Revealing cards outside of the quest phase with empty encounter deck

By steve83, in Rules questions & answers

I'm playing through the Khazad-dum quests, and the following issue came up: I entered the combat phase engaged with 5 enemies, but only one card left in the encounter deck. So I dealt the shadow card to the enemy with the highest engagement cost, and the other 4 enemies did not get one (yay!) as per the rules.

One of my heros had Watchful Eyes attached, which forces you to reveal a card from the encounter deck if the hero isn't ready at the end of the combat phase. But I needed to use him to help kill off the enemies, and had used up all my readying on defenders.

Am I right in thinking that I am free to use this hero this phase, effectively without triggering Watchful Eyes, as the encounter deck is now empty, so I cannot reveal a card from it?

(I played it this way.)

Edited by steve83

Yes. Unless otherwise stated on the encounter, shadow, location, enemy or quest card, you only reset the encounter deck at the very beginning of the quest phase.

It's a whiff, enjoy it!

6 hours ago, player3351457 said:

Yes. Unless otherwise stated on the encounter, shadow, location, enemy or quest card, you only reset the encounter deck at the very beginning of the quest phase.

Thanks! Although I think that it resets any time it empties during the quest phase, not just at the very beginning, according to the Rules Reference:

If the encounter deck is ever empty during the quest phase, the encounter discard pile is shuffled and reset back into the encounter deck.

Unless there is something I am missing.

(So, if the encounter deck empties before the end of the quest phase, you still have to reset it and deal any shadow cards later.)

Edited by steve83
4 hours ago, steve83 said:

Although I think that it resets any time it empties during the quest phase, not just at the very beginning, according to the Rules Reference:

I conferm, at any time the encounter deck is empty during the quest phase it resets.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:01 AM, steve83 said:

Thanks! Although I think that it resets any time it empties during the quest phase, not just at the very beginning, according to the Rules Reference:

Unless there is something I am missing.

(So, if the encounter deck empties before the end of the quest phase, you still have to reset it and deal any shadow cards later.)

You are correct... my apologies for any confusion. I was thinking in the context of the deck resetting, the beginning of the quest phase is the first opportunity.

Although even that is incorrect... you could play a guarded card and that would reset it first