Returning GM, Rules Clarification

By bsan89, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Its been a while since I play SWRPG.
I apologized if these question been answer a thousand times. I tried to do my google and FAQ on the forums.
I'm a bit slow when it comes to reading rules in a game.
I have a few questions...

1.) Set-back dice cap. Errata v20 says max defense is 4. So if I have a Jedi who did "defensive circle" and gets 4 melee defense. And someone swing at him with a damage melee weapon (which give 1 setback dice)
DO I ROLL [5] Set-back dice?

2.) Exceed or meet? PC need to exceed WT or ST to be knock out and receive critical injury. Does this apply to enemies? (minion, rival, nemesis)

3.) Does Triumph kill Minion with highest WT? Example: If I had 2 Minions remaining. One has 4/5 WT and the other one is unscathed. Does it kill the wounded one?

4.) Spending [1] Advantage to give [boost] to next allied. What if they "FORGET" to use it. Can the next allied use it if they forget?

5.) Vehicle vs Infantry, can someone point me out on where to read the rules about Vehicle vs Infantry. I want to make my PC fight against AT-ST. I know that each HULL = 10 soak. And the guns does like x10 damage. They have no rocket just blaster and grenade. Or what if I want a Tie Fighter to strafe them and they fire back?

Thank you all in advance!

1) Yes. Defense is capped at 4, total number of setbacks from various non-defense sources isn't.

3) Minions in a minion group don't have individual Wounds. Five minions with 5 wounds is just a single entity with 25 wounds that shrinks a little every time it loses 5 wounds.

4) This is not covered by the rules. But I'd say no, it's just lost. Just have players pay attention.

5) I'm not sure there even exists rules for this beyond what you stated. In RAW you practically need vehicle scale artillerty to fight back against vehicle. Many groups houserule that x10 modifier for damage into a x5 and have Hull be personal 5 soak instead of 10, to keep things sane.

Edited by micheldebruyn

Welcome back! :)

1) Defense and Setback are similar, but different. There is no real cap on the number of Setback dice, only on Defense. So if the PC has 4 Defense and the attacker has Inaccurate 1, then you'd roll 5 Setback.

2) Exceed. With 12 WT, you must take 13 wounds in order to be incapacitated. This applies to all enemies as well. So it takes 11 damage to outright kill a Stormtrooper, meaning they can sometimes tank a hit from a blaster rifle.

3) Not exactly. Minions have pooled WT, crits deal wounds equal to their WT. So with 2 Stormtroopers, you're looking at a WT of 10. A blaster pistol hits for 1 Success and a Triumph, dealing 2 wounds past Soak (2/10). With the Triumph, you crit, dealing 5 wounds (7/10). Because you are past 5, one Stormtrooper is incapacitated.

4) If they forget, I say just ignore it. Stuff gets forgotten sometimes. Generally try to remember though. If they remember after having rolled, I'd add it to the pool. If they don't remember until after having picked up the dice and/or resolved the check, then just ignore it.

5) If you want them to fight an AT-ST, they'll need some heavy weapons or some creative trickery. In The Mandalorian, for example, the way they fight an AT-ST is to trip it, then throw some explosives inside the cockpit. They wouldn't have been able to take it in a knock-down drag-out fight because it's far too heavily armored.

1 minute ago, bsan89 said:

Its been a while since I play SWRPG.
I apologized if these question been answer a thousand times. I tried to do my google and FAQ on the forums.
I'm a bit slow when it comes to reading rules in a game.
I have a few questions...

1.) Set-back dice cap. Errata v20 says max defense is 4. So if I have a Jedi who did "defensive circle" and gets 4 melee defense. And someone swing at him with a damage melee weapon (which give 1 setback dice)
DO I ROLL [5] Set-back dice?

2.) Exceed or meet? PC need to exceed WT or ST to be knock out and receive critical injury. Does this apply to enemies? (minion, rival, nemesis)

3.) Does Triumph kill Minion with highest WT? Example: If I had 2 Minions remaining. One has 4/5 WT and the other one is unscathed. Does it kill the wounded one?

4.) Spending [1] Advantage to give [boost] to next allied. What if they "FORGET" to use it. Can the next allied use it if they forget?

5.) Vehicle vs Infantry, can someone point me out on where to read the rules about Vehicle vs Infantry. I want to make my PC fight against AT-ST. I know that each HULL = 10 soak. And the guns does like x10 damage. They have no rocket just blaster and grenade. Or what if I want a Tie Fighter to strafe them and they fire back?

Thank you all in advance!

1) Yep! Defence caps at 4, but an Inaccurate or Damaged weapon just adds setbacks, it doesn't increase the target's defence.

2) Exceed. This leads to some slightly weird effects where a group of 4 minions with WT of 5 needs to take 21 wounds to die.

3) They suffer wounds equal to their WT. So this is 'equivalent to killing an uninjured minion'. However, minions don't have individual health, they only have a health pool. This is important when you consider Blast weapons, for example. if 3 minions each of which has 5 WT all suffer 2 damage from a blast weapon, that doesn't leave you with 3 wounded minions- it deals 6 damage, which is > the WT, and so kills one.

4) It's the most reasonable thing to do. You don't need to worry so hard about the specifics of stuff like that- it's not like it imbalances the game unless players keep doing it intentionally.

5) Page 234. There really isn't much, and it's one of the major weaknesses of the system. An AT-ST has 3 armour and 15 hull. Even a rocket launcher only does 20 *personal* damage with breach 1, which means that even with a rocket launcher you can only deal at most 1 damage per hit. You can deal crits if you beat the armour, and that's the only way to down an AT-ST with a rocket launcher.

A TIE fighter attacks against a silhouette 1 (human-size) target at difficulty 3 (2 base difficulty for vehicle attacks, +1 for 2 silhouette difference). On a hit, it deals 70 personal damage, instantly downing any PC. To beat the TIE's 2 armour and even be able to roll a crit, you need to deal 21+ damage, which is nearly impossible with blaster rifles.

A popular fix for this is to switch it so that starship/vehicle-scale damage is x5 instead of x10, but you will still find that vehicles can hit PCs very easily and will one-shot them when they do.

Thank you all!

Do'h! This confirm I been doing WT/ST wrong by not exceeding. My PC will be upset by some of their Crt Injury :D /sweat
Ah ok, Crt to minion is their WT. Not just "rounding up to WT.
Much thanks for the x5 homebrew rule. It still insane damage but seem more reasonable. lol.

1 hour ago, bsan89 said:

Thank you all!

Do'h! This confirm I been doing WT/ST wrong by not exceeding. My PC will be upset by some of their Crt Injury :D /sweat
Ah ok, Crt to minion is their WT. Not just "rounding up to WT.
Much thanks for the x5 homebrew rule. It still insane damage but seem more reasonable. lol.

I actually don't like the x5 houserule for a few reasons. I think it makes planetary-scale vehicles too weak. For example, 1 Success with a Blaster Cannon only does 25 damage, and it is not uncommon for moderately advanced fighters to be able to tank that. 7 Soak and a WT of 24, for example. Still hurts (a lot), but they shouldn't be standing at all .
Or with an Auto-Blaster, we're talking about 20 damage with 1 success.

In my opinion, a hit with a planetary-scale weapon should be a one-shot. We treat non-lethal Planetary-scale hits as hits very close to the target rather than direct hits (adding to the crit for each point of damage past double-WT), and on Despair the target manages to dodge out of the way enough to halve damage (coincidentally meaning we go by the x5 rule on Despair). For the record, we houserule planetary-scale attacks against personal-scale targets. You compare Average to the difficulty for range (personal-scale bands) and upgrade by the lower number. So at Long range, you're looking at RRP.

Likewise, I don't think a blaster rifle should be able to crit a TIE, or a dual hit from an HRB can take out a speeder with 6 HT and 0 armor. I think it's balanced appropriately as is, especially as some vehicles (especially the ones with 0 Armor) were made with the intention that they take a certain amount of damage before they are taken out. For example, the 74-Z has a HTT of 2. That would normally take two hits with a blaster rifle, but now it only takes 1 (with 2 success). That means instead of a crit with a blaster rifle taking out a single scout bike minion, it likely takes out two.

There are particular weapons made to fight planetary-scale enemies. Some are weaker than I think they should be, but mostly I think they work okay. I think a single-shot missile tube that deal planetary-scale damage would be a good addition though.
As a general rule, don't send infantry against tanks without significant support. You'll likely need to send vehicles to counter something like an AT-ST, or else come up with a creative solution.

As to a note of sparing your PCs, a strafing TIE will still be doing 35 damage with 1 Success, which is probably still a one-hit KO (as it should be).

Long and short of it, in my opinion it doesn't do enough to really accomplish what is desired, but it also does enough to unbalance some things and to have a negative effect on narrative.

The big problem is that there shouldn't be just two scales.

Star Destroyers, X-wings, and speeder Bikes should not all be using the same scale. And neither should Krayt Dragons and Jawas.

5) I blame Clone Wars & Rebels for these types of inquiries, I'm not knocking the OP'er.... I recall and episode of Rebels where Ezra is deflecting TIE fighter laser cannon blasts... I just rolled my eyes and thought... that defo is not RAW :D

Imagine a WW2 infantry rifleman sniping at a tank?... If your players want to 'Kid's TV Show It!' show them the error of their ways AND BLAST THEM INTO SMITHEREENS!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

I magine a WW2 infantry rifleman sniping at a tank?... If your players want to 'Kid's TV Show It!' show them the error of their ways AND BLAST THEM INTO SMITHEREENS!!!!!!!

No, but the infantry did have anti-tank weapons like recoilless rifles and bazookas. They weren't always especially effective, but they did exist. Obviously, they were more effective against lighter tanks than they were against the heavier ones, which I think is appropriately handled in the game.

I think the AT-ST is just overstatted. Other than that, I like the system pretty much as-is.