Critical X clarification

By Clonkonaut, in Rules

Hello there,

I am looking for a more detailed description on how the Critical X keyword works for I fear that I played it wrong in the past.

Because of how it is worded: " While a unit with the critical x keyword converts attack surges," my understanding of it so far was as follows:

A unit can make use of the keyword as long as it is able to convert surges from any other source than the keyword. Meaning that the unit either must have a "surge to hit" printed somewhere or needs at least one surge token when firing. Simultaneously, a unit cannot convert a surge to a crit if it can't convert surges in general during an attack (for lack of "surge to hit" printed or a surge token). To me, this was the natural interpretation of the word "while": the unit must be in the process of converting and while doing that, X surges can become crits.

It now dawned on me that this is not necessary the only way to read this. It can simply mean that "while the convert surges step is happening during the attack", X surges convert to crits - regardless of whether or not the unit has the ability to convert any other surges.

And now I am confused. Can someone tell which of the two ways is correct? Since I play Separatists, I always struggled to put some surge tokens on my units to make use of any Critical keyword since my units barely have any converts. Also, if my first interpretation happens to be correct, do you get the crit in addition or instead of other converts? Meaning that if a unit with one surge token and Critical 1 in its attack pool rolls two surges, do you spend the surge token to convert one surge into a hit and then convert the other into a crit or do you convert one surge with the token and are granted the ability to convert the one result into a crit instead of a regular hit?

2 hours ago, Clonkonaut said:

Hello there,

I am looking for a more detailed description on how the Critical X keyword works for I fear that I played it wrong in the past.

Because of how it is worded: " While a unit with the critical x keyword converts attack surges," my understanding of it so far was as follows:

A unit can make use of the keyword as long as it is able to convert surges from any other source than the keyword. Meaning that the unit either must have a "surge to hit" printed somewhere or needs at least one surge token when firing. Simultaneously, a unit cannot convert a surge to a crit if it can't convert surges in general during an attack (for lack of "surge to hit" printed or a surge token). To me, this was the natural interpretation of the word "while": the unit must be in the process of converting and while doing that, X surges can become crits.

It now dawned on me that this is not necessary the only way to read this. It can simply mean that "while the convert surges step is happening during the attack", X surges convert to crits - regardless of whether or not the unit has the ability to convert any other surges.

And now I am confused. Can someone tell which of the two ways is correct? Since I play Separatists, I always struggled to put some surge tokens on my units to make use of any Critical keyword since my units barely have any converts. Also, if my first interpretation happens to be correct, do you get the crit in addition or instead of other converts? Meaning that if a unit with one surge token and Critical 1 in its attack pool rolls two surges, do you spend the surge token to convert one surge into a hit and then convert the other into a crit or do you convert one surge with the token and are granted the ability to convert the one result into a crit instead of a regular hit?

it is refering to the convert surges step.

If you have Critical X then you can convert X surge results to crits, you do not need to have surge:hit as well

Thank you very much! Then I have indeed played it wrong so far. :(

Every unit converts all surges with every attack and defense roll. If the chart on the right of the card doesn't say surge: hit, crit, or block, then the appropriate surges are converted to blanks.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:03 PM, 5particus said:

it is refering to the convert surges step.

If you have Critical X then you can convert X surge results to crits, you do not need to have surge:hit as well

I have a doubt: "Critical" modifies the dices during

a) "4.c Convert Attack surges" (because it converts attack surges)

or

b) "6 Modify attack dices" (because is a card ability)

?

Basically affects the dodges and cover("5. Apply Dodge and Cover"). Reading the description of "Critical X" can't see an specific step stated.

Edited by Dalae

The RRG says " While a unit worth the Critical X keyword converts attack surges..." (emphasis mine). It clearly happens step 4.c.