Mortar on Occupier

By ThorinXV, in Rules

What do you think, would it be legal to deploy a shore mortar being transported by an Occupier tank if the Shoretroopers the mortar is detached to is in move 1 distance?

If yes it should be a very interesting to put the mortar onto the tank and fire support it.

I don't see why not. I think the E-Web is an even better choice for riding the tank, though, and it's only 17 more points.

37 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

I don't see why not. I think the E-Web is an even better choice for riding the tank, though, and it's only 17 more points.

Yeah, that's right. But the mortar could fire Support the tank. If you do it right that tank get basically Arsenal 3 with it.

On 11/21/2020 at 10:48 PM, ThorinXV said:

Yeah, that's right. But the mortar could fire Support the tank. If you do it right that tank get basically Arsenal 3 with it.

yeah but all your doing at that point is adding a few white dice and critical 1, the tank already has suppressive and while critical 1 is nice they can't all fire at the same target anyway as the mortar is 3-4 and the tanks front gun is 1-2, you may as well just fire it on a seperate activation and have and extra aim or fire support another unit to give it suppressive.

22 hours ago, 5particus said:

yeah but all your doing at that point is adding a few white dice and critical 1, the tank already has suppressive and while critical 1 is nice they can't all fire at the same target anyway as the mortar is 3-4 and the tanks front gun is 1-2, you may as well just fire it on a seperate activation and have and extra aim or fire support another unit to give it suppressive.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the little front guns on the Occupier. Most people bring a pintle gun and combine that with the main gun.

55 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the little front guns on the Occupier. Most people bring a pintle gun and combine that with the main gun.

hmmm, fair point, no one has one at my FLGS so i forgot it had the Pintle guns, pair its arsenal 2 with fire support from that and you would have a nice attack, 4r 2b 3w with impact 3, critical 1 and suppressive, not sure if you could use after the tank has moved though so i would have to check that as it has cumbersome but yeah i could see that working pretty well

1 hour ago, 5particus said:

hmmm, fair point, no one has one at my FLGS so i forgot it had the Pintle guns, pair its arsenal 2 with fire support from that and you would have a nice attack, 4r 2b 3w with impact 3, critical 1 and suppressive, not sure if you could use after the tank has moved though so i would have to check that as it has cumbersome but yeah i could see that working pretty well

The tank doesn't have Cumbersome, and that keyword has nothing to do with using Fire Support. It would work.

17 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

The tank doesn't have Cumbersome, and that keyword has nothing to do with using Fire Support. It would work.

don't the new rules say something about if the tank moves you only get one action or something, and the Mortar is cumbersome so there may be an interaction there

and yeah fire supprt would ignore that, i wrote that at the end of a long day yesterday, my brain was not firing on all cylinders :P

2 hours ago, 5particus said:

don't the new rules say something about if the tank moves you only get one action or something, and the Mortar is cumbersome so there may be an interaction there

and yeah fire supprt would ignore that, i wrote that at the end of a long day yesterday, my brain was not firing on all cylinders :P

Yeah, trying to erase the old rules and supplant them with the new is crippling me.

The riding unit loses an action if the vehicle moves before it right? You don't gain benefits from Tactical for example while riding, correct? I've heard of people talking about putting Han in a speeder and flying him around or the E-web on the Occupier. It seems like a way to get both killed quicker to me. Yes you get heavy cover, and you get carted around, but that's it, right?

Trying to get Aim or Dodge tokens seems difficult, which a lot of units benefit from. I guess the Eweb could always get some from Veers.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

The riding unit loses an action if the vehicle moves before it right?

You can only perform 1 action if the vehicle performed more than one standard move. The compulsory move is a standard move for the speeder. So the transported unit gets 2 actions if the vehicle only performed one move or if it goes before the vehicle that round.

So you can shoot and scoot with Han in a speeder if you get your order sequence right and get multiple moves out of the speeder. If the mortar support fires, it doesn't need the aims since the other unit is the attacker. But you're right that dodges will come in handy in all cases with the vehicles having larger profiles and heavy cover only goes so far.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:41 AM, arnoldrew said:

I use the little front guns on the Occupier. Because I put Scout Troopers in my Occupier. You could still use a pintle gun if you wanted to pay the extra points but im not convinced its worth it the way I use the Occupier which is to rush it up the board with scouts inside it.

I think Scout Troopers are one of the best units to put in the Occupier now. Even though theyre only range 2 their attack pool is absolutely bonkers. 10 black dice with sharpshooter and pierce 1? yes please. And the Occupier Tank gives them heavy cover which directly addresses their survivability problem.

The only issue is getting the Occupier Tank within range 2 of its target. But since you measure range from the base of the Occupier it does effectively extend the range of the scouts due to the occupier being so long. thats very good.

Theres also theoretically the advantage of being able to drop a sonic charge then move away and detonate it in the same turn without hitting your own models. Although I havent tried it yet because ive only used naked scouts or scouts with the sniper.

The eweb is still hot garbage, it needed a substantial buff and didnt get it; like range 4 or maybe even the barrage generator actually giving barrage. And im not sure why you need to put a mortar inside the occupier tank when the mortar has such good range on its own. It should already be able to fire support the occupier from almost anywhere on the board without having to be loaded in the back of the occupier.

Edited by Khobai