Star Wars Miniatures moving to Atomic Mass Games

By Kirjath08, in Star Wars: Legion

i just heard about this, is FFG itself just being a figure head for stuff or what

I haven’t played MCP often enough to know how well AMG handles balance and errata, but I’ve never had an issue getting the MCP minis I’ve wanted, and the sculpts are generally rad, so...

Cautiously optimistic.

Edited by KalEl814
5 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

I haven’t played MCP often enough to know how well AMG handles balance and errata, but I’ve never had an issue getting the MCP minis I’ve wanted, and the sculpts are generally rad, so...

Cautiously optimistic.

Same. I'm working through painting my MCP minis now, and the newest releases (the X-Men sets) are awesome.

8 minutes ago, zhentil said:

i just heard about this, is FFG itself just being a figure head for stuff or what

It seems like Asmodee wants to make Fantasy Flight a pure board game company like they used to be. They split RPGs off a while ago, and now miniatures games are moving as well.

14 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

Cautiously optimistic.

I would say they’re at least as good as FFG, imo better.

Reading the press release it looks like the creative staff will also be making the move. So other than a different logo on the packaging I don't think there will be any major changes.

My only issues with CP is

1. Price. It is alot more expensive than legion, the models look amazing though
  2. Card Design. Don't know if this has been improve but the unit cards were ugly in the core set.
4 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

It seems like Asmodee wants to make Fantasy Flight a pure board game company like they used to be. They split RPGs off a while ago, and now miniatures games are moving as well.

Don't forget that the accessories were also moved.
Personally, I think this is coming from even higher than Asmodee, that PAI Partners is having Asmodee specialize their subsidiaries. For one thing, it makes it easier to track which "departments" of the organization is doing well (AMG being all the miniatures, Edge Entertainment RPGs, Gamegenic card sleeves/accessories, etc etc) rather than trying to determine how well RPGs are doing as opposed to miniature games by checking the breakdown of 5 different companies.

1 minute ago, Lukez said:

2. Card Design. Don't know if this has been improve but the unit cards were ugly in the core set.

Like @DFocke I am not expecting any major changes to anything. Likely all of the major staff will be making the move (I have a hard time imagining Alex and Luke not being part of the game anymore). Price could maybe change, but they just recently made price changes, and I doubt this has any impact whatsoever on manufacturing.

4 minutes ago, Lukez said:

My understanding is the licensing fee is quite a bit more for the Marvel stuff, and that's why the price tag is so crazy. MCP is a super fun game though, and very thematic. Hopefully the designers will rub off on each other and improve each others' games. I've always felt Legion was under-staffed and never able to keep up with design.

Just now, Lochlan said:

Like @DFocke I am not expecting any major changes to anything. Likely all of the major staff will be making the move (I have a hard time imagining Alex and Luke not being part of the game anymore). Price could maybe change, but they just recently made price changes, and I doubt this has any impact whatsoever on manufacturing.

I doubt we will see any change in prices as a result of the move. MCP isn't that out of line in price, their kits are two model boxes for about the cost of two Legion characters.

20+ piece models with WTF sprue design for every figure! 😜

Crisis protocol is a great game, that is hampered by superfluous elbow pad piece sprue layout.

I think we will be okay.

I'm so happy this is happening.

FFG was better suited for board games. They lack the capacity to really make any of these games thrive. In 2012 when Star Wars was still years away from seeing it's first movie since the 80s it was the perfect niche studio to release a tabletop/board game hybrid. Today, in the world of new Star Wars products every year and Disney + streaming, a real studio will carry these games to their true potential. I suspect they'll treat this with great care, as it stands to make them more money than God.

Edited by Darth Sanguis
15 minutes ago, Lukez said:

Card design seems about the same on newer models like the X-Men sets. I hate those weird oversized character cards, but when you're only fielding 5-8 miniatures or so, it's not a deal breaker.

I think the key questions immediately are around

1) The RRG update. Will this be released via FFG, and will the update see us through the likely blackout during transition?

2) Announced and leaked releases. Will the development pipeline be affected - I.e. will team members be transitioning from FFG, or will development balance be affected by changes in the team?

3) Most importantly from my perspective - implications for English language stock in Europe. Will we get restock?

I think the bigger concern is if the OP group is moving over as well. As far as I know, MCP is specifically designed as a "casual" game, with little to no larger tournament support. So it will be interesting to see how this change affects the organized play of the Star Wars miniature games.

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I think the bigger concern is if the OP group is moving over as well. As far as I know, MCP is specifically designed as a "casual" game, with little to no larger tournament support. So it will be interesting to see how this change affects the organized play of the Star Wars miniature games.

They just recently did a balance update for competitive play. I think the only reason that they didn't have a tournament season as of yet was because covid delayed it.

11 minutes ago, Decarior said:

They just recently did a balance update for competitive play. I think the only reason that they didn't have a tournament season as of yet was because covid delayed it.

Covid certainly gives everyone breathing room for a GREAT RESET.

Even the Davos crowd. 😉

Just now, Decarior said:

A company can do balance updates without having a "tournament season." They also had time to start a tournament season (and promptly shut it down) before Covid hit. But as far as I know, there were no big AMG run tournaments planned for any conventions.
The official tournament rules also uses a three round tournament with completely randomized pairings, with no consideration of "ranking." No rules for Swiss or Single Elimination are provided, nor is there any guarantee of determining a "winner" at the end of the event. The most recent "Organized play" pack was a Crisis event, not a traditional tournament pack.

1 hour ago, zhentil said:

They are going to be a dedicated board/card game company.

51 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

They also spun the card sleeves and other accessories off not long ago.

I hope the future balancing is carried out and not forgotten or done wrong. I am 2 expansions away from what I see as great potential for the CIS faction in the tournament scene. Double tanks, repair and observe. Potent stuff.

Edited by PhoenixOfCopper
I forgot a word

Funny, I only began watching the Marvels last night for the first time. Mostly so Id have an excuse to try some Crisis Protocol.

My only hope is that the team behind Legion remains. It's the only mini game that ever kept my interest consistently.

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I'd note that the lead developers at Atomic Mass used to be at Privateer Press when Warmachine/Hordes were at their heydey as tournament-grade games. While the company might have only produced one non-competitive game, the dev team is stocked with seasoned tournament scene veterans.

I'm extremely excited to see them take this on.

Like most, I'm not sure what to make of this. My first thought was that this was corporate raider 101 - separate corporate assets into smaller, sell-able units.

Hot housing all the TT games in one group seems like a smart move, but I was never overly impressed by Will Shick's era of Warmachine (not sure how much creative control he actually had mind you and PP looks like a down-trending company of late). A bit of a toss up there for me.

CP minis have always looked iffy compared to the Knight Model's Marvel minis* and the most recent Legion hard plastic is quite good (ok, B1s were tricky to assemble), so I certainly hope we get to keep the Legion design and production staff. Frankly I am hoping the Marvel CP minis quality improves because of this and some of my game group have been pushing for us to try it.

*The story behind KM's losing the Marvel TT license is pretty hilarious. One of the dumbest series of business decisions in gaming.