Murne's false order and Clawdite assassin's blade

By timmy9921, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

@a1bert 😁 I want to confirm that since Assassin's blade's target selection is after the target resolves, the imperial player gets to pick the target if Murne decides for whatever reason to surge for the ability.

Yes I have, but it's not 100% clear to me.

Who decides on the target? Is it Murne, the one who triggered the ability during the attack? Or the imperial player now, since false order has expired?

The reason I'm leaning imperial player is due to an earlier eJet's Fly-by ruling I saw here or bgg

Exact wording for the ability:

Surge Assassin's Blade: After this attack resolves, choose an adjacent hostile figure and roll 1 red die. That figure suffers Damage equal to the Damage results.

I think the Imperial player would choose, and the target would have to be a rebel. From the Bespin Gambit rulebook:

Some abilities allow players to perform an attack with a hostile figure. To resolve such an attack, the player resolving the ability controls the hostile figure for the duration of that attack .

and also...

All non-neutral figures are considered hostile and no figures are considered friendly while performing this attack

"After the attack resolves" falls outside of both of these timing windows, so by the time that attack happens the rebel player no longer controls the clawdite and also the other imperial figures are no longer considered "hostile figures" to the clawdite.

So even if you were to put the clawdite in such a position that the only adjacent figure was imperial, it still wouldn't perform an attack because the card text says to choose "an adjacent hostile figure".

Also check the FAQ, there should be rulings about the duration of the control.