Edition

By Sincereagape, in Your Stories

Hello. I have been in the mood to play or run in a political based RPG (thank you old Game of Thrones clips). From 2010ish to 2014 I ran a very successful table top L5R city of lies box set campaign that met 1-2 times a month in person. It was a wonderful campaign and the best tabletop RPG experience I have had to date.

I am looking to revive that experience either through Play by Post ), and am currently looking for players. Due to time constraints in RL and work life I am unable to devote the amount of time needed to learn the new 5th edition system.

thus the game will be based off 1st edition.

https://thetrove.is/Books/Legend of the Five Rings [multi]/2nd Edition/Core/Legend of the Five Rings - (2nd Edition).pdf

-all 1st edition clan book character creation rules are in play along with books like Winter court etc. (feel free to send me the link to look at).

-when I ran the campaign I just used the core rulebook and City of Lies box set, along with the 1st edition gm screen.

I am looking for 3-5 players where the group will take the role of emerald magistrates working for Doji Satsumi to take the place of the recently deceased ashidaka naritoki and his assistant true word.

EDIT 11/28/20: With some thought and discussion with a potential PC, I am also considering making this campaign centered around the criminal elements of Rokugan. Meaning the PCs can also take the role of power seekers and political players who are attempting to garner influence and shift the opium trade in the Emerald Empire.

the year is 1122, pre scorpion clan coup and pre clan war.

Playable clans:

-Lion, Crane, Crab, Phoenix, Dragon, Unicorn, All Minor Clans, and royal families (Seppun etc). I may allow scorpion characters under special circumstances.

thank you so much for showing interest in this possible campaign.

Cheers

Edited by Sincereagape

Year 1122, The 19th Year of the reign of Hantei XVII

Ryoko Owari

Opium, the sweet nectar of the sinful man. In the city of Ryoko Owari it was a way of life. Opium served as the fuel that kept the city prosperous and vibrant. The heir to the city, a handsome samurai known as Shosuro Jocho, found Itself in the House of Foreign Stories, one of the most infamous Geisha Dens in the entire Emerald Empire. Sprawled on the floor was a nude women with pale white skin and thick dark hair. One of the prized entertainers of the establishment.

She laid drenched in sweat and out of breath after her marathon of love making with Jocho. The samurai, if you were to call It that, slipped on It's crimson robe before calling for It's minions. "You may come in."

Three men slid back the rice paper panel and entered into the room. Wicked grins spawned from their faces as they noticed the geisha laying on the ground trying to catch her breath, "Heeeeeeee," they let out an almost inhuman cackle.

"Report," Jocho commanded with a deep sigh and bored demeanor.

"Our spies report that the Dragon envoy is on their way and have entered into the lands of the Scorpion, they shall arrive at Ryoko Owari in a few days..." the lead minion responded.

"And?" Jocho replied.

"Heeee. They carry the koku meant for the Dragon sensei......an estimated large amount," the minion rubbed his hands together.

The minions composed of Jocho's military contingent of the city. A small branch of the thunder guard known as the samurai squad. They were the most corrupt branch of the organization.

"Excellent...the three of you are to hire bandits to assist you in stealing the koku before they arrive....then leave evidence that the deed was committed by Fade...." Jocho placed It's mask, or what you would call a mask. In actuality, Jocho's scorpion mask resembled a diadem over a face covering. An item which enhanced It's Adonis like looks..

"Heeeee. Yes sir!"

Ryoko Owari would soon be Jocho's and without emerald magistrates to stand in the way, no one could stop the Opium addicted creature....

I am a huge fan of City of Lies, but I have run the campaign 3 times (and a half? I think) so kind of know it inside out. I even adapted the players handouts for 5e at one point - amongst others, I added Yogo Hiroue and added modern art where possible. I suspect that disqualifies me from being a player...

14 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I am a huge fan of City of Lies, but I have run the campaign 3 times (and a half? I think) so kind of know it inside out. I even adapted the players handouts for 5e at one point - amongst others, I added Yogo Hiroue and added modern art where possible. I suspect that disqualifies me from being a player...

Hmmm. this does not necessarily disqualify you from being a PC. I can alter the campaign just enough. IE: Changing the killer of Naritoki, making the Ryoko Owari ninja an actual threat.... But you could also be a perfect scorpion PC with just enough insight into the city to manipulate the comings and goings. ala Little Finger or Varys from Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice lore.