Overdrive Thruster's 'if able' ?

By Polynomial-C, in X-Wing Rules Questions

If an attempt at a 2-bank "overdriven" boost would fail because it hits an obstacle, does that mean I can then instead boost with the normal 1-bank still? Or is that not what they mean by the 'if able' at the end?

23 minutes ago, Polynomial-C said:

If an attempt at a 2-bank "overdriven" boost would fail because it hits an obstacle, does that mean I can then instead boost with the normal 1-bank still? Or is that not what they mean by the 'if able' at the end?

"if able" doesn't mean "if successful". That's like asking if you fail a boost going one direction, can you try another.

I'm fairly confident that the "if able" clause is there specifically for the SLAM action and non-existent maneuver templates (ie, you are not able to perform a slam using a 4 speed bank template, because they do not exist). IE "If able to even attempt it". But, im willing to be convinced otherwise.

Edited by Lyianx

agreed, you must use a template of a higher speed, if there is such a template. failing the action does not mean you're unable to use the template, since failing is just a way of resolving the action in a default way.