Additional squadrons for campaign play

By Green Knight, in Star Wars: Armada

1 hour ago, Bravo Null said:

Seem great, but where's Vult Skerris? You never see him anywhere in the games!

Skerris has great publicity, tbh.

It was after appearing in a magazine that he really blew up.

4ndbms.gif

6 hours ago, Bravo Null said:

Seem great, but where's Vult Skerris? You never see him anywhere in the games!

Excellent suggestion!

Also Darth Vader flew a defender in a book recently. 'hint hint wink wink'
@Green Knight

I was going to do the Lambda today, but I need to think more about them.

So, instead: Phantoms.

I'm actually of the opinion that Phantoms are pretty good, and fairly costed (and they will be netter with the Intel nerf). However, they are part of a faction that has too many other good squads and synergies around counter and swarm.

Anyway, on to the squads:

13999h.jpg?cache=1605775130 14000h.jpg?cache=1606051906 14001h.jpg?cache=1605775407

Test Pilots: Gets dodge. Well worth the +1 point.

Aces: Gains scout. Pretty thematic. Also a somewhat different dice pool. 16 feels kind of cheap. Maybe 17?

Echo: Love this guy in X-wing. So slippery. Girt for the normal moves and speed 2 when cloak moving. 21 is the same as Maarek, 1 more than Whisper. Not sure.

@Bravo Null

You wanted Vult Skerris? Here he is, in Int and Defender versions :)

14024h.jpg?cache=1606052299 14025h.jpg?cache=1606052646

Vult-ceptor: Extra lethal when swarming. 17, same as Ciena.

Vult-fender: Not a bomber, but black battery. Dodge. And a counter that goes up in value if surrounded. 23, 2 more than Maarek, but he's underpriced.

Edited by Green Knight

@TallGiraffe

You asked for him, Darth Vader in a Defender. A bit over the top, but that's what you get :)

14026h.jpg?cache=1606053391

Vader: He's the Dark Lord of the Sith, so he gets adept 3. Doge/grit is in line with other defenders. His ability is adapted from the TIE Advanced + Anankin Y-wing. His bomber dice are also more Y-wingy. 27 sounds like a bargain.

Vader is the 100th squadron made! :D

Edited by Green Knight

I finally managed to make the Lambdas.

The problem for me was that the basic plat from isn't very interesting, unless you're doing massive token shuffling (and Moralo?) and maybe with Sloane. That's too niche. So I looked at X-wing for inspiration, and came up with something different, but still recognizably Lambda.

14003h.jpg?cache=1605776850 14007h.jpg?cache=1606065949 14005h.jpg?cache=1606066515 14006h.jpg?cache=1606066753 14004h.jpg?cache=1606066810 14029h.jpg?cache=1606067045

Omicron: You basic relay Lambda (no strategic). The dice pools have been changed completely and it has an anti-pursuit laser.

Kappa: The strategic version, WITH intel. So it is more flexible.

Kagi: Basically an ace Omicron. Draws enemy fire. 20, same as Jendon, but Jendon is moderately priced and has no counter and weaker dice.

Sai: Ace Kappa, with a potentially very powerful ability.

Yorr: Reduce damage & super-relay. Pricey.

Palpatine: A special Rebels-inspired treat. I like his special ability, but not sure how useful it is with that dice pool. Maybe it should be: "While a friendly squadron at distance 1" but require him to spend a defense token.

Edited by Green Knight

Today's special is Inferno Squad:

I tried to make them mutually supporting, yet I took away their swarm. Instead they have counter and scout. Pricing was tricky. They are scatter aces, and scout is kind of useful, but they are still just hull 3 and aren't rogues.

14009h.jpg?cache=1606122537 14010h.jpg?cache=1606122547 14011h.jpg?cache=1606122834 14012h.jpg?cache=1606122889

Iden Versio: Can toss a defense token to save a squadron (herself included).

Gideon Hask: Useful ability, but limited to himself. Intel.

Del Meeko: Aura dodge, but limited in scope.

Seyn Marana: Special snipey ability inspired by Ten, but taken down a few notches. Useful vs ships, and can be used during snipe too.

If anyone has a favorite squad they'd like to see, feel free to drop me a line.

Fun fact: Vader in Defender was the 100th squadron I made! And we're now up to 110!

Edited by Green Knight

You sure do love giving ships red die anti squadron.

11 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

You sure do love giving ships red die anti squadron.

Assuming these are veterans, red is pretty good. But maybe I need to take it down a notch.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Assuming these are veterans, red is pretty good. But maybe I need to take it down a notch.

You realize they only have a 3/8 chance to hit squadrons with a single Accuracy right? 😧

Today's squad: Decimator.

This concludes Imp Squads II. Leaving only the Gauntlet of the published squads.

I didn't change much, just added Grit. These are massive ships, capable of operating independently.

@TallGiraffe no red dice today!

13851h.jpg?cache=1606067522 14030h.jpg?cache=1606067788 13852h.jpg?cache=1606067862 14041h.jpg?cache=1606203339

Patrol Leader: Adds grit, +1 point.

Kenkirk: Baseline, +1 brace, and a dodge-when-damaged ability.

Oicunn: Ram him against something, and his shots can't be turned aside.

Chirry: Yes, the same guy who helps squads move freely. Black battery, ouch. And as long as he a defense token remaining, -1 damage. And that includes Mithel.

Edited by Green Knight

Let's finish what we started: the Gauntlet.

I really tried, but the generic Gauntlet is so hopeless, I pretended it didn't exist. It was already 20 pts, and when I tried to add more AND increase the price...wasn't doable.

14031h.jpg?cache=1606204841 14032h.jpg?cache=1606205517 14034h.jpg?cache=1606204059

Super Commandos: Traitors to Mandalore! Adds grit, so they can go places. +1 black AS and upgrade battery. 20 pts, same as the old one. Not sure it's viable even now, but at least it's not objectively bad.

Pre Vizsla: So he's Clone Wars era, so more of a what-if-he survived. If he can get though, his raids are lethal. 24 is a lot tho. Maybe easier just to do damage...

Maul: The guy who died (got cut in two), but didn't die, so Obi had to cut him in half later. Always disliked him in Clone Wars, but his story arc in Rebels, however, was amazing. Weird. With Adept 2 he'll almost always get a raid in, and hand out 2 tokens. Which isn't bad, but raid tokens are still weak, so maybe meh.

Special bonus: cross faction Gauntlets! Do you look forward to buying more Chimaeras? :)

14033h.jpg?cache=1606204849 14042h.jpg?cache=1606205775 14035h.jpg?cache=1606204128

Protectors: The Rebel mirror of the Super Commandos.

Bo-Katan: Good stats, but weak ability. If Rebels had a Beck-like upgrade, she'd be a lot more useful.

Fenn Rau: Has dodge 1. His ability is bad-***, IF you go heavy on the raid tokens. Which you won't so it's useful, but not that strong. And 26 is a lot for a squad with 1 brace.

Note to self: All these should have the Mandalorian keyword.

Edited by Green Knight

120 squads in all. Wow!

When I started this project on Nov 7th... 17 days ago... just over 7 squads a day on average... I had no idea it would get this massive. But it was just so fun I couldn't stop :D

I'm quite pleased with the majority of the squads. Not all of them, but overall I think they are pretty good. Maybe AMG is in need of a squadron designer? ;)

What happens now?

• I'll go through ALL the squads again, tweak points, maybe change some the red dice @TallGiraffe pointed out, and adjust some game texts.
  • I'll add some revised versions/change costing of existing squads. Not a whole lot, bc that would fundamentally alter the foundation I've built the other squads on.

And that's it, I think, for this project.

But there is more:

• I intend to make some squad cards for stuff not included in the game yet, like Fang Fighters, TIE Reapers, U-wings, that sort of stuff. For obvious reasons, these squads are less accessible. You'd have to 1) Buy them online, 2) print them yourself, 3) proxy them, 4) maybe I'll add them as a Vassal extension.
  • The Clone Wars factions I'm loath to meddle with. I need to play them before I can add content. Well, I added Ventress already, but that's just 1 squad.

Note to self: Create a checklist where players can check which squads to include or leave out for that particular campaign.

Edited by Green Knight

You inspired me :)

20201123_175704~2.jpg

@NairoD that's a **** cool looking Vult Skerris!

On 11/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, Green Knight said:

If anyone has a favorite squad they'd like to see, feel free to drop me a line.

Fun fact: Vader in Defender was the 100th squadron I made! And we're now up to 110!

Mara in a Z

Jaina X as Red or Stealth

Jag Fel probably never flew for the Empire, no suggestions there. Sooooo...Mara pls :)

Forgot to mention I enjoy reading all this, thx

Edited by NebulonB

@Green Knight try throwing in some evade tokens.

10 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

@Green Knight try throwing in some evade tokens.

Definitely!

I'd also love to give some squadrons ship abilities, like S-foils, but outside scope.

Lock S-foils in attack position :)

5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

@NairoD that's a **** cool looking Vult Skerris!

Thx.

He is not finish yet. Had to do some highlights on all fighters in the squadron and panels

2 minutes ago, NairoD said:

Thx.

He is not finish yet. Had to do some highlights on all fighters in the squadron and panels

I can't see the cockpit clearing in the pic - in Rebels he has some sort of yellow symbol marking thingy on it.

Edit: oh that was smaller than I remembered.

Rebel Assault Trivia Gallery | StarWars.com

Edited by Green Knight
4 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I can't see the cockpit clearing in the pic - in Rebels he has some sort of yellow symbol marking thingy on it.

Edit: oh that was smaller than I remembered.

Rebel Assault Trivia Gallery | StarWars.com

I'v missed that. Had to repaint hull :D

thx GK ☺

The A-wing post has been updated to give an example of what I'm trying to do:

These all look really great Green Knight. Thanks for posting!