Must. Try. Everything.

By Asaverino1019, in X-Wing Squad Lists

In an attempt to get out of my rut of lists built around Ruthless Interceptors, B-wings, and Finch/Vennie, I've decided to start making lists that mostly include ships and upgrades I've never used before. The goal is to try out as many new components as possible, and only include "usuals" if they synergize with a new ability. Here is my inaugural list for spamming unfamiliar upgrades:

(33) Jarek Yeager [Fireball]
(4) R6-D8 Astromech
(2) Kaz's Fireball
(2) Coaxium Hyperfuel

(47) Lieutenant Bastian [T-70 X-wing]
(3) R3 Astromech - Reuse
(3) Underslung Blast Cannon
(4) Targeting Synchronizer - Reuse

(49) Nimi Chereen [T-70 X-wing]
(3) Underslung Blast Cannon

(36) Nodin Chavdri [Resistance Transport]
(3) Tractor Beam - Reuse
(6) Korr Sella
(4) Larma D'Arcy

Total points: 199

Overall I was pleased with this list. Nodin/Korr/Larma was an awesome combo and was able to keep one X-wing double moded most of the game while retaining her own combat efficacy. Underslung blaster was a nice addition, and by the late game it accounted for the only shots my X-wings were able to take. I'm not sure if the 13 points for the whole set up of two blasters, Synchronizer, and R3 is worth it when you can have two copies of Snap Shot at 14 points with fewer usage restrictions. As I was mainly flying against I5s, Nimi's ability was great. Unfortunately I was rarely able to capitalize on it because I forget about Synchronizer on Bastian and spent most of Nimi's actions on target locks for the blaster. I can see where the Coaxium/Fireball combo could be useful, but the one time I got it to go off I pulled a Direct Hit which kept me from attempting a stressed slam for the rest of the game. On the other hand I feel like R6 may be under costed. There was only 1 attack all game where Yeager wasn't able to use R6's ability on at least 1 die.

First off - thanks for posting! The lists board has been a little slow recently and it's fun to try and digest some new stuff. It's taken me a while to respond because I've not played the majority of that stuff either, and wasn't too sure what it all did!

Things I like about it:

• As a head-sim exercise Nodin seems super fun as a support ship
  • I also like the Bastian / R3 / Target Synchronizer / Underslung Blast Cannon synergies
    • I don't think it's fair to compare it with two copies of Snap Shot
      • Presumably R3 is useful in and of itself
      • The fact that it's a turret gives it some extra flexibility
      • It's going to get more cost-efficient if you add more X-wings with the underslung blaster
    • Bastian is a neat choice because of the free target locks, but I wonder whether an I1 would be even better to get the locks before anything else moves
  • Jarek Yeager's the part of the list that I'm least keen on
    • In theory cheap I5 could be good
    • I just worry about 2-die primary
    • If I kept him (especially with Bastian / Target Synchronizer about) maybe look to add missiles?

Suggestions for changes:

• Either:
    • Drop Nimi and Jarek for two generic T70s with Underslung Blasters
      • Going all in on the bonus shots
      • Could fit BB8 and Automated Target Protocol on Blue Squadron Rookies - might be neat to get free calculates
  • Or:
    • Drop Coax and Title on Jarek for Cluster Missiles
      • With that droid Jarek can focus most of the time and potentially get double mods on synchronized cluster missile shots

Neat to be thinking about different stuff - thanks again!

:)

Edited by eljms
Automated Target Protocol + Underslung Blasters could be a thing?
On 11/18/2020 at 10:55 AM, eljms said:

Things I like about it:

• As a head-sim exercise Nodin seems super fun as a support ship
  • I also like the Bastian / R3 / Target Synchronizer / Underslung Blast Cannon synergies
    • I don't think it's fair to compare it with two copies of Snap Shot
      • Presumably R3 is useful in and of itself
      • The fact that it's a turret gives it some extra flexibility
      • It's going to get more cost-efficient if you add more X-wings with the underslung blaster
    • Bastian is a neat choice because of the free target locks, but I wonder whether an I1 would be even better to get the locks before anything else moves
  • Jarek Yeager's the part of the list that I'm least keen on
    • In theory cheap I5 could be good
    • I just worry about 2-die primary
    • If I kept him (especially with Bastian / Target Synchronizer about) maybe look look to add missiles?

The point of this list was to try as many things I’ve never flown before as possible, which makes it less than optimally designed. Some of it had potential and I agree with your thoughts and suggestions for the most part.

I agree that the R3/Target Synchronizer/ Underslung gets much greater returns with more copies of Underslung. I’ve since tried a list with New Snap as the R3 Synchronizer and 3 Blue Squad X-wings that worked out pretty good. But for just 2 X-wings I think 2 copies of Snap Shot for 1 point more is a better option if you’re looking for a bonus attack.

If I were to optimize this list I would drop Coaxium and the title from Yeager. They’re nice gimmicks and have some fun uses but those points could be better used to try and switch Yeager for Kaz. I would keep R6 though. That was a solid upgrade.

I'm keen to try out a very basic Jarek Yeager, with maybe only Intimidation and nothing else (maybe a cheap illicit if there a few spare points).

At initiative 5, he can slam into a bump with most things that move at I4 or earlier to proc Intimidation.

And at around 36 points he's not depriving the rest of the squad too much either.