Another Generic Romodi Onager Fleet

By Flyinpenguin117, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

Onager-class Star Destroyer (110)

• General Romodi (20)
  • Captain Brunson (5)
  • Fire-Control Team (2)
  • Weapons Battery Techs (5)
  • H9 Turbolasers (8)
  • Superheavy Composite Beam Turbolasers (7)
  • Sunder (10)

Total: 167

Arquitens-class Command Cruiser (59)

• Director Krennic (8)
  • Enhanced Armaments (10)

Total: 77

Gozanti-class Assault Carriers (28)

• Hondo Ohnaka (2)
  • Comms Net (2)
  • Expanded Hangar Bay (5)

Total: 37

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23)

• Minister Tua (2)
  • Slicer Tools (7)
  • Electronic Countermeasures (7)

Total: 39

Squadrons:

• Howlrunner (16)
  • Dengar (20)
  • Cienna Ree (17)
  • Soontir Fel (18)

Total: 71

Fleet total: 391

Assault: Ion Storm

Defense: Asteroid Tactics

Navigation: Dangerous Territory

So pretty basic Romodi strategy. 9-point bid for second, objectives that let me place and/or ignore all obstacles so I can set lines of obstruction.

Onager is built around H9/Battery Techs to get off Sunder and SCBTs. Brunson gives it some extra durability since it'll want to hang out on/near obstacles. Arquitens can use ConFire+Obstruction to throw 6 red dice with full rerolls off Krennic. The Assault Gozanti is mainly a carrier, but it can throw 2 red dice with Romodi (3 with ConFire dial), or pass an emergency token if necessary. The Cruisers just troll with Slicer Tools, and both can throw themselves between the Arq/Onager for obstruction if necessary.

Doesn't bring a lot of squadrons so I tried to pack as much synergy into 4 as possible. Dengar and Howlrunner effectively give the Interceptors Counter 4, Dengar gets 4 dice, Howlrunner gets Counter 1, Soontir Fel hits anything trying to target his support, Cienna just hits hard and is hard to kill.

I've considered condensing the squadrons and the Arquitens into a Cymoon-1 (the original fleet had all 3 and one Gozanti with Thrawn at the helm). I'd be vulnerable to large fighter groups, but I feel like an Onager and ISD should be able to kill carriers pretty quickly.

Edited by Flyinpenguin117

I would be tempted to:

Drop the command cruiser to a light cruiser. You aren't using the support team slot and it would save 5pts. You could put Centicore on it its place (for 3pts). That means that you could command squads without having to use a squadron dial (obviously it has to come from a Gozanti) and your Arquitens wants really to be either doing maneuver or concentrating fire.

I haven't ever used Slicer Tools, so don't know how good it is, but if it were my fleet (given that I don't use ST at all) I'd drop it and run another assault Gozanti with Comms Net, to give you a second means to toss CF to Krennic and the Onager. Personal taste only.

A further thought - why not Gunnery Chief Varnillian? If you're 2nd player you can set her die to any face you like for crit triggering.

8 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

I would be tempted to:

Drop the command cruiser to a light cruiser. You aren't using the support team slot and it would save 5pts. You could put Centicore on it its place (for 3pts). That means that you could command squads without having to use a squadron dial (obviously it has to come from a Gozanti) and your Arquitens wants really to be either doing maneuver or concentrating fire.

I haven't ever used Slicer Tools, so don't know how good it is, but if it were my fleet (given that I don't use ST at all) I'd drop it and run another assault Gozanti with Comms Net, to give you a second means to toss CF to Krennic and the Onager. Personal taste only.

2 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

A further thought - why not Gunnery Chief Varnillian? If you're 2nd player you can set her die to any face you like for crit triggering.

I've gone back and forth on using the cheaper Arquitens. Even if I'm not using the support team slot, squadron 2 and an extra blue in the front is worth 5 points I don't have much else to spend on. Onager's maxed out, I can't fit much more than a generic TIE in squadrons (which I'll have less ability to command), defensive retrofit other than RBDs cost more than I'm gaining, and I don't want to invest more points than I already did in the Gozantis. I could maybe slot in Hand of Justice (which would be funny with the Slicer Gozanti refreshing its Scatter), or just increase my bid to 14 points, but idk. If I drop it on account of not using my front arc much/at all (for the blue die), I'd probably also reduce Enhanced Armaments to Slaved Turrets.

Slicer Tools (and command dial screwage in general) I feel is something people rarely see, so they're not prepared for when they do see it. A VSD losing its Navs, carriers losing their Squadron dials, or anything missing a clutch repair can hurt. Its mainly there as an annoying-to-kill source of obstruction, Slicer Tools is just a bit of a bonus (if I wanted to go full annoying I'd add Tractor Beams and Suppressor to exhaust defense tokens and slow down small ships, but that's a lot of points for a Flotilla)

As for Gunny V: The build I have already produces crits pretty consistently. Unless I roll 3 blank reds I can guarantee a crit, barring evades. So I feel like I'd get more mileage out of doubling up on my 3 different critical effects than adding one more crit die once or twice (if I steal a crit from a later attack) per game. If I were running her, it'd be alongside Veteran Gunners to reserve good dies out of bad rolls, and probably with OBPCs and XI7s (this is what I'd use alongside a Cymoon-I if I went that route).

Here's a revised list anyways:

Onager-class Star Destroyer (110)

• General Romodi (20)
  • Captain Brunson (5)
  • Fire-Control Team (2)
  • Weapons Battery Techs (5)
  • H9 Turbolasers (8)
  • Superheavy Composite Beam Turbolasers (7)
  • Sunder (10)

Total: 167

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54)

• Director Krennic (8)
  • Enhanced Armaments (10)
  • Electronic Countermeasures (7)
  • Hand of Justice (4)

Total: 83

• Hondo Ohnaka (2)
  • Comms Net (2)
  • Boosted Comms (4)

Total: 36

• Comms Net (2)
  • Boosted Comms (4)

Total: 34

Squadrons:

• Howlrunner (16)
  • Dengar (20)
  • Cienna Ree (17)
  • Soontir Fel (18)

Total: 71

Assault: Ion Storm

Defense: Asteroid Tactics

Navigation: Dangerous Territory

Definitely understand your thinking and what you are doing and I can see how it all hangs together. (I have a similar squad build, with Mauler Mithel instead of Dengar, and it is very expensive to kill and does a lot of damage).
The suggestion for Varnillian was because you want as many crits as you can get, because each crit is 1 extra damage point, and she's a way to pile extra pain on. You can use her to take a crit die from your salvo or a second shot out of a flank and save it for your ignition attack, for example.

I would be interested to hear how you fared, because I rarely use the Star Destroyer variant.