Looking for more Rebel advice (Op Luke, Wonder Twins, etc.)

By realsoupersand, in Army Building

I put the game aside for a while and am now getting back to working on my armies. I'm looking for some help getting the most out of my Rebels. I'm especially interested in Operative Luke, Cassian, and K2, but they eat up a major chunk of my points.

I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have an Op Luke list they can share? Preferably 10+ activations. I'd much rather use Op Luke if I can, but he's so expensive :(

2) How the **** do you play Wonder Twins? Every time I've tried it, Leia feels so underwhelming. I feel like I'm using her wrong.

3) What units support Luke best? Tauntauns are great, but they seem too expensive to run alongside him. Flamethrower RTs also seem great, but I worry they'll never get a single shot off. Rotary RTs seem really underwhelming.

4) For those of you who run 2 RTs, would you double up on a hardpoint or go 1 and 1?

5) Between Jyn + Cassian + K2 + R2/Sabine or some kind of Luke list, what would likely be stronger?

If it matters, I can get any unit I want. I currently have both Lukes, Leia, Han, Officer, Cassian & K2, Jyn, R2 & 3P0, Chewie, Sabine, 4 Troopers, 1 or 2 Fleets (bah), Pathfinders, 2 Commandos, Wookiees, 2 Tauntauns, and 3 RTs.

Thanks!

Edited by realsoupersand
derp

Flamethrower AT-RTs are great but they will go down under sustained fire, my advice is to send a few units forward together if you are going for that tactic, fleets, wookiees, Flame AT-RTs, Tauntauns, Luke, Sabine, Mandos (to an extent) all want to get in close to the enemy so that they can do massive damage, you should be charging up multiple of these together, you will probably lose 1 or 2 units before they reach the enemy but once they have then most of these units can delete most/all of a unit in one attack per round.

if you are charging then 2 units is the bare minimum that should be charging, more is better, even with 2 then sometimes they can die before even reaching the enemy lines and then you will be 2 activations down with nothing to show for it.

If i was running 2 AT-RT's then i would have them both the same, either both charging with the flamethrower or sitting at range 3 with the rotary, if i had only 1 then it would be a rotary unless i had other short range units in the list as well like the ones above.

Quick list that i just built focused on that tactic is below, you have 5 units that can charge up and attack the enemy with R2 running behind them to either score in the now clear area or repair the AT-RTs if needed. then you have 4 units left behind that can score objectives, feel free to steal it or alter as needed.

798/800
Leia Organa (Commanding Presence)
Luke Skywalker (Operative) (Force Push, Force Reflexes, Situational Awareness)
R2-D2 (C-3PO)
Rebel Troopers
Rebel Troopers
Rebel Troopers
Fleet Troopers (Scatter Gun Trooper)
AT-RT (AT-RT Flame Thrower)
AT-RT (AT-RT Flame Thrower)
Tauntaun Riders (Tenacity)

Commands:
Coordinated Bombardment (1), Son of Skywalker (1), No Time for Sorrows (2), Full of Surprises (2), Return of the Jedi (3), Somebody Has to Save Our Skins (3), Standing Orders (4)

Deployments: Major Offensive, Advanced Positions, Danger Close, Hemmed In
Objectives: Intercept the Transmissions, Recover the Supplies, Bombing Run, Payload
Conditions: Rapid Reinforcements, Limited Visibility, Fortified Positions, Supply Drop

Thanks! I actually have a few lists similar to this already, so it's good to know that others are thinking the same thing. I second guess this a lot and I'm both intimidated by and jealous of Imperial lists that have Iden. I have the following Operative Luke lists:

JedOps (10 activations, 787/800)

Cassian Andor (A280, Hunter, Offensive Push, Recon Intel)
K-2SO (Jyn's SE-14 Blaster)
Luke Skywalker (Force Push, Force Reflexes, Jedi Mind Trick, Tenacity)
3x Rebel Troopers
2x Rebel Commando Strike Teams (DH-447 Sniper)
2x AT-RT (Flamethrower)

- - -

LlamOps (10 activations, 793/800)

3x Rebel Troopers
3x Rebel Commando Strike Teams (DH-447 Sniper)
2x Tauntaun Riders (Tenacity)

- - -

Wonder Twins (10 activations, 787/800)

Leia Organa (Strict Orders)
R2-D2 (C-3P0)
3x Rebel Troopers
2x Tauntaun Riders (Comms Jammer, Tenacity)

- - -

Wonder Llamas (10 activations, 790/800)

Rebel Officer (Electrobinoculars, Strict Orders)
2x Rebel Troopers (2-1B Medical Droid)
Rebel Troopers

- - -

Wonder Chickens (11 activations, 790/800)

Rebel Officer (Strict Orders)
R2-D2 (C-3P0)
2x Rebel Troopers (R5 Astromech Droid)
Rebel Troopers
2x Rebel Commandos (DH-447 Sniper)
3x AT-RT (Flamethrower)

Ive had a strong showing with this list:

Rebel Officer
Luke Skywalker (Operative) (Force Push, Jedi Mind Trick, Force Reflexes, Situational Awareness)
R2-D2 (Comms Relay, C-3PO)
Rebel Veterans (CM-O93 Trooper, Rebel Veteran, Seize the Initiative, Recon Intel)
Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper
Fleet Troopers (Scatter Gun Trooper, Rebel Officer Upgrade, Recon Intel)
Fleet Troopers (Scatter Gun Trooper, Rebel Officer Upgrade, Recon Intel)
Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) (DH-447 Sniper)

Round 1 you play R2's 3 pip for extra moves and cover, and I activate Luke last and double move if possible (and if it's safe) He might get sniped at a couple of times if he is visible, but the fleets can be used to make sure he is not suppressed. Round 2 I usually go with My ally is the force and Put an order on Luke, R2, and then use the Vet's Seize the initiative (ive been proxying it) in order to get a double dodge on the vets and a dodge on the MkII that they passed the order to. This allows me to have a lot of dodges this round and usually helps Luke close the distance. The snipers are used to make sure that Luke can get close without triggering painful standby tokens. Fleets are there to draw fire off Luke. If they are shot at before Luke I always count that as a win. Usually by turn 3 Luke has started terrorizing the opponent's line and the fleets and vets are still around to clean off activations. R2 MUST be focused or I usually win. This also draws fire away from Luke and the fleets.

Thanks for that! Have you run into any problems with the mediocre range of the Mark II and especially the Fleets?

5 hours ago, weebaer said:

..then use the Vet's Seize the initiative (ive been proxying it) ...

Seize the Initiative only works on Operatives and Commanders. You'd have to take the Comms guy with an HQ Uplink to get the same effect.

17 hours ago, realsoupersand said:

Thanks! I actually have a few lists similar to this already, so it's good to know that others are thinking the same thing. I second guess this a lot and I'm both intimidated by and jealous of Imperial lists that have Iden. I have the following Operative Luke lists:

JedOps (10 activations, 787/800)

K-2SO (Jyn's SE-14 Blaster)
3x Rebel Troopers
2x AT-RT (Flamethrower)

- - -

LlamOps (10 activations, 793/800)

3x Rebel Troopers
2x Tauntaun Riders (Tenacity)

- - -

Wonder Twins (10 activations, 787/800)

Leia Organa (Strict Orders)
R2-D2 (C-3P0)
3x Rebel Troopers

- - -

Wonder Llamas (10 activations, 790/800)

Rebel Officer (Electrobinoculars, Strict Orders)
2x Rebel Troopers (2-1B Medical Droid)
Rebel Troopers

- - -

Wonder Chickens (11 activations, 790/800)

Rebel Officer (Strict Orders)
R2-D2 (C-3P0)
2x Rebel Troopers (R5 Astromech Droid)
Rebel Troopers
2x Rebel Commandos (DH-447 Sniper)
3x AT-RT (Flamethrower)

Personally i dont rate the rebel snipers very highly, they have a black and a white dice only with surge to hit instead of crit, if you are shooting a target in heavy cover you are probably not going to hit them, they are the worst snipers in the game at the moment. the only thing that they have going for them is that they are a pretty cheap activation but naked rebel troopers are cheaper by 8 points and fill one of the required trooper slots as well.

6 hours ago, 5particus said:

Personally i dont rate the rebel snipers very highly, they have a black and a white dice only with surge to hit instead of crit, if you are shooting a target in heavy cover you are probably not going to hit them, they are the worst snipers in the game at the moment. the only thing that they have going for them is that they are a pretty cheap activation but naked rebel troopers are cheaper by 8 points and fill one of the required trooper slots as well.

I brought the exact same thing up shortly after they were released and was assaulted digitally by the Math Legion players telling me the odds were almost identical (there was a ~10% variance)

I pointed out that the Imperial snipers benefit from the aim token much more than the rebel equivalent due to having black dice and the reroll being better on black dice (whether 2 or 1 die) but was shut down. The newer Snipers (CW era) are even better and the advent of surge tokens make the gap between Rebel Snipers and all others even greater. I bought 2 of these packs and converted extra snipers but have never felt they were worth the cost or abilities. I now almost always only take 1 strike unit, and that's if I have 50pts to play with and have already included R2D2 in my list. I wish the Mandolorians were a better fit pointwise, they don't perform as well, but are more fun to play with. I don't fill special forces slots for Rebels very often unless I have a them going (all Mandos, All Wookiees, Pathfinder assault, etc)

7 hours ago, 5particus said:

Imperial Snipers are probably the worst, actually, by a small margin. Rebel snipers get Scout 2 instead of Scout 1, and their dice are mostly a wash, with Rebel snipers being very slightly more consistent, while Imp Snipers are slightly more swingy (these differences are super minor though). Statistically they average the same, their curves just look slightly different. Also, rebel Snipers can have their friend shoot at range 3 which is rare, but nice to have. The real problem is Arc Trooper Snipers, which blow both of them out of the water. Hopefully the RRG will bring Arc Troopers into line so that Rebel and Imperial Snipers won't feel so bad

1 hour ago, SirCormac said:

Imperial Snipers are probably the worst, actually, by a small margin. Rebel snipers get Scout 2 instead of Scout 1, and their dice are mostly a wash, with Rebel snipers being very slightly more consistent, while Imp Snipers are slightly more swingy (these differences are super minor though). Statistically they average the same, their curves just look slightly different. Also, rebel Snipers can have their friend shoot at range 3 which is rare, but nice to have. The real problem is Arc Trooper Snipers, which blow both of them out of the water. Hopefully the RRG will bring Arc Troopers into line so that Rebel and Imperial Snipers won't feel so bad

that is the wrong way of looking at it, the rebel and Imperial Sniper teams need to be brought up to the level of the CIS and Clone snipers not the other way around. I think that main issue with both the commandos and scout is that the full team is not really worth taking and the heavy weapon is not really worth the points that it is currently.

Personally i think that both the Rebel and Imperial strike teams should go up in price and the weapon brought down so that the team stays the same or maybe even slightly cheaper so that the Heavy is viable to be taken with the full squad.

15 hours ago, SirCormac said:

Seize the Initiative only works on Operatives and Commanders. You'd have to take the Comms guy with an HQ Uplink to get the same effect.

Lol that's what happens when you dont have the card and proxy stuff.

1 hour ago, 5particus said:

that is the wrong way of looking at it, the rebel and Imperial Sniper teams need to be brought up to the level of the CIS and Clone snipers not the other way around. I think that main issue with both the commandos and scout is that the full team is not really worth taking and the heavy weapon is not really worth the points that it is currently.

Personally i think that both the Rebel and Imperial strike teams should go up in price and the weapon brought down so that the team stays the same or maybe even slightly cheaper so that the Heavy is viable to be taken with the full squad.

I actually agree 100%, but don't know if FFG will do it, so I guess my hope was more muted. Having played against the Arc Snipers, I would kill to have them. For a mere 4 points more, they are crazy good. Maybe they'll just lower the points cost of the GCW snipers back down to 44? Believe you me, I'd love an overhaul on both Scouts and Commandos, but I'm guessing we'll need a 2.0 to make that happen.

10 hours ago, SirCormac said:

I actually agree 100%, but don't know if FFG will do it, so I guess my hope was more muted. Having played against the Arc Snipers, I would kill to have them. For a mere 4 points more, they are crazy good. Maybe they'll just lower the points cost of the GCW snipers back down to 44? Believe you me, I'd love an overhaul on both Scouts and Commandos, but I'm guessing we'll need a 2.0 to make that happen.

they really overcosted low profile in my opinion, it is not that good as the only time i think i have seen it come in to effect on any unit is when they have a suppression token and if either of these strike teams have a suppression token then they have probably already lost a guy.

The other issue wih sniper teams now is the competition for those SF slots, you have some good units that can be taken and apparently wookies are going to be viable again so there will be even more competition for them, the Corp slots are fairly lackluster IMO so a lot of people just take 3 naked troopers to save points for elsewhere.

I've never been a fan of snipers at all because of their pitiful damage output, so I'm happy to see that there are others put there who feel that Rebel (and Imp) snipers are underwhelming. I've included at least 2 in all my lists for activations and because people say you need to, but I really feel like I'd rather just have 1. I don't feel like replacing them with another mediocre naked trooper unit is necessarily correct, but at least troopers can be used to take objectives and act as meat shields.

I could pretty easily drop a sniper from the lists I have that don't have R2 and put R2 in there instead. I think I'll do that.

14 hours ago, 5particus said:

they really overcosted low profile in my opinion, it is not that good as the only time i think i have seen it come in to effect on any unit is when they have a suppression token and if either of these strike teams have a suppression token then they have probably already lost a guy.

The other issue wih sniper teams now is the competition for those SF slots, you have some good units that can be taken and apparently wookies are going to be viable again so there will be even more competition for them, the Corp slots are fairly lackluster IMO so a lot of people just take 3 naked troopers to save points for elsewhere.

Yeah, clearly the game devs thought Low profile was much sexier than it actually is. This probably partially explains why Han is so overcosted, and Duck and Cover was originally 8 points. High Velocity on the guns is also overcosted. It rarely comes into play, and even if it did, usually you are coordinating attacks with your other units so they'll just use the Dodges on them instead. I really hope we see a buff to the snipers, because people like Palp depend on those snipers being good to be a functional list.

8 hours ago, SirCormac said:

Yeah, clearly the game devs thought Low profile was much sexier than it actually is. This probably partially explains why Han is so overcosted, and Duck and Cover was originally 8 points. High Velocity on the guns is also overcosted. It rarely comes into play, and even if it did, usually you are coordinating attacks with your other units so they'll just use the Dodges on them instead. I really hope we see a buff to the snipers, because people like Palp depend on those snipers being good to be a functional list.

I think one of the issues with Low profile is the lack of light cover in games, most of the cover that i have ever seen in tournaments has been heavy cover, making low profile useless unless it it is changed so that it applies after sharpshooter