Alternative Force Tradition

By Rean411, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

So I had an idea and I thought maybe I’d bring it to the forum and see what you guys think. It is all very basic thoughts so far but the idea boils down to avatar the last air bender takes place on a planet in the unknown region. All of the bending in that story would be based on the force and you would have the opportunity to learn some of the “Elements” as discounts and flavouring of force powers already in the book. No new force powers here. Was thinking maybe a 5 XP cut to the telekinesis and or protect/unleash lines, telekinesis covers 3 out of 4 of the bending forms and unleash covers fire bending. Do you guys have any ideas on this? How to balance it? I’ve never played a force character yet so I’m not sure how balanced this is.

Have a look-see in Disciples of Harmony and Unlimited Power. The first one covers various force traditions and the effects of different types of mentors, the second covers new and creative ways of utilising the Force.

If you're giving them a discount, you should also give them a drawback. I think a prepare manoeuvre could be thematic, as they go through their forms to harness whatever it is they need, and then an action to unleash their elemental powers.

4 minutes ago, Jegergryte said:

Have a look-see in Disciples of Harmony and Unlimited Power. The first one covers various force traditions and the effects of different types of mentors, the second covers new and creative ways of utilising the Force.

If you're giving them a discount, you should also give them a drawback. I think a prepare manoeuvre could be thematic, as they go through their forms to harness whatever it is they need, and then an action to unleash their elemental powers.

———

yeah I was thinking of a drawback in my head just wasn’t sure how to express martial arts moves but a preparation maneuver sounds pretty good. Probably something with conflict to I’d guess but 🤔

If you just want to play Avatar with (a variant of) this game engine, there are better ways: somebody made an entire Genesys setting for the Avatar-verse, complete with its own core rulebook.

24 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

If you just want to play Avatar with (a variant of) this game engine, there are better ways: somebody made an entire Genesys setting for the Avatar-verse, complete with its own core rulebook.

———-

that is interesting and I will definitely check it out, however the story idea was more about melding the Star Wars concept of the force with the avatar world and it would have characters from Star Wars crash land on the avatar planet.

Yeah, then you can mostly go with existing powers, giving them cosmetic make-overs as necessary. A earth-bending boulder-to-the-head and a Water-Bending rain of ice-shards can both be expressions of Unleash.

Harmful powers and powers and causing damage with the Force in general being a dark side thing or at least causing much Conflict is going to make this fundamentally different from Avatar.

Telekinesis feels tonally wrong for the kind of floating things Benders do.

The real problem here is that no single power will best represent an element. I think you can easily handle bending as flavor-text on top of a suite of powers. I don't think an XP discount is needed because it's going to be difficult to justify that Burn Quality for an earth bending attack. So the challenge will be justifying an additional effects for an attack.

1 hour ago, kaosoe said:

The real problem here is that no single power will best represent an element. I think you can easily handle bending as flavor-text on top of a suite of powers. I don't think an XP discount is needed because it's going to be difficult to justify that Burn Quality for an earth bending attack. So the challenge will be justifying an additional effects for an attack.

——-

true which is why I originally went with telekinesis. Getting hit by a sil zero object up to a sil 3 object is going to be similar wether it’s a rock or a speeder. True it doesn’t cover stuff like changing water into ice though so a suite of powers might work better. If not an XP discount what other benefit might they get?

You might just do it all as cosmetic remakes of appropriate force powers, but say if you're fire bending it adds the burn quality, water maybe adds stun damage, earth maybe adds ensnare, and air maybe adds disorient. And maybe a bender talent tree that lets them increase the burn/stun whatever quality, or do some other things iwth extra pips or advantage when using powers.

I wonder. Not sure if this would be too overpowered but perhaps instead of a discount maybe the benefit could be potentially having access to the power tree earlier FR3 limited to only certain talents and with certain drawbacks? Or is that too powerful?

On 11/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, Rean411 said:

I wonder. Not sure if this would be too overpowered but perhaps instead of a discount maybe the benefit could be potentially having access to the power tree earlier FR3 limited to only certain talents and with certain drawbacks? Or is that too powerful?

Note that the powers might be balanced to need FR3 to make the good things happen. So check that first. But if the benefit was ONE power came one FR earlier? I think you'd be okay. You'd need to test it out on a power by power basis though, for sure.