Hit the Accelerator!

By Dark Don, in Star Wars: Legion

Just ordered the land speeder.

I am curious about how many of you have used it and loaded it out.

2 hours ago, Dark Don said:

Just ordered the land speeder.

I am curious about how many of you have used it and loaded it out.

The X-34 is bit outdated, specially compared with the new vehicles. Its cost and the cost of its weapons/upgrades are a bit high for what the land speeder can bring to the table.

Most of us have hope on the new RRG (maybe next week?) where Alex Davy suggested some features of the "old" vehicles will change.

You might have bought it at the right time. With the rrg this could be sought after model. If its points are fixed and there is better synergy with r2 their may be a viable list that focuses on it carrying r2 to the enemy deployment and back

The landspeader came in at a really bad spot. Vehicles have never been strong and it was overpriced when it first came out. Made worse by the airspeeder being way way worse. Which meant the poor landspeeder became the red haired stepchild and got no love. Hopefully you made a great call in buying it the week of point changes with FFG having an eye on both OT stuff and making heavies really good!

As for loadout I would say fully kit it out and put it on a flank, it can really put out some firepower or just throw out three suppressions all over the place. It is also somewhat hard to kill and fine it works just fine in casual play. Pretty sure it will work the same after the changes, but will just be at a much better price point

Despite its points being too high, it's a fun model to play with. There are a few builds it can run with.

You can keep it bare bones and use it as a character delivery device. R2, Luke, anyone you want to get up close fast. Then displace units with your compulsory move and shoot up close to spread around suppression. Maybe Comms Jammer to mess with things when you get there.

As a gun boat, you can put 3 range 3 guns on it (rifle, rocket, mark II) and hit units on the flank. Cover 2 (cover 1 pilot is nice) and Armor 2 helps keep it alive but you don't want to take on multiple enemy units.

As an alternative gun boat, run 2 range 4 guns and keep the enemy at a distance. Slap on HQ Uplink since you'll want to recover often with the M-45. It gives you activation control over it and keeps that Heavy order token out of your pool. The hard part of this strategy is aiming towards the enemy, having to compulsory move every turn, while trying to stay outside of range 3.

Once the points update comes out, some of these may be more viable in a few weeks.

It's underwhelming.

20 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

As for loadout I would say fully kit it out and put it on a flank, it can really put out some firepower or just throw out three suppressions all over the place. It is also somewhat hard to kill and fine it works just fine in casual play. Pretty sure it will work the same after the changes, but will just be at a much better price point

I've played it several times, the problem is that to get into range with all you're weapons, you have to be at range 3. Even with aim, you may not be doing much damage. One unit of shoretroopers that rolls decent defense/offense, can easily wipe out your landspeeder (or just put 4-5 wounds on it and make it lose one of its overpriced weapons) and take an alpha strike, making your landspeeder go down in flames.

Edited by buckero0

do not take the rocket gunner. ever. its not worth 36 points.

the landspeeder is only 118 points if you take the medium blaster and rifle gunner.

the main use of that configuration is to hit upto 3 different units with suppression.

it is worth 118 points? no. but its way better than the 145 points youd pay if you took the rocket gunner.

Edited by Khobai
3 hours ago, Khobai said:

do not take the rocket gunner. ever. its not worth 36 points.

the landspeeder is only 118 points if you take the medium blaster and rifle gunner.

the main use of that configuration is to hit upto 3 different units with suppression.

it is worth 118 points? no. but its way better than the 145 points youd pay if you took the rocket gunner.

I second this. I had an extreme amount of fun running two of them with this load out. Don’t feel like you always HAVE to split fire though. One concentrated attack at a unit out in the open can do some fair damage when the opportunity presents itself.

So he rocket gunner doesnt come in handy with AT-STs roaming the field?

10 minutes ago, Dark Don said:

So he rocket gunner doesnt come in handy with AT-STs roaming the field?

I find that Ion weapons are more worth the points going up against vehicles, especially with Heavy support. Just be prepared to have that unit focused on! I'm more of a casual player though, not sure how ion does in the tournament scene.