AMG's X-Wing Organized Play article.

By Hiemfire, in X-Wing

10 hours ago, Revanur said:

You have 117 posts according to the info below you avatar. The 207 is your reputation (Aka the amount of likes etc. you received on those 117 posts)

How embarrassing to have been here four years and not realize that! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for setting me straight. 😁

3 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

A large potential problem with narrative events is being able to play them. Like the Battle of Yavin “format” FFG pretended to want to try once upon a time

In all fairness, that coincided with the release of 2.0. Then the battle of D'Qar luanched when resistance and first order got their conversion kits and the resistance a wing. They were very restrictive and I think that was on purpose (both for fluff and to avoid bullying the new kids).

With 7 factions I think they will probably avoid historical battles (unless there is a key marketing tie in) and instead look at scenarios. Like protect the shuttle or other similar objectives).

It will be interesting to see.

13 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

All this talk of when people joined had me trolling through my first few pages of posts.

Here's my best take. "Why not just leave the points off the cards?" The reactions to this are pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Oh, man - you nailed that one like three years before the fact. That was an Oracle level prediction.

I did get a good chuckle out some of those responses... " Sorry to say but very simply, this wouldn't fly". 😆

I just wish they had gone further. There is no reason at all that the official app cannot identify cards using the camera. Lots of ways to make it work.

Then you just aim the camera at your card spread and it creates a digital copy of the list and adds up the points. Could also make it bring up an alert with any pertinent errata.

I've done just enough programming and app development through physics teacher classes to know that it wouldn't have been that hard.

16 hours ago, reqent said:

With 7 factions I think they will probably avoid historical battles (unless there is a key marketing tie in) and instead look at scenarios. Like protect the shuttle or other similar objectives).

It will be interesting to see.

I’d love to see scenarios with different missions every few weeks.

Here’s a novel idea - how about a global campaign? To start, players align with a faction and a Force alignment (light or dark - we’ll touch scum in a moment). Or even just a Force alignment if you want flexibility. Players register with their LGS, or they can create a gaming community to register through up to AMG (assuming no LGS in their area).

Every month, a new mission appears on the campaign page. During that month, you have to play your official event match up that the LGS/community organizer has paired you with, a Light versus a Dark. Report the results back.

AMG tallies the results, and that impacts the next mission.

Maybe alter the timing a bit to allow for downtime to tabulate results or make more frequent games but this could be the core of some awesome narrative.

But what about scum? Have them be the odd balls that fill in for a store when there are odd numbers of Light to Dark.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:45 AM, gamblertuba said:

All this talk of when people joined had me trolling through my first few pages of posts.

Here's my best take. "Why not just leave the points off the cards?" The reactions to this are pretty hilarious in hindsight.

And here is my worst: "Nah, don't worry. Autothrusters on TIE Interceptors will be just fine. Only helps against turrets and they'll still die real easy... 🙄 😬 🤥 "

well to be fair 2/3 of the player base quit when they took the points off the cards. 2.0 drew some new players to replace them but it was a controversial move to say the least. A lot of us just assumed they wanted money enough not to alienate players

I was NOT asking for a new edition. There were a lot of mistakes made with the conversion process. Leaving out printed point cost was not one of those mistakes.

Removing the points cost is the first step to removing the need for new editions. Now all they need to do is keep using the card packs to print new versions of old pilots and price problematic cards out of competitive play.

12 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

well to be fair 2/3 of the player base quit when they took the points off the cards....

LOL I know you're really talented at plucking statistics out of thin air Toothsky, but this is pushing it even for you

On 12/5/2020 at 10:24 PM, Vontoothskie said:

well to be fair 2/3 of the player base quit when they took the points off the cards.

[CITATION NEEDED]

On 12/5/2020 at 9:24 PM, Vontoothskie said:

well to be fair 2/3 of the player base quit when they took the points off the cards. 2.0 drew some new players to replace them but it was a controversial move to say the least. A lot of us just assumed they wanted money enough not to alienate players

More like 2/3 of players quit at the end of 1st edition because they no longer liked what the game had become. And then they never bothered to re-buy for 2nd edition.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:24 PM, Vontoothskie said:

well to be fair 2/3 of the player base quit when they took the points off the cards.

54 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

More like 2/3 of players quit at the end of 1st edition because they no longer liked what the game had become. And then they never bothered to re-buy for 2nd edition.

Well, to be fair, he didn't specifically state they were cause and effect, only that they were contemporaneous. 😎

Edited by Darth Meanie
On 12/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, gamblertuba said:

I was NOT asking for a new edition. There were a lot of mistakes made with the conversion process. Leaving out printed point cost was not one of those mistakes.

Removing the points cost is the first step to removing the need for new editions. Now all they need to do is keep using the card packs to print new versions of old pilots and price problematic cards out of competitive play.

My point (which I clearly could have stated better) was that the reaction back then made sense. removing points was a dealbreaker for a lot of 1st edition players who had watched their beer and pretzels casual game morph into a 40k type competetive game that embraced toxic game concepts. thus the reaction to suggesting a deathknell to casual x-wing wasnt suprising.

23 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, to be fair, he didn't specifically state they were cause and effect, only that they were contemporaneous.

Either way, CITATION NEEDED.

Believe it when you see it. Promises are free, and execution is everything.