Struggling Imperial Fleet

By BCvalor, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

I have played small variations of this fleet 3 or 4 times. I like it, but I am sure if I took it to a competition of any scale, it would not do super well. I have been playing casually, and I dont really know the upgrade cards that well. What changes could I make to make this better? Im kinda looking for a way to keep defense tokens for the Vics, but really any help would be nice.

Name: Untitled Fleet
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Assault:
Defense:
Navigation:

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Grand Admiral Thrawn (32)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Heavy Turbolaser Turrets (6)
• Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (5)
= 162 Points

Victory II (85)
• Gunnery Team (7)
= 97 Points

Victory II (85)
• Gunnery Team (7)
= 97 Points

Squadrons:
• 2 x TIE Interceptor Squadron (22)
= 22 Points

Total Points: 378

The Victory II is generally considered to be grossly overpriced - and incapable of maneuvering properly.

IF you are going to run it, it REALLY needs to add Disposable Capacitors.

2 Ints is worthless.

4 Ints with a few Reserve Hangar Decks are strong.

Not sure what ships and upgrades you have at your disposal.

I would agree with Green Knight in that you need DCaps on those VICS you have plenty of points to make it happen. Also agree that 2 Generic TIE Int's isn't going to be any help at all. Green Knights suggestion is solid but I would also suggest going with Ciena Rea and Valen Rudor as an alternative if you really want a small squad force. They are more survivable and can probably take a couple squads with them before they are toast.

I ran something similar in a local tournament when I first started playing (those were the ships I owned and I had borrowed the upgrades). I ran Motti instead of Thrawn and the points went towards more TIEs. I think I had squeezed Shield Techs on the VSDs too. Tough as nails and really forgiving for a new player. Went 1-2 over three rounds.

I agree with the points above about DCaps. The other big issue I ran into was it was way too easy for my opponent to limp away any crippled ships and the formation of star destroyers was way too cumbersome to chase anything down. Left far too many points on the table. Not sure how you squeeze in a good finisher (couple rogues maybe?), but that might be what's missing.

Replace at least 1 Victory with GSD2, add IF.

11 hours ago, miek p said:

I agree with the points above about DCaps. The other big issue I ran into was it was way too easy for my opponent to limp away any crippled ships and the formation of star destroyers was way too cumbersome to chase anything down. Left far too many points on the table. Not sure how you squeeze in a good finisher (couple rogues maybe?), but that might be what's missing.

Yeah I almost lost a match yesterday cuz the ISDs and VSDs couldnt turn around. I do see how their menouverability is a huge weakness. Firepower isnt quite nice enough to get a guarenteed kill, and you cant chase anyone down.

3 hours ago, BCvalor said:

Yeah I almost lost a match yesterday cuz the ISDs and VSDs couldnt turn around. I do see how their menouverability is a huge weakness. Firepower isnt quite nice enough to get a guarenteed kill, and you cant chase anyone down.

Harrow is an excellent 3-pt card that makes the VSD MUCH better.

If you run a Cymoon, I'd say that Intensify Firepower! (and flotillas with Comms net to fuel it) is almost mandatory.

Alternatively, Moff Jerjerrod would fit this fleet better, I think.