Veteran N00B-stincts

By Kleeg005, in X-Wing

There was an idea recently floated in the Shuttle Tydirium Podcast Facebook page that I think has some merit. It went along the lines that it might be instructive to have some of the podcasters/streamers out there do a series in the same vein as the 186th Squadron's Veteran Instincts, but have s-tier players use lists culled from the bottom results of some of the recent online tournaments. The idea is to see if these supposedly weak lists are really and truly weak, or if in the hands of "expert" players they might have some real merit, given some practice. Anybody out there want to run with that? Y'all got the connections? At the very least, I reckon it would be entertaining to watch or listen to something that wasn't the same three lists over and over.

19 minutes ago, Kleeg005 said:

There was an idea recently floated in the Shuttle Tydirium Podcast Facebook page that I think has some merit. It went along the lines that it might be instructive to have some of the podcasters/streamers out there do a series in the same vein as the 186th Squadron's Veteran Instincts, but have s-tier players use lists culled from the bottom results of some of the recent online tournaments. The idea is to see if these supposedly weak lists are really and truly weak, or if in the hands of "expert" players they might have some real merit, given some practice. Anybody out there want to run with that? Y'all got the connections? At the very least, I reckon it would be entertaining to watch or listen to something that wasn't the same three lists over and over.

Awhile back I had looked into a new "practice" format for groups of players to experiment with that would be less about endless Meta Matchup crunching and more about a kind of X-Wing Curriculum that is shared learning stuff oriented. Imagine Book Club energy where instead of book of the week you have a matchup or archetype concept of the week. Probably a way to make it work and fun but I didn't pursue it any further because players really genuinely enjoy making and playing their own lists which this directly conflicts with given everyones limited time.

Format: X-Wing Celebrity Deathmatch

· Two preset lists a week that everyone plays

· 45 Min Games

· Must play each list once against the other list

· No Ranking or W/L Tracking

· Players who complete both games can submit Archetype Matchups for next week

· Prize Support: The Friends You Make Along the Way

Matchups: These are just samples can be detached entirely from current meta and use the weak lists you mentioned instead. I like that because simple lists tend to boil down concepts better.

· 5X vs FOCHO

· Boba Fenn vs 4 CLT Knights Broadside

· CIS Swarm 7-8 Ship vs 4 BA Rivas

· 5 Nantex Greivous vs Vader 5th 7th Countdown

· Falcon VCX + Thing vs Zizi Kaz Rose Pava Bastian Yager

· Kylo Holo + 2 vs Obi Plo + 3

Edited by Boom Owl

I ran a league at the FLGS last year, with a mix of DWYWM and curated list restrictions to avoid any "fatigue" and to encourage exploration. It was entertaining for the regulars, who are all a bunch of filthy casuals anyways, and did draw in one or two newer players. But there's only so much experience we can draw from each other, all of us being less than world-class, ha ha. That's why I'd to see a full stream and commentary treatment.

45 minute games? That’s like two rounds of Swarm play.

Hey

Lloyd and i really like the concept. if whoever came up with it doesn't mind us using it we may start trying to recruit some top players and get a new series going.

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/c/186thSquadron

On 11/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, Kleeg005 said:

We're doing it! Look out for it on our channel in the coming weeks. We have, legitimately, 2 of the best players in the world, along with a Squad Leader Mining Guild TIE, and Nodin Chavdri (the Resistance Transport pilot).

youtube.com/c/186thSquadron

On 11/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, Kleeg005 said:

The idea is to see if these supposedly weak lists are really and truly weak, or if in the hands of "expert" players they might have some real merit, given some practice. Anybody out there want to run with that?

I like it! Two thoughts:

1. It's like a less janky janktank.

2. Many "expert" players are only considered to be that because they were really good with a really strong list.

Some basics are entirely transferable skills. Understanding distances, actions+triggers, card interactions, dice probabilities, or your opponent's list is always good.

But sometimes that is not enough. Playing a list well often needs repetition. And barely anyone is willing to invest time into their list with the knowledge that their list is probably bad.

I would watch that. There is a big difference IMO between a player that makes a list work and a player who netlists and plays it to death before a major tournament.

Watching XY and Akhter Khan at the last Aus Sys Open was great to watch. XY’s CIS swarm was not what you would expect to be and Akhters Rebel list was pretty basic but he is an excellent player that flew it amazingly all day.

Both of these players have featured this year in GSP tournaments and have shown they can fly anything well and finish high in the tournament.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:01 PM, GreenDragoon said:

2. Many "expert" players are only considered to be that because they were really good with a really strong list.

For sure. Both of the players we have on are expert players in every regard, and I think it's fair to say, play an excellent game with mediocre or worse lists. :)

We have Bartosz Wójcicki and Faan Langelaan in episode 1, and have have just recorded game 2, with another 2 world class players.

The first episode should be released on Tuesday 12th Jan, over at youtube.com/c/186thSquadron

Edited by sweetsweetdoughnuts

...And it's live! 2 of the best players in the world. 2 of the worst (performing) lists. Does the list make the man, or is it more complicated?

Welcome to The Bad Batch.

Edited by sweetsweetdoughnuts
formatting

This is beautiful. Thanks for making it happen. I will skedaddle on over as soon as I am able

7 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

This is beautiful. Thanks for making it happen. I will skedaddle on over as soon as I am able

And thanks for the suggestion. It was a lot of fun to make!

Episode 2 of the Bad Batch should drop in 2 weeks.

Does it show anything if two bad lists play each other? Shouldn't it be a bad list vs a good list to see if the experienced player can get good results? Two bad lists fighting each other is just jank tank? Still fun to watch, but doesn't prove a bad list is good in the right hands. Like take the two YT and transport list above. I would like to see Bartosz fly that against a top 10 list to see if he can get better results.

23 hours ago, wurms said:

Does it show anything if two bad lists play each other? Shouldn't it be a bad list vs a good list to see if the experienced player can get good results? Two bad lists fighting each other is just jank tank? Still fun to watch, but doesn't prove a bad list is good in the right hands. Like take the two YT and transport list above. I would like to see Bartosz fly that against a top 10 list to see if he can get better results.

Let's make it expert with bad list vs noon with good list