"While you... attack" and Jango's ability

By player655164, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello all,

Jango Fett's (pilot) ability reads as follows: While you defend or perform a primary attack, if the difficulty of your revealed maneuver is less than that of the enemy ship’s, you may change 1 of the enemy ship’s [focus eye] results to a blank result.

According to my understanding of the rules, Jango Fett's ability (both as pilot and crew) are both rendered useless while a ship with Jango is attacking. This is because in the Rules Reference the order of operations states that during the "modify defence dice" stage:

b. Modify Attack Dice: The players resolve abilities that modify the attack dice. The defending player resolves their abilities first, then the attacking player resolves their abilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what value is there in being able to change a defender's [focus eye] result to a blank if the defender has already had the chance to modify that [focus eye] result into an evade? I really hope this is an oversight that gets addressed, because otherwise Jango's already rather "meh" ability only ends up helping his defensive capabilities.

1 minute ago, player655164 said:

Hello all,

Jango Fett's (pilot) ability reads as follows: While you defend or perform a primary attack, if the difficulty of your revealed maneuver is less than that of the enemy ship’s, you may change 1 of the enemy ship’s [focus eye] results to a blank result.

According to my understanding of the rules, Jango Fett's ability (both as pilot and crew) are both rendered useless while a ship with Jango is attacking. This is because in the Rules Reference the order of operations states that during the "modify defence dice" stage:

b. Modify Attack Dice: The players resolve abilities that modify the attack dice. The defending player resolves their abilities first, then the attacking player resolves their abilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what value is there in being able to change a defender's [focus eye] result to a blank if the defender has already had the chance to modify that [focus eye] result into an evade? I really hope this is an oversight that gets addressed, because otherwise Jango's already rather "meh" ability only ends up helping his defensive capabilities.

So you always modify your own dice last.

I roll my attack dice, the defender gets to modify them, I get to modify them = final attack results.

Defenders rolls defense dice, I modify them, defender modifies them = final defense results.

Alternatively, you've got:

Attacker rolls attack dice, I modify them, attacker modifies them = final attack results.

I roll defense dice, attacker modifies them, I get to modify them = final defense results.

You seem to be a bit confused as to the timing of Jango and how dice mods work.

ahh shoot, yeah. That's embarassing.... I just re-read the rules. I always get confused on the order of which players mods which dice in which order...

"You always modify your own dice last." is a good rule of thumb.

1 minute ago, player655164 said:

ahh shoot, yeah. That's embarassing.... I just re-read the rules. I always get confused on the order of which players mods which dice in which order...

"You always modify your own dice last." is a good rule of thumb.

There isn't an X-wing player out there who hasn't read a passage of the rules wrong at least once; you're in good company, we all just want to learn!

5 hours ago, Innese said:

There isn't an X-wing player out there who hasn't read a passage of the rules wrong at least once; you're in good company, we all just want to learn!

And im sure many of us read it wrong, even after re-reading it 2 or 3 times over lol. Theres alot of rules.