Archive of Arrizon ENC1 Questions

By Straangeer, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello Guys!

I have some questions in connection with the First Encounter of Archive of Arrizon:

1Q.: LOS from Merriod to Heroes
From the Master Merriod (After an open door action, he is sharing a corner with the edge of the wall) i beleive i can trace LOS to the heroes (Grisban and Ashiran), i checked the CRFG but after all to make sure i ask your opinion about it. Is it valid to attack them in this way or not?

2Q.: Attacking Rolok without adding an extra black defense dice

In the Special Rules segment, the following is written.:

"The boulder blocks movement (blue objective token). Each time Rolok is targeted by an attack and the figure that performed the attack traces line of sight through the boulder or 1 or more spaces adjecent to the boulder, Rolok rolls 1 additional black defense die."

If i want to attack Rolok (the Master Ettin) with a hero who is adjacent the boulder and also Rolok(blue objective token) i assume i can do it, with a melee attack and a ranged attack as well, without adding an extra black defense dice to Rolok's defense pool.

In Melee: I beleive when i do a melee attack i do not have to measure line of sight to an adjacent space so this rule is not applicable to this kind of attack.

In Ranged: When i am next to the boulder and also Rolok i do not have to trace LOS through the boulder or any adjacent spaces, because i share a corner with the targeted Ettin so i beleive this rule is not applicable to this situation as well.

What do you think, are these assesments are valid?

Do you have other opinion about the situation?

IMG_20201101_141721_3.jpg

IMG_20201101_161115_2.jpg

Q1 : there is line of sight for Ranged attack, and also for melee attacks as long as you can trace line of sight and count spaces

Q2 : even if melee attacks do not need range unless for stealthy, you still need to trace a line of sight since for example with a weapon with reach, you cannot attack a hero behind 2 other heroes.

But this rule seems particulary unclear. I would say that the idea is if you attack Rolok while adjacent to the boulder you add the black die to him. That's how I understand it as they intended it be.

6 hours ago, rugal said:

Q1 : there is line of sight for Ranged attack, and also for melee attacks as long as you can trace line of sight and count spaces

Q2 : even if melee attacks do not need range unless for stealthy, you still need to trace a line of sight since for example with a weapon with reach, you cannot attack a hero behind 2 other heroes.

But this rule seems particulary unclear. I would say that the idea is if you attack Rolok while adjacent to the boulder you add the black die to him. That's how I understand it as they intended it be.

Q1: Rugal is correct, but to add clarification to your specific situation: in the image you posted, the Merriod is 2 spaces from Grisban, and 3 spaces from Ashrian . He can trace LOS on either green line drawn, but only has "reach" range on Grisban. Ashrian is too far away, even for a melee attack.

Q2: "The boulder blocks movement (blue objective token). Each time Rolok is targeted by an attack and the figure that performed the attack traces line of sight through the boulder or 1 or more spaces adjacent to the boulder , Rolok rolls 1 additional black defense die."

In the image you posted, LOS is essentially a point, traced from one of the front corners of Ashrian 's space to the same corner of that space of Rolok's ( either the green "line" or the blue one ). Either way, that LOS is through a space adjacent to the boulder.

Edited by Zaltyre

Thank you for your answers!