Ferrosphere Paint and "locks"

By 5050Saint, in X-Wing Rules Questions

55d8ff7d35b714d9c9a6ef1fd7732a60.png

I find the wording on Ferrosphere Paint a bit ambiguous. Does FP trigger on any lock acquired on the FP ship? Or is it just on the lock action?

I'm leaning towards "after an enemy ship locks you" is when an enemy performs a lock action. I would think if it was to trigger on any lock it would be worded "after an enemy ship acquires lock on you". But, wording is not always consistent in X-Wing, so I don't know.

Help, me out. I actually rather prefer that it work on every lock, but I'm leaning to where it only works on lock actions.

Edited by 5050Saint

It is not restricted to the lock action. It should be 'acquires a lock on you' but i think thye wanted to save space/wording for some reason.

If something is referring an Action, it needs to have the word 'action' directly written.

For this, it would need to have said "after an enemy ship performs a lock Action on you".

Not to mention... someone cannot “perform a lock action” on someone else.

Rather, the Lock Action permits you to acquire a lock according to a listed set of rules.

If it's the word, it's the effect. If it's the symbol, it's the action.

◊ Game effects such as “gain 1 focus token,” “boost,” or “acquire a lock” are not actions, and a ship can resolve these game effects any number of times each round. Game effects such as “perform a 󲁀 action,” “perform a 󲁃 action,” or “perform a 󲁁 action” are actions, and therefore each ship can perform each of these actions only once per round.

12 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Game effects such as “gain 1 focus token,” “boost,” or “acquire a lock” are not actions, and a ship can resolve these game effects any number of times each round.

My confusion comes with FerroPaint is that it does not say "acquires a lock".

Hypothetically, it would be like if an upgrade said, "after a ship focuses" instead of "after a ship performs a focus action". "After a ship focuses" terminology shouldn't exist. It should be "after a ship gains a focus token" or "after a ship performs a focus action". We have no room in the rules for "after a ship focuses".

That is what is happening here with "after a ship locks". It's terminology that shouldn't exist.

Edited by 5050Saint
3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

It's terminology that shouldn't exist.

Welcome to the Wild World of FFG Technical Writing! ;)

3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

My confusion comes with FerroPaint is that it does not say "acquires a lock".

Hypothetically, it would be like if an upgrade said, "after a ship focuses" instead of "after a ship performs a focus action". "After a ship focuses" terminology shouldn't exist. It should be "after a ship gains a focus token" or "after a ship performs a focus action". We have no room in the rules for "after a ship focuses".

That is what is happening here with "after a ship locks". It's terminology that shouldn't exist.

I think most of us here understand what the wording means. And is loosely supported by the wording on RR pg 14

If a ship is instructed to acquire a lock, the object it locks must be at range 0–3 unless otherwise specified

Thus we can conclude that

Locks = the act of acquiring a lock

"After an enemy ship locks you" or " After an enemy ship performs the act of acquiring a lock on you"

I personally don't have an issue with the terminology in this case.

Edited by Lyianx

i 100% agree with @Lyianx . also, "locking" is a game term. "locks" can of course refer to a plural of the noun lock, but in this case it seems to be a past tense of "locking".

Capture.png

Always wanted to equip this card (don't know why. I think it's a combo of the artwork and the mental image of a pilot getting frustrated trying to 'lock' you!), so I looked for when it would be the most effective. Obviously ordnance lists don't want stress, but not that big of a deal. But is more effective if there was a Jumpmaster revival or a Hawk-290 meta 😂 😂 by stopping the linked Target Lock actions. But realized could be pretty good against TIE/ba and SFs. Just costs too **** much.

54 minutes ago, TychoCelchu505 said:

Always wanted to equip this card (don't know why. I think it's a combo of the artwork and the mental image of a pilot getting frustrated trying to 'lock' you!), so I looked for when it would be the most effective. Obviously ordnance lists don't want stress, but not that big of a deal. But is more effective if there was a Jumpmaster revival or a Hawk-290 meta 😂 😂 by stopping the linked Target Lock actions. But realized could be pretty good against TIE/ba and SFs. Just costs too **** much.

Tell me 1 point is too cheap!!!

5?!?!? WHYYYYY