Changing heroes that have been badly received?

By Humantorch101, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

19 hours ago, Derrault said:

One thing I’d note is that Hulk, because his default deck has only 3 allies, you must be extremely self-conscious about getting those into play to have mitigation for turns where none of the thwarting event cards come into hand. I’d strongly consider adding in Nick Fury, Miles Morales, or perhaps War Machine, just to give another option.

Oh I'm not even thinking of his pre-con. It contained a lot of good cards for the aggression aspect but a lot of them are bad for Hulk. Way too many costly cards. Martial Prowess barely even combos with his kit.

There are so many different things that they could have done with Hulk. What we got is a character that doesn't play how I think that a lot of us think that Hulk should play.

I've been playing with him recently on Standard difficulty (my default is Expert) and I've had some enjoyable games. In my opinion, Hulk is the weakest hero released so far, but there is still some fun to be had using him.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:47 AM, jonboyjon1990 said:

Oh I'm not even thinking of his pre-con. It contained a lot of good cards for the aggression aspect but a lot of them are bad for Hulk. Way too many costly cards. Martial Prowess barely even combos with his kit.

I mean, it works with Hulk Smash and Crushing Blow, so what else do you need?

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

I mean, it works with Hulk Smash and Crushing Blow, so what else do you need?

It doesn’t work with Hulk Smash, which is kind of the point I think...

12 minutes ago, FearLord said:

It doesn’t work with Hulk Smash, which is kind of the point I think...

Whoops, I was thinking it had the Attack keyword

edit: Although it does work on Drop Kick and Toe to Toe, so with Crushing Blow that’s 8 targets.

Edited by Derrault
On 11/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, FearLord said:

I think you could keep the theme, but make him a bit better if you gave Hulk immune to stun and draw a card whenever he takes damage (to represent his growing rage)

I'd be very pleased if somebody made this into a printable card. 😁

On 11/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, Derrault said:

One thing I’d note is that Hulk, because his default deck has only 3 allies, you must be extremely self-conscious about getting those into play to have mitigation for turns where none of the thwarting event cards come into hand. I’d strongly consider adding in Nick Fury, Miles Morales, or perhaps War Machine, just to give another option.

What do you think about Lockjaw in a Hulk deck?

Fist Resource. Can be played from Hero-side (4-card hand) from the discard pile to get 4 THW for 4 Resources (mathematically 3 when played from the discard pile).

And where is this Miles Morales card you speak of?

Edited by IceHot42

Lockjaw seems like a good fit for Hulk. This good boy has the resource type Hulk likes and being playable from the discard pile is nice since Hulk can't cycle his deck as quickly as other heroes. A decent source of THW is more important to Hulk in solo than group games and might just be handy to have with 2+ heroes around.

Spider-Man (Miles Morales) is coming out in the Wasp pack. He's up on Hall of Heroes, don't know where the card was originally previewed or confirmed.

8 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

What do you think about Lockjaw in a Hulk deck?

Fist Resource. Can be played from Hero-side (4-card hand) from the discard pile to get 4 THW for 4 Resources (mathematically 3 when played from the discard pile).

And where is this Miles Morales card you speak of?

I'm on board with Lockjaw as a good safety valve for every deck, especially on turns where you're in desperate need of a few turns of thwarting.

Spider-Man (Miles Morales) was revealed as being a part of Wasps deck in the Quicksilver and Wasp/Ant-Man play of Rise of Red Skull.

Basic, 3 cost, 1 THW, 2 ATK, 3 HP, Champion. Response: After you play Spider-Man from your hand, choose THW or ATK. Spider-Man gets +2 to the chosen power until the end of the phase. 1 physical resource.

As a predominantly solo player (thank you COVID) I personally have found most of FFGs takes on the Marvel Heroes and Villains spot on. Thor and Hulk are the two disappointments. Thor's Lightning Strike can be so much better handled by Caps Shield toss its almost criminal. Hulk can deal 13- 15 damage in one punch, 23-25 if you get really really lucky (I've never achieved it but its possible) with your cards BUT with a bit of planning and patience Captain Marvel can deal a whopping 27/8 damage in one turn (and I've done this about 10 times now in play both solo and as part of a team). Now I'm taking nothing from CM - she is now one of the top heavy hitters in the Marvel Universe (depending on the writer) but Thor and Hulk are the ones the villains are always worried about and that just doesn't come across in the game. Yes Thor, with thought, planning and Asgard can be made to work but he's still just mid-tier. I'd always prefer the two Captains in a team before thinking of Thor. That's ridiculous as in the comics you always want Thor. Also Thor cannot do any where near the damage CM can dish out in a turn which also is wrong. However Thor can work once you know how to play him.

Hulk on the other hand just feels a bit of a let down. He only gets to do his big hit twice per deck and can be screwed by tough, stunned or exhaustion. Again using Captain Marvel as an example she has an Energy Channel ready to go that she has been building up over time from excess energy she wasn't able to use (such a good ability), a photonic blast in hand plus at least one energy but she is stunned. No problem, she uses her basic attack then deals 10+5 damage and draws a card. Hulk on the other hand has Hulk smash and three physical in his hand of 4 but because he is stunned he can't use it because he only has one basic attack. The same is true of if the villain was tough or he's exhausted. His Hulk Smash is wasted and he is forced to switch to Banner in the hopes he can do it next turn. Captain Marvel or other Heroes don't have that problem. Frankly I wish Hulk had been given something similar to Energy Absorption with Gamma keyword being a factor. So far that Gamma keyword means nothing and doesn't help Hulk a bit. I agree with many that Banner should have a hand of six just like She-Hulk. Hulk Smash should also have had piercing ignoring tough and Hulk's stun affect could have been lessoned by discarding a card rather than having to attack and pretty much ending his turn.

In summary Thor can be learnt to work but he never really feels like the Thor from the comics or the movies. Thor struggles as a solo on Expert or above and even on standard he can be embarrassed. Thor is dependant to a certain extent on the rest of his team to handle threat especially if the villain has few minions in his deck.

Hulk is a real struggle on solo even on standard against villains that stun or exhaust Hulk or who have loads of minons like Ultron or schemes like Red Skull. Hulk in a team is dependent on the other players keeping the threat down. If you have a group, like mine, who prefer playing certain heroes and protection aspect only, this can be a real problem. I like playing Iron Man Justice but having a Thor or a Hulk in that mix tends to guarrantee the villain winning because unless I'm lucky Iron Man isn't getting into play for 2 to 3 turns and that might be too late to deal with the threat. I'm not going to force my team mates to choose other heroes and/or aspects but it does mean I have to change especially if we have someone who wants to play Thor or Hulk. I am sure I'm not alone here. Hulk needs a team roster that is designed to cater for his specific strengths/weaknesses more than Thor.