Aqueous bases

By Francesco Lamas, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi!

After a few research on the internet I've found inspiration to paint watery bases. Here's the result:

img_20201110_134314-57dbacc.jpg

img_20201110_134359-57dbace.jpg [/url]

img_20201110_133701-57dbad0.jpg [/url]

Quick tuto: paint your base normally. Add 4-5 layers of shade (here I used Citadel Biel-Tan Green) covering a larger area each time, and beggining with the deepest water. Varsnish your mini (I use matt varnish). Finally brush gloss varnish on the water and on a small band sticked to the water.

That is so great, I like it a lot!

Even if I'm really impressed by your abilities, in terms of play, I really like black bases, more easier to see as they can be seen as shadow of the figure on the game

19 hours ago, rugal said:

Even if I'm really impressed by your abilities, in terms of play, I really like black bases, more easier to see as they can be seen as shadow of the figure on the game

Well you could also paint the shadow on the base in addition to any other effect :)

That's way over my skills though!

17 minutes ago, Francesco Lamas said:

Well you could also paint the shadow on the base in addition to any other effect :)

That's way over my skills though!

Bases are not for me something that needs to have some sort of work, it is a shadow that helps me see where the figure is on the 3D map, so full black is perfect, otherwise, it may takes me time to to find it. And on top of that, seeing a blue water base on a green herb map is weird, too weird to me.

I like mine black too.

I'd pick your bases a hundred times over a boring black one.

Great job, buddy!

Amazing painting ❤️

1 hour ago, Dadler93 said:

I'd pick your bases a hundred times over a boring black one.

Great job, buddy!

Amazing painting ❤️

Thanks! That's encouraging :)

Though of course I respect everyone's opinion!

1 hour ago, Francesco Lamas said:

Thanks! That's encouraging :)

Though of course I respect everyone's opinion!

I didn't mentioned, but I like your work, it's awesome. Maybe I just used to the D&D style bases, tht's why I like black ;)

img_20201112_165941-57dd6aa.jpg

From left to right: deep water, shallow water, and pavement.