ION Radio - Return to the Rim Act II

By Fraggle_Rock, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Act II of ION Radio's 2nd Rebellion in the Rim campaign "Return to the Rim."

Round 3 part 2

Round 4

Edited by Fraggle_Rock
updated video links

Your vids are always fun, but the squadron slog is getting to be a bit much this campaign. I know you've shot well in advance, but perhaps if you do another campaign, maybe consider a squadron limit.

20 hours ago, player678037 said:

Your vids are always fun, but the squadron slog is getting to be a bit much this campaign. I know you've shot well in advance, but perhaps if you do another campaign, maybe consider a squadron limit.

This particular campaign really does push squadrons given the rewards you can get, ally tokens and the series of Squadron commander abilities. We are filming a wrap-up video soon (We finished the campaign about two weeks ago) and will cover this as well as several other topics. We will also be releasing an updated set of "House rules" that we believe could help with the campaign balance.

It's kind of funny that when RitR arrive, everyone went "this is soooo much better balanced than CC" :D

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

It's kind of funny that when RitR arrive, everyone went "this is soooo much better balanced than CC" :D

It is and it isn't. CC was extra punishing if you lost. RitR is extra rewarding when you win.
The strategic tokens in this campaign, the ally one in particular, are unbalancing. 45 extra points in a standard 400 point game is an issue. In a less than 250 point game it has a rather extreme effect on the game. We'll have a discussion on this point alone.

It does take longer to fall behind and you can safely go through 3 rounds without feeling as if you can't win. In CC, once your fleet starts losing ships, you've lost.

Edited by Fraggle_Rock

It's tough to balance a campaign so that players feel progression, feel rewarded for winning, and have similar power levels to still compete.

I think commander xp is fine as it is since there isn't too great of a gap and you'll often see something new to a commander every other battle. The problem I see is in total fleet points. The winning player gets a ratio of 2:1 more points to spend and there are extreme differences in the amount of fleet points given out. If one fleet wins a battle for squadron points, its total goes up by 30, while another fleet it goes up against next may have lost and only gotten 4 points. That's a pretty big difference from only one battle.

I'd rather the rewards were laid out along the lines of the winner gaining supplies and munitions worth 10 points and the loser getting 6 points. These points could just be banked for the fleet and any number of available points spent during upgrade time. You could always get rid of anything for half its points into your fleet point pool. Upgrading would still be limited to the type of reward at each location though so that the map would play a role. This would simplify rules for upgrading fleets, while at the same time be less punishing and encourage more variation during a campaign to keep it from getting stale.

The second half of Round 3 is now available.

I want Ken to freaking win, damnit. So many close calls!

44 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

I want Ken to freaking win, damnit. So many close calls!

Appreciated Sybreed. The campaign is unfortunately rather punishing especially when playing with the Tabling rule. Too many instances in which I get so far behind to finally be able to get the upgrades needed. In almost every case I needed 1 or 2 more points to bring a better fleet against John. We'll be discussing this and a few other items in our wrap-up.

I know I'm looking forward to Clone Wars and the new ruleset - it should level the playing field a little bit. There are already spoiled upgrades (Assault Concussion Missiles for example) that I would have taken in this campaign - it may have changed a few things.

Armada is back with Round 4 of the Return to the Rim campaign (aka Rebellion in the Rim 2... ) in its entirety. We opted to "blitz" through this round to get to the next pivotal battle.