AMG's X-Wing Organized Play article.

By Hiemfire, in X-Wing

Not a lot to it but at least it's communication.

Inbefore people not reading:

1. Better (mostly?) participation prizes at store level
  2. Also narrative/other alternate game modes at store level
  3. Large events depend on the COVID situation for 2021 - which is perfectly reasonable
  4. They plan on continuing the large events as they were done before once possible - which would mean a form of nationals, system opens, continentals, worlds
2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Inbefore people not reading:

1. Better (mostly?) participation prizes at store level
  2. Also narrative/other alternate game modes at store level
  3. Large events depend on the COVID situation for 2021 - which is perfectly reasonable
  4. They plan on continuing the large events as they were done before once possible - which would mean a form of nationals, system opens, continentals, worlds

1) it does not say better, just equeal ;). The stuff they do for MCP is an easy pas for me. But looking forwards to see what they come up with for x-wing.

1 minute ago, Dwing said:

1) it does not say better, just equeal ;). The stuff they do for MCP is an easy pas for me. But looking forwards to see what they come up with for x-wing.

Fair. I meant better as "more compared to now"

would like to see scenario based game ops...Like what they used to do with STAW. I also think an alt paint scheme ship would be a cool Op prize for a month long campaign game..

20 minutes ago, reqent said:

Not a lot to it but at least it's communication.

And it's where it belongs: AMG's website, not some obscure chatroom thread that half the players would have no idea to look for.

But this:

events that feature alternate game modes, highly focused narrative events

Yay!!

51 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Fair. I meant better as "more compared to now"

How do you know that, though?

Everyone getting a common alt art for playing as the only prize support is 'equal for all participants' but not better.

200 - 6 deathmatch is dead (not really)

Long live objective play

All hail AMG

They bring the fun alternate gamemodes

They bring narrative play

They bring prizes

Rejoice, your fear is misplaced

12 minutes ago, Roller of blanks said:

200 - 6 deathmatch is dead (not really)

Long live objective play

All hail AMG

They bring the fun alternate gamemodes

They bring narrative play

They bring prizes

Rejoice, your fear is misplaced

Sorry, but I’ll wait and see.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

And it's where it belongs: AMG's website, not some obscure chatroom thread that half the players would have no idea to look for.

But this:

events that feature alternate game modes, highly focused narrative events

Yay!!

I knew that would catch your eye - was on my way to tag you but I see you got here first. :)

IMO, this is the first sign of positive news from the change up. I was at best indifferent and at worst ready to call it all a complete game. This is something I can work with, and hope it turns into some solidly great gaming

Narrative events has piqued my interest, but those are also notoriously hard to design. I'll wait and see. I'm sure it will take some time to get their feet under them, but I can be patient since I'm a filthy casual.

Help me out here. I started X-Wing during lockdown, so haven’t done a tournament ever. What does “200/6” mean? Obviously the 200 is the standard points limit. What’s the “/6” bit?

29 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Help me out here. I started X-Wing during lockdown, so haven’t done a tournament ever. What does “200/6” mean? Obviously the 200 is the standard points limit. What’s the “/6” bit?

200 point, 6 round Swiss tournament, that was the meat and potatoes of tournaments. Everything else was normally a variation of that.

Depending on size you can then top 32 etc.

Edited by Archangelspiv

200 point squadrons and 6 obstacles was my take on 200/6.

Narrative events and alternative game modes sounds good, I've wanted to try some more scenario-based stuff but the local scene is quite heavy on standard format tournament players.

2 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

200 points per player / 6 obstacles on the field.

14 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

This is not at all the most important communication from either AMG or FFG. What is going on with the announced expansions for these three games through the end of March 2021. That's what I want to know.

It is more or less what is to be expected: exactly what we want to hear.

It is also neither here nor there until events can be a thing again.

4 hours ago, Frimmel said:

It is also neither here nor there until events can be a thing again.

Well, for thier own game, AMG at least had a plan:

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/op-announcement

The new Marvel: Crisis Protocol Organized Play will continue to focus on the local game store as the central hub for the community. However, our organized play will no longer take place in a large single-day event. Instead, Marvel: Crisis Protocol events will have flexible scheduling to take place over however many days the retailer and their community chooses in order to allow players the time and ability to schedule games with each other at the store or another location of their choice in a manner that allows for proper social distancing practices. To provide players an easily accessible way to connect and help schedule games, we recommend that stores look to using social media outlets like Facebook groups or other responsible social distancing communication systems that best suit the community's needs.

When a store runs an event, the overall structure recommended will look like this:

• The store orders the event kit from their distributor.

• The store advertises the event to its players.

• Once the store receives the kit, players may come to the store to sign up for the event. When a player signs up, they receive all event materials required to play in the event.

• Players then use the store's community connection system to schedule games with each other at the store or another location of their choice.

• Once the players have played their games, they return to the store and collect their play rewards.

I'm not sure if this all came to fruition, but it's way more proactive than "Oh crap!! Hey, you guys wanna beta playtest solo play?" and "We're bummed about staying home too. Tag us #playandshare on FB!!"

Instead, as usual, it was the players themselves that started organizing online TTS tournaments to keep things alive.

7 hours ago, Ysenhal said:

Narrative events and alternative game modes sounds good, I've wanted to try some more scenario-based stuff but the local scene is quite heavy on standard format tournament players.

This has been a perennial problem for the more casual player who would like to do some public X-Wing. For myself, no one wants to play Epic at my FLGS. When I asked, the response was flat and disinterested. So, I only show up when I'm desperate enough to want to bother with 2 rounds of Standard.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:20 AM, Cpt ObVus said:

...I started X-Wing during lockdown...

You joined the forum less than a year ago and already have over 1100 posts?

Most impressive.

I've been on four years and only have 207. No.. wait! 208 now!!! 😆

4 hours ago, Scrivner said:

You joined the forum less than a year ago and already have over 1100 posts?

Most impressive.

I've been on four years and only have 207. No.. wait! 208 now!!! 😆

You have 117 posts according to the info below you avatar. The 207 is your reputation (Aka the amount of likes etc. you received on those 117 posts)

They have a few months at least before they need to announce anything definitive about OP. But before spring (and, Force willing, widely available vaccines) show up, I would very much to see a road-map with some details about both FLGS and competition level events.

And FFG or AMG, either one, should be teasing the next round of squadron packs shortly. You don't want to go through December with absolutely no unreleased product announced. I know they may not be available for a while but knowing they are on the way will help spur purchases of what is out there now.

All this talk of when people joined had me trolling through my first few pages of posts.

Here's my best take. "Why not just leave the points off the cards?" The reactions to this are pretty hilarious in hindsight.

And here is my worst: "Nah, don't worry. Autothrusters on TIE Interceptors will be just fine. Only helps against turrets and they'll still die real easy... 🙄 😬 🤥 "

44 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

All this talk of when people joined had me trolling through my first few pages of posts.

Here's my best take. "Why not just leave the points off the cards?" The reactions to this are pretty hilarious in hindsight.

I recently stumbled into a reddit thread on the release of the RZ2. The stuff people wrote there, like: "Lulo has basically exposure built in, the worst card of 1.0, he will be bad."

Followed by months of lulo being the single most frequent pilot 🤣

Edited by GreenDragoon
On 11/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, Tervlon said:

Narrative events has piqued my interest, but those are also notoriously hard to design. I'll wait and see. I'm sure it will take some time to get their feet under them, but I can be patient since I'm a filthy casual.

A large potential problem with narrative events is being able to play them. Like the Battle of Yavin “format” FFG pretended to want to try once upon a time - as a Scum (and then CIS) player, the only ships I have that are even playable in that are the three from the core set.