Republic Dorsal Swarm

By LeMightyASP, in X-Wing Squad Lists

After the success of dorsal turret Agressor swarm, I wanted to see if something similar could be done with republic Ys

Wolfpack Dorsals

(32) R2-D2 [BTL-B Y-wing]
(4) Wolfpack
(1) Synchronized Console
(2) Dorsal Turret

(29) Red Squadron Bomber [BTL-B Y-wing]
(1) Synchronized Console
(2) Dorsal Turret

(1) Synchronized Console
(2) Dorsal Turret

(1) Synchronized Console
(2) Dorsal Turret

(1) Synchronized Console
(2) Dorsal Turret

(1) Synchronized Console
(2) Dorsal Turret

Total points: 199

How would you build this archetype?

I'm not a fan of strain if your only blue maneuvers are 1 and 2 straight.

Just deal with it when you get fired on, you go from 1 die down to zero. You probably don't even notice it.

It's a surprisingly solid list, I'd seen some builds pre-Wolfpack that just fill up with dorsals and a few bombs scattered around.

6 beefy ships with 180 arc coverage is a great knife fighting list, and it probably looks great on the table too.

I feel there’s some kind of control element missing. A big part of what makes the Aggressor list so good is Sloane tossing out the stresses and the benefit of attacking stressed ships. So not sure how to get that into this list. Maybe sacrifice the Syncs and Wolfpack strategy here to get an ion turret or two for that control element.

Edited by j_man_04

From the battle reports sub forum. Scroll down to near the bottom of the thread to see Ryuneke's 3 Silencers go against a swarm of republic Y wings.

I kinda like it. SynCon is a surprisingly nice upgrade. Using R2-D2 to Wolfpack and just shuffle some locks around seems like a nice bit of kit. Sling those locks around.

//

A very different Dorsal Swarm was crossing my mind:

• Sinker
  • 3x Dorsal Red Y
  • 2x Gold Torrent

I think there's a small number of points spare. Anyhow, premise being that you'll have Sinker rerolls on the approach, then once the scrum starts, you've got the option to fly past and have your Dorsal with Focus. Sinker doesn't buff the Dorsals (heck, he might be dead before you use them!), but Sinker is there for the Front Arc primary weapons, and Dorsals are more a perk. It'll also just be a lot of hit points to chew through. Should have similar offense on the approach to a traditional Sinker Swarm. What it does is trade the threat-diversification of the 6th ship being a pocket ace for extra toughness of upgrading two Torrents to Y-Wings and the utility of 3 turrets. Is that worth? Eh, hard to say. Probably not much worse.

Edited by theBitterFig