[SPOILER ALERT] Dream Eaters Epilogue Resolution 5

By royalfa, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hi there

I don't quite understand the ending in this one.

The booklet says that both teams encounter in the dreamlands and the investigators won the campaing BUT the team B became insane two sesions ago then

the team A was able to rescue them or the are insane in the dreamlands?

thanks.

Can you provide more information about exactly what you're asking? I'm a little confused. Are you asking about Epilogue 5, or Resolution 5 to one of the two final scenarios?

I think you're referring to a situation in which Where the Gods Dwell results in Resolution 5 (" the dreamers travelled beneath the monastery ) and Weaver of the Cosmos results in Resolution 4 (all investigators are driven insane , " the investigators never escaped "), or in which Where the Gods Dwell results in Resolution 4 and Weaver of the Cosmos results in Resolution 5, taking you to Epilogue 15 or Epilogue 12 respectively. Both these Epilogues result in "The two groups were reunited in the Dreamlands", and "The Investigators win the campaign!".

However, if " the investigators never escaped ", Group B is driven insane even though the epilogue indicates that Group A went to rescue them. I can see how that might be counterintuitive. I think that the investigators being driven insane is indicative of spending their entire lives trapped in the Dreamlands, and means they would be unable to progress on to another campaign. I think it's the case that Group B was trapped for an indefinite amount of time in the Underworld before finally being rescued by Group A - and regardless of whether they were able to retain their sense of self in the meantime, everyone is permanently resident in the Dreamlands, so in this case being insane is less about having had one's mental state shattered by the events one has witnessed, and more that they will never be able to return their psyches to the waking world. Admittedly, that's something of an extrapolation.

Edited by Allonym

I have that precise conflict.
In Weaver of the Cosmos the team B never found the exit, but then when the "dreamers travelled beneath the monastery" one of the final phrases in the campaing says:
"the two groups were reunited in the dreamlands"

As you write then is to assume the team B spend a lot of time (eons) in the "other dimension" and when the team A rescue them their psyches were shatter to a point of no return. lol

Thanks!!

Royalfa“As you write then is to assume the team B spend a lot of time (eons) in the "other dimension" and when the team A rescue them their psyches were shatter to a point o f no return. lol”

Either shattered psyche’s, or they simply couldn’t be talked into going back. Group A is there in the flesh and made that choice to rescue their friends, so may have a better grip on reality. Group B is there in their heads and were swept into the Dreamlamds while they were in a susceptible state. I think they’re struggling more with what is and isn’t real.

We just played it as a mini campaign with only the dreamers and they are all currently gloriously insane, (but loving their alternate realities...and really, who can blame them?)

Edited by Mimi61