Pinpoint Tractor Array (Nantex Ship Ability)

By Cpt ObVus, in X-Wing Rules Questions

“After you execute a maneuver, you may gain 1 tractor token to perform a [rotate] action.”

So let’s say I plan to use the Ensnare talent to tractor an enemy fighter later, so I want the tractor token. But my turret is already pointed in the correct direction after I complete my maneuver. If I gain the token (using Pinpoint Tractor Array), am I required to actually spin my turret? Or can I just choose to gain the token, and not actually rotate the turret?

You must rotate the turret to receive the tractor token.

rules reference page 2 “paying costs”

“Paying costs
A ship can pay a cost for an effect only if the effect can be resolved.
• For example, GNK “Gonk” Droid’s ability says “Action: Spend 1 󲈮 to recover 1 shield.” The ship cannot spend the charge if it has no inactive shields.
• Replacement effects can replace a cost that a ship would pay for an effect. If a cost is replaced in this way, the effect is still resolved.”

In this case the cost is receiving the tractor token and the effect is rotating the turret. You can’t pay the cost (receive tractor token) if you don’t resolve the effect (rotate turret to a new arc).

Screenshot-20201027-091657.jpg

rules reference page 18. the key here being that you have to select any other standard arc.