Question from the FAQ

By Ismar, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I am confused by this from teh FAQ.

Rules Reference, page 18, Last Stands: A bullet point should be added to the end of section 54.3 to read, “If a hero has a number of faceup damage cards equal to or greater than their damage limit or a number of faceup fear cards equal to or greater than their fear limit, that hero cannot pass any last stand test. When performing a last stand test, that hero must select the ‘Fail’ button.”

Does that mean that I can only pass a last stand if some of the damage/fear is face down? So if I have a limit of 4, no more than 3 of it can be face-up?

3 minutes ago, Ismar said:

Do es that mean that I can only pass a last stand if some of the damage/fear is face down? So if I have a limit of 4, no more than 3 of it can be face-up?

So it would seem. Never knew there was a rule on that

2 hours ago, Ismar said:

Rules Reference, page 18, Last Stands: A bullet point should be added to the end of section 54.3 to read, “If a hero has a number of faceup damage cards equal to or greater than their damage limit or a number of faceup fear cards equal to or greater than their fear limit, that hero cannot pass any last stand test. When performing a last stand test, that hero must select the ‘Fail’ button.”

Well since passing a Last Stand only discards facedown Fear/Damage even if the hero passes the test you will then immediately need to make another one (at +1 difficulty) since you are still over your Fear/Damage limit and so forth until you fail. The rule basically tells you to avoid doing a lot of unnecessary tests since the end result is unavoidable.

Edited by Alonewolf87
2 hours ago, Ismar said:

Does that mean that I can only pass a last stand if some of the damage/fear is face down? So if I have a limit of 4, no more than 3 of it can be face-up?

If you have a Fear limit of 4 and you have 4 face up Fear cards than yes you are basically out of the game.

11 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Well since passing a Last Stand only discards facedown Fear/Damage even if the hero passes the test you will then immediately need to make another one (at +1 difficulty) since you are still over your Fear/Damage limit and so forth until you fail. The rule basically tells you to avoid doing a lot of unnecessary tests since the end result is unavoidable.

Wow, so obvious I can't believe I didn't realize that. Thanks.