Transitioning from NotZ to Dunwich

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

After multiple runs through the first two scenarios of Night of the Zealot, I'm getting ready to take on the third scenario (Devourer Below) and then move on to Dunwich Legacy. Looking ahead, I'd appreciate a few tips in advance.

1. Is it recommended to play the new investigators included in the Dunwich expansion? Or is it acceptable to mix in an investigator from the Core Set? I definitely want to try Zoey Samaras. But I haven't yet played Daisy Walker, so thinking of taking her along for the ride.
  2. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on purchasing a second Core Set. Is it time? Seems like it will eventually become essential.
  3. None of the new Dunwich investigators have an agility higher than a mediocre 3. Should I be concerned about that, possibly mitigating by pairing Zoey with Wendy? I really appreciated the tactic of using Roland's combat skill with Wendy's high evade in NotZ.
  4. Investigators always start a new campaign with zero experience, right?

If anyone would care to offer opinions on other investigator pairings for Dunwich Legacy, I'd love to hear it. Just no spoilers, if you don't mind. Thanks guys!

Edited by Sir_Blacksoutalot
Added question #4.

1: Take whatever investigators you like, really. It's recommended to strike a balance in terms of roles and abilities, and certain investigators are more or less well-suited to certain campaigns, but don't feel like you should restrict yourself to only the new investigators.

2: I certainly recommend a second core set at some point, particularly if you intend to play with more than 2 investigators - I never for a moment regretted getting two core sets - but if you have only a certain amount to spend I'd probably go for new scenarios. There's no hard and fast rule as to when you should get a second core or anything.

3: Having less than 4 agility isn't the end of the world in Dunwich - particularly if using Zoey, who is very good at killing enemies dead in the first place. There's situations and scenarios where evasion can be handy in every campaign, but I wouldn't say you need to take an investigator just for that (certain other campaigns, notably The Forgotten Age, are another story). In fact, in Dunwich, I'd say Willpower is the more important stat to have - and 3 of the 5 Dunwich investigators have 4 Willpower with the others at 3. And 3 agility isn't bad - nothing that Unexpected Courage and Manual Dexterity can't fix.

Zoey/Daisy is a perfectly solid pair and pretty much a classic (2 investigators, one a dedicated fighter like Zoey and one a dedicated clue gatherer like Daisy or Rex, is a good basis for a 2-person group, especially early on). The other combinations I'd recommend are two generalists - say, Agnes and "Ashcan" Pete.

4. If you're keeping the old decks from your core campaign, you'll begin Dunwich with whatever experience (and trauma, and weaknesses) you ended the last campaign with. If you're building new decks though, they'll always start at 0xp. You could even make new decks with the same characters and start at level 0 again.

I ran Dunwich with Rex and Jim, and I took a lot of Trauma. If I could do it again, I've have made Jim more of a black mage, given him more of a combat focus from the start. It could have been a viable pairing, but someone really needs to be able to destroy some monsters at certain points. Also, as I learned from TFA, evading can be really useful. Exhausting monsters allows for a lot of possibilities.

Also - if you're moving on to your first full campaign, I'd reco usuing the opportunity to start over with new decks and investigator types. It's actually an important skill in the game as a whole to learn how cards can interact with each other, how to focus your build, but still be versatile, etc. You'll probably make some mistakes, but it also gives you a chance to learn from whatever mistakes you may have made with your NotZ decks. I'm on my 4th campaign now, and still figuring it out, so starting early is probably gonna be helpful!

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the tips!!

And Sarre, your post just above couldn't ring more true. I'm trying to expand perspective, but man it takes a long time to set up and play through a game. I've only managed to fit in one session per weekend so far. Looking forward to getting in more play during the upcoming holidays.

So I'm seeing that, unlike the Learning to Play manual from the Core Set, the Campaign Guide for the Dunwich Legacy doesn't have prescribed Investigator Decks. Is it recommended to create starter decks from the Starter Decklists resource?

Or should I go to arkhamdb.com and use their Decklists tool to find one I like? Though I'm not really sure how to even begin that search.

Any suggestions for how to set up for a Dunwich Campaign with Zoey and a second gator?

EDIT: Hrrmmm....maybe this arkhamdb.com Hall of Fame is the way to go. Thoughts?

The good thing about using the starter decks on FFGs site is that they only contain cards from the Core set plus the campaign you're playing with...so if that is reflective of your card pool, it could be useful...but apart from that, it is not really recommended.

I find ArkhamDB to be a great way of building decks. The Hall of Fame is good for some examples but they may require a larger card pool. If you can't manage to build a deck that you like, in the Hall of Fame, with the cards that you have, just try to follow the general theme of the deck and swap in cards that you do have. Remember that AHLCG is not really about deck optimisation so much as creating something that is fun and adaptable. It is good to try out new cards rather than just try to work out what the 'best' card is.

Edited by Dr Dee

I've recently found the "PlayingBoardGames" youtube channel and I really enjoy their Arkham Horror LCG Videos. They're doing a series on deckbuilding every investigator that you might enjoy (here's Zoey's):

Also, you can go to Arkhamdb -> Decklists -> Search -> On "Cards used" just type Zoey, and "Sort by Number of likes" and you'll find the best rated decks for each investigator (also you can click on "Select Allowed Packs" to allow the packs that you own and discard decks that contain cards that you don't own)

Thanks Henry, that "PlayingBoardGames" site has a lot of helpful vids. I just watched like five of them.

I'm def standing firm playing Zoey in Dunwich, but still working on who that lucky #2 gator is going to be. Will probably stick with my original plan and go with Daisy Walker since I haven't tried out her Seeker class yet, plus that extra action on a Tome ability seems pretty sweet.

Since Zoey is really good at combat, Daisy will be a great partner to find clues

Also - definitely read The Dunwich Horror before playing. Dunwich Legacy is basically a sequel to the story, so the events and characters will have more resonance if you know what's supposed to have come before.

We used Zoey and Daisy our first time through Dunwich. I had fun looking back at those decks, assembled with just one core set and the deluxe box. Zoey was wielding Knives and Kukris!

Meat Cleaver Zoey ("Zoey's Bloody Hands") is still one of my favorite deck designs for sheer thematic appeal.

Edited by Carthoris

Also - definitely read The Dunwich Horror before playing. Dunwich Legacy is basically a sequel to the story, so the events and characters will have more resonance if you know what's supposed to have come before.

Sarre, thanks for that perspective.

As a matter of fact, I just recently finished reading Cthulhu Mythos Tales , which of course includes Dunwich Horror. A great gift for the holidays for those still searching for that special sumthin-sumthin!

Assuming I go with teaming up Zoey and Daisy, I have a question about a couple of their cards:

For Zoey , does her reaction ability ( After you become engaged with an enemy: Gain 1 resource. ) trigger for each enemy that engages her at a given time? Like if two hunter enemies move to her location and both engage, does the reaction trigger for each one? Or does it only trigger for the first enemy that engages?

For Daisy, her Necronomicon signature weakness card indicates it occupies a hand slot. But the card text instructs to put Necronomicon in Daisy't threat area. So is this tome card still considered to take up one of Daisy's hand slots?

Zoey's reaction triggers once per enemy, with no limit. If there was a limit it would specify something (e.g the first time, once per phase, ...)

Daisy's Necronomicon does take up a hand slot even thought it's in her threat area. However, as it's in here threat area, anyone at her location can trigger the action to move a horror to Daisy. Not likely to often be a case for doing this - maybe someone has actions to spare in order to free up the hand spot for Daisy to play a tome.