Squad Builder Opinion Please

By BCooper85, in X-Wing

Hey everyone,

So now we have the new official squad builder I'm looking to get some thoughts together on it along with the other main builders people use, namely YASB and Launchbay Next.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Which do you use and why?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated, looking to put something together for a future article.

40 minutes ago, BCooper85 said:

Hey everyone,

So now we have the new official squad builder I'm looking to get some thoughts together on it along with the other main builders people use, namely YASB and Launchbay Next.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Which do you use and why?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated, looking to put something together for a future article.

So, I actually poked around the new builder this AM, and while I think it seems to be a vast improvement, it still was VERY hard for me to figure out how to use it. So I would say it's less intuitive than YASB, which is my main go-to (sorta, see below).

My main issue it that I cannot print a playable list. I'm casual only, so a don't need any of my cards out to play as "Proof of Purchase" at a tournament, and rifling thru cards to play a list I assembled on a computer is a royal PIA, and definitely not what I want to spend my XWM time on.

When folks complain Epic is too long, I suspect some of that has to do with the mountain of cards that need to get assembled and organized. Print-and-play is almost mandatory for large lists.

Hence, the new app is still kinda dead to me, as I currently intend to use YASB (which I really don't like a ton either, as it doesn't sort by IN [again Epic--I have to try to build a list in IN order!] and is very hard to read as a print-out), which I can then port to Infinite Arenas to print a (beautiful!) playable squad list. I mean, I use a lot of color ink this way, but I'm good with it.

Biggest problem with the official builder STILL is that I can not filter my saved lists.

Anyone else find it slow? Much slower at certain 'loading points' than previous app for me. Could be that everyone is hitting it at once due to the novelty ...

54 minutes ago, mcintma said:

Anyone else find it slow? Much slower at certain 'loading points' than previous app for me. Could be that everyone is hitting it at once due to the novelty ...

To put it politly yes. 2 of the issues I have with it could be from that. It not applying upgrades that adjust slots or the action bar is a pain. Not being able to link the card images is a minor annoyance.

Edited by Hiemfire

The new official app is a huge improvement. I use it more out of habit than preference.

Yasb 2.0 is great.

I like the new app, it is far better than the old one. Yasb 2.0 is still better.

Note I have been using the online browser version not the downloadable app, speed has not been an issue for me. I quickly got used to the layout, though on my tablet I had to turn screen landscape as the button to add ships was on the very edge of the screen and a bit awkward.
I like the layout, graphics, the way pilots are listed, dial with pilot text next to it, all good, looks nice. I like you get the pictures of the upgrades above the text when selecting, visually a very nice app. The wins loss tracker is good.

I have created several squads on it and enjoy using it.

However there are a few things the new app needs:

1. correct errors such as slots no appearing when you add cards that give you the extra slot.

2. The effects of bombs When they detonate is not there, yasb shows this at the bottom of the screen when you have the device in your list and it’s helpful.

3. Condition card effects are not shown, yasb as above.

4. option to print full text for those casual nights or larger games.

5. A method of subdividing or sorting your lists, by faction is nice but tbh if you could create folders and put lists in ones of your choice you could do jousting, aces, bombers, swarms etc.

6. When you select a ship and add upgrades you might decide to change to another pilot of that ship type if you have the points left, sadly you can’t do this you have to just delete the ship and do another. An option to change the pilot without resetting the upgrade selection would be nice.

7. A way to add and track what expansions or extra copies you have in your collection so you can see if you are short of copies of cards when designing your list.

I may come up with more but that’s it for now.

Once it gets the points update, I'll keep using X-wing 2nd Ed Squad designer. Oh... Wait... It just updated today would you look at that. Ooohhh shiny new points change display screen!

It checks every single box I've ever heard anyone ask for and it's way easier to use. Totally loaded with features, libraries, output displays, sort and archives. ONLY complaint, sometimes the touch points feel small. I've tried yasb a few times but can't get past the nonsense of constant drop-down menus and general disorganized screens. Info below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_9qLJufc1HPfdLBo_YH0wontZv-xVPTC/view?usp=sharing

Also for a demonstration of it's text only output for forum sharing:

N1 redux (197/200)
=================
Naboo Royal N-1: Padmé Amidala (44 + 6)
+ Passive Sensors (2)
+ Ion Torpedoes (4)
Naboo Royal N-1: Naboo Handmaiden (42 + 7)
+ Passive Sensors (2)
+ Adv. Proton Torpedoes (5)
Naboo Royal N-1: Naboo Handmaiden (42 + 7)
+ Passive Sensors (2)
Naboo Royal N-1: Anakin Skywalker (41 + 😎
+ Marksmanship (1)
+ Passive Sensors (2)

I like it. Highlighted icons are equipped is cool.

I don't like that it needs to be online. Living in Bolivia (in a cabin) I have no wifi and must use 'megas' everytime it reloads the same stuff. Artwork and stats should not be online. Only saved squads should be online. But should I choose to dally, browse pilots and their upgrades, and not save, having to do it online is stupid.

Otherwise, they could leave the add ships list in the same place you closed it (choosing a ship) so you don 't have to start from the top everytime. In fact you're better off copying pilots into your squad (than placing them) so that you can return to the list in the same place (named TIE swarm for example).

I had installed the other not yasb app for android the other day as afafags was down. I've wiped it now. This one was up to date instantly and works well.

Edited by Larky Bobble

I like YASB most because of the speed of use. I can start theory crafting in multiple factions with out having to login or create a list.

I really like the new app and that is probably my preference (or will be when they fix the bugs) for mobile use. I do wish that the upgrade names were visible in the condensed view, and that the add ship window used drop downs for ships.

The Pup's initiative cost based upgrades are bugged to zero cost or blank. In some other people's they're unequipable apparently.

Slipped through the QA net, ironically

Edited by Larky Bobble

I’m a big Launch Bay fan. I like building my squad on the iPhone and the Launch Bay app is great.

The collection manager is really good and you can skinny down the options to what you actually have.

The app allows you to record wins/losses and has a built in points calculator.

You can also export your list to text, XWS, TTS, or just print from the app.

I’ve used YASB too and I like it, but if I’m primarily using my phone to manage my squads, I much prefer Launch Bay.

I'd recommend that people say which platform they've had whicj issues with.

For example mine (on android) has no problems with upgrade slots being added by titles or other upgrades. But others are.

It'll help the devs if you let them know which code they need to look at....

Edited by Larky Bobble