JiME Painted! (Thanks Sorastro)

By Aaron0013, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

pic5809827.jpg
I want to start this post by saying thank you, thank you, thank you to all those who post their painted minis to this forum. Your ideas have been a HUGE help to me. My second big thanks goes out to Sorastro, who inspired my wife and I to get into this hobby in the first place with his painting tutorials for Journeys in Middle Earth. After watching his videos, my wife and I practiced on some cheap RISK pieces, and then jumped into this set as our first detailed mini painting project! I’ll tell you, it has been a blast for both of us. One thing that I think makes this project unique is that we used only 9 paint colors and 3 washes....because we're too cheap to buy anything else 😆

If there’s anyone reading this who has not painted their set, maybe because you don’t think you would do a good job, let me tell you....If I can do it, you can too! I’m no artist by any means, but I think we all have a God-given desire to see ordinary things become beautiful. I wanted to post these pictures to give you some ideas and inspiration for your own painting. I hope they accomplish that purpose.

Happy painting!
pic5809830.jpg pic5809838.jpg pic5809839.jpg pic5809843.jpg pic5809845.jpg pic5809846.jpg pic5809847.jpg pic5809848.jpg pic5809849.jpg pic5809850.jpg pic5809851.jpg

They look 👍

11 hours ago, wernerkellens said:

They look 👍

Thank you, Werner. Your own work is very inspiring. Thank you for posting it!

That'll liven up the table. Nice work.

1 hour ago, doubletapdaddy said:

That'll liven up the table. Nice work.

Thank you, sir. You may notice we stole some ideas from you. I love your work!

1 hour ago, Aaron0013 said:

Thank you, sir. You may notice we stole some ideas from you. I love your work!

That is very kind of you. It's my daughter that's the better painter in our family. I showed this to her... boy howdy, did you make a 13 y/o's day! 😊

That being said, she REFUSES to paint the Balrog. 😅 She's working on a Warhammer AoS Sylvaneth Treelord now.

That is very kind of you. It's my daughter that's the better painter in our family. I showed this to her... boy howdy, did you make a 13 y/o's day! 😊

That being said, she REFUSES to paint the Balrog. 😅 She's working on a Warhammer AoS Sylvaneth Treelord now.

I think all 3 of you do a phenomenal job. I do love your daughter’s “joker” trolls, though 😂

I’ve almost finished my balrog! Hoping to have it up soon.

Awesome, I cannot wait to see your Balrog. The books, the movies and the lore are so precious to us, that we all fear screwing up the Balrog. Well that, and Gandalf and Legolas and Bilbo and Aragorn and Arwen and the dwarves and so on... but most of all we fear of the Balrog! 😅

No joke. Gandalf judging me while I try to get him painted...

3RBaRlJ.jpg

oFQGCak.jpg

oS6dZAY.jpg

😋

Edited by doubletapdaddy

Awesome, I cannot wait to see your Balrog. The books, the movies and the lore are so precious to us, that we all fear screwing up the Balrog. Well that, and Gandalf and Legolas and Bilbo and Aragorn and Arwen and the dwarves and so on... but most of all we fear of the Balrog! 😅

Honestly, the balrog wasn’t hard. He’s dark and busy enough that flaws are not obvious, and any mistakes that are made can be hidden by floating embers (as shown by Sorastro). Took me about 3 painting sessions, but it was worth it!

Okay yeah, the floating embers technique is awesome. You know it's funny, probably every mini that I paint for now on is going to have floating embers to hide mistakes.

pic5845542.jpg pic5845543.jpg pic5845545.jpg

This one was a ton of fun to paint! I hope it will give you ideas for your own Balrog, if you haven’t painted it yet. Most of these ideas come straight from Sorastro, but I took a little different spin on it and went for a “white hot” look. Can’t wait to get this one on the table!

Wowzers... That came out great! Well done. 👍

Edit: funny that you said it was a ton of fun to paint. I HATE painting. In fact the only hate I have greater than painting is gray on the table... that's the only reason I do it. I mean, I've got a life to live. Lol.

Edited by doubletapdaddy
8 hours ago, doubletapdaddy said:

Wowzers... That came out great! Well done. 👍

Edit: funny that you said it was a ton of fun to paint. I HATE painting. In fact the only hate I have greater than painting is gray on the table... that's the only reason I do it. I mean, I've got a life to live. Lol.

I know what you mean about gray plastic! Thankfully I’m blessed with a wife who likes painting about as much as I do. Can’t wait to get to our boring gray Scythe pieces.