Squadrons Medals and Difficulty

By Synel, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Playing Star Wars: Squadrons on veteran difficulty is certainly a challenge. Even more so is getting all of the aurodium medals. I’ve basically accepted that it might not be possible for me to get the time completion medal for some of the missions, but I’ve been trying to get all of the objective and “complete without dying” medals. Does anyone have any tips for generally better combat flight strategies and loadouts when playing the story on veteran?

To speak of one mission specifically, it’s the one about rescuing agent thorn. I can get through the whole mission until I have to protect the shuttle. But then it seems impossible to take out all of the x-wings before they do significant damage to it while it flees.

Thanks in advance!

50 minutes ago, Synel said:

Playing Star Wars: Squadrons on veteran difficulty is certainly a challenge. Even more so is getting all of the aurodium medals. I’ve basically accepted that it might not be possible for me to get the time completion medal for some of the missions, but I’ve been trying to get all of the objective and “complete without dying” medals. Does anyone have any tips for generally better combat flight strategies and loadouts when playing the story on veteran?

To speak of one mission specifically, it’s the one about rescuing agent thorn. I can get through the whole mission until I have to protect the shuttle. But then it seems impossible to take out all of the x-wings before they do significant damage to it while it flees.

Thanks in advance!

You need to "spam" the ping target aspect. As soon as you see something headed for an objective you need to protect you need to lock it and hit triangle (PS4) and have your mates go after it. Blows up you do it again. If no targets make sure you ping what you need to protect so the squad doesn't wander off. With Thorne you need to concentrate on just the stuff going after the shuttle. If you can blow that up fast enough your squad can take care of the rest. That's why you have to keep on top of them with pinging targets. They tend to lose focus or get caught in their own troubles.

I did the campaign on Ace and tended to trying to maximize health and damage output when I had loadout options and/or fighter choice.

@Frimmel , for aux weapons when you need to protect something, do you find lock-based (for accuracy and power) or dumb fire (for speed) weapons better?

1 minute ago, Synel said:

@Frimmel , for aux weapons when you need to protect something, do you find lock-based (for accuracy and power) or dumb fire (for speed) weapons better?

Depends on the non-fighter things I need to shoot. Most lock-based can also be dumb fire so I tend to either dumb fire only or choice of lock or dumb fire. I don't usually use lock required secondary. Mostly X-wings/TIE ln with concussion and rockets.

I was finally able to get the medal last night. A major difference in loadout that seemed to help me was taking the hull upgrade. Even though it decreased maneuverability, it helped me line up targets easier (the hyper sensitive engines weren’t swiveling me all over the place) and it allowed me to barrage rocket joust the rebels coming from the planet. When it came to protecting the shuttle’s escape, your advice about spamming the attack target option, @Frimmel , really helped. I didn’t know it made that much of a difference. I usually just targeted shuttle and said “defend”. Anyway, thanks a lot for the help!!!

2 hours ago, Synel said:

I was finally able to get the medal last night. A major difference in loadout that seemed to help me was taking the hull upgrade. Even though it decreased maneuverability, it helped me line up targets easier (the hyper sensitive engines weren’t swiveling me all over the place) and it allowed me to barrage rocket joust the rebels coming from the planet. When it came to protecting the shuttle’s escape, your advice about spamming the attack target option, @Frimmel , really helped. I didn’t know it made that much of a difference. I usually just targeted shuttle and said “defend”. Anyway, thanks a lot for the help!!!

I'm glad you made it. Don't forget about spamming. Especially when you need to take down a bigger ship.

Having your squad do all the work on the highest difficulty is also a necessity. You have to spend most of your time just trying to stay alive as you are almost always the only thing getting shot at. You make your wingmates do everything but the plot point only YOU can do it moments.