Art?

By SirRoke, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

I know art is subjective, but this seems to be the ugliest art style I’ve ever seen from FFG. Not a fan.

0DED358D-F8A0-42BB-9E1F-18F25BC46328.png

We are many to think this and is with price one of the reasons to not buy this game.

But I think this one is by far the ugliest from all.

But I really hate the card template too

Edited by rugal

I first said that the artworks looks a lot like CMON art.. going true my collection of green horde I was wrong, that looks even better 🙈 , although is the same direction of art:

277605C8-9EB3-43F6-BBE9-51FA031B848E.jpeg

I like it; reminds me of styles used in the 70s-80s such as the film “Wizards”. Art definitely is subjective though, and anything not in a modern, mainstream style can take getting used to. ‘Too Many Bones’ has a rather polarizing art style but seems to have found it’s audience.

42 minutes ago, Ryan Shrieves said:

reminds me of styles used in the 70s-80s such as the film “Wizards”

That was my first thought as well when I first saw it; Wizards.

That said, give the Elf a break - he lost his whole family!

(I am looking at this all now as a Descent Graphic novel you can play - more interested to hear more of the story/campaign and more mechanics at this point)

For the humanoids, it’s too bad the only female options are warriors. There’s also no male warrior option. D2 had a male and female for each archetype. As for the art, it’s hit or miss for me. I like Syrus, Chance, and Vaeryx. I generally prefer the art style of the other Terrinoth games, but yeah, personal taste.

Edited by Artaterxes
3 hours ago, Ryan Shrieves said:

I like it; reminds me of styles used in the 70s-80s such as the film “Wizards”. Art definitely is subjective though, and anything not in a modern, mainstream style can take getting used to. ‘Too Many Bones’ has a rather polarizing art style but seems to have found it’s audience.

2 hours ago, Cotgrave said:

That was my first thought as well when I first saw it; Wizards.

That said, give the Elf a break - he lost his whole family!

(I am looking at this all now as a Descent Graphic novel you can play - more interested to hear more of the story/campaign and more mechanics at this point)

It does look like Bakshi! I knew there was some influence for this art kicking around in my brain somewhere but I couldn't place it. I actually really love the character design and character art. I understand people's disappointment in the tiles, but the character art is so evocative. People who aren't as familiar with that style of fantasy art from the 70's and early 80's are probably missing the antecedents of this newer art. But I'll be damned if it doesn't bring me right back to those fantasy roots.

2 hours ago, t4leswapper said:

It does look like Bakshi! I knew there was some influence for this art kicking around in my brain somewhere but I couldn't place it. I actually really love the character design and character art. I understand people's disappointment in the tiles, but the character art is so evocative. People who aren't as familiar with that style of fantasy art from the 70's and early 80's are probably missing the antecedents of this newer art. But I'll be damned if it doesn't bring me right back to those fantasy roots.

I recall Bakshi and such 70s art styles. But here I find it really out of place and just ugly.

Edited by SirRoke
1 hour ago, SirRoke said:

I recall Bakshi and such 70s art styles. But here I find it really out of place and just ugly.

I've met people who were really turned off by Bakshi before. Some people really didn't care for Wizards or his LotR. There's no accounting for taste. Of course, it is useful to be able to evaluate things dispassionately and at least recognize skill and expertise in art even when it isn't to one's personal tastes. A lot of people have great deal of difficulty with this, however. It can help to have been exposed to art criticism before. But not everyone takes that sort of class in school.

So you often get people reacting to art that they dislike as though it is poor art- confusing personal taste with quality. It happens all over, not just when people see new boardgame art.

Edited by t4leswapper

Its a bit different style , but I think that particular character still captures the Latari archer motif in dress, fur trim and details on the leather while still adding some individualism expected of a named hero.

rwm14_deepwood-archers_group.png

The style is not my favorite, but I think the artist has captured the look of Terrinoth well with this and the other shown characters as well. I rather like the designs of Syrus and Chance.

200?cb=20190629050239 200?cb=20130626190230

Lyssa was a half-breed Katjie, and Chance is full-blooded Hyrrinx, but I like the continued use of the extended claw weapon

dle01_a1_art1.png

Edit: Syrus's oversized glove seems out of place until you realize that it is a falconer's glove used for a freaking Phoenix. Its actually a really nice touch.

ab3c804ffcbcf6dba1420677dc9c46c3.jpg

Edited by kris40k

Since I prefer other kind of Art, I kind of like it. I think the problem is the characters. We want male human warriors and dwarves.

The three strikes against this game for me:

1) 100% app driven

2) Price

3) Art

Even if I accepted the first two, the art would completely turn me off from a purchase. It is not just the character templates, the tiles and even cards I think are bad.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:44 PM, Raizox said:

Since I prefer other kind of Art, I kind of like it. I think the problem is the characters. We want male human warriors and dwarves.

Could be that people who would like to play male human warriors/dwarves are not the game’s main target audience. All remains to be seen.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:44 PM, Raizox said:

How, among all of the numerous things about this game that you can complain about, is gender your complaint??? There's been female characters in Terrinoth games since forever, also representation (when done well) can be a plus.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:08 PM, Supertoe said:

There's been female characters in Terrinoth games since forever, also representation (when done well) can be a plus.

It's awesome (especially during the pandemic) that there are female characters for my girlfriend to enjoy playing. I think the complaints are that there aren't characters THEY want to play.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:08 PM, Supertoe said:

How, among all of the numerous things about this game that you can complain about, is gender your complaint??? There's been female characters in Terrinoth games since forever, also representation (when done well) can be a plus.

I think the problem is there aren't any male options for the warrior class. Same for females and the wizard class. It's just not balanced. IMO the dwarf artificer should have been male so you have a melee female warrior and a male version with the dwarf artificer. But maybe the dragon is tanky male melee?

Edited by The MechE

Ohhh you mean balance. Yeah, that's kind of an issue. Of course, they could have solved that by including more than 6 heroes in a $175 game...

On 10/28/2020 at 9:39 PM, Skyhunterd said:

Could be that people who would like to play male human warriors/dwarves are not the game’s main target audience. All remains to be seen.

Appearantly the game's target audience is mainstream gamers who wouldn't pay more than 60$ on a game or females.

Either way, you can't price a game right into the nerd/niche/enthusiast price range, but target it towards mainstream gamers, who will never fork out the money you ask for, because they don't care that much about board games or female boardgame nerds, who I suspect aren't numerous enough alone to make this game a success.

Edited by DAMaz

The art puts me off as well. Price is steep, but if it was something I truly wanted, I would probably fork it out. This however, is not for me.

I like the art, but personally, I've heard way more negative about it than positive.

I think it also has to do with trying to market this as a Terrinoth product. Terrinoth has always been that American '80s version of Fantasy rooted in certain art for Dungeons and Dragons that was a mark of the time. It's a change from that regardless, like it or not. Again, I think it would have been much better if this game was marketed with no ties to Descent...maybe no ties to Terrinoth, whatsoever.

3 hours ago, KelRiever said:

Terrinoth has always been that American '80s version of Fantasy rooted in certain art for Dungeons and Dragons that was a mark of the time.

Erm, nope. From Descent Second Edition onward until this very game here Terrinoth had been World of Warcraft through and through. American, sure, but not '80s D&D by a long shot.

I'm excited to finally see a true cooperative version of Descent since I almost exclusively play solo and never much liked the Overlord concept. I'm also glad to see them making this app driven, similar to LOTR-JIME (which is fantastic). However, I just absolutely hate the art style. That's not to say the artist isn't skilled (it certainly does look like Wizards/Heavy Metal/The Hobbit), it's just that I personally don't like it at all. It doesn't even feel like like Descent (or Terrinoth) to me when I look at it so maybe, as others have suggested, it would be better as a completely new IP if that's really the direction they want to go.

I'm also not crazy about the whole 3D component thing but that's not necessarily a deal-breaker for me.

The could absolutely be a deal-breaker, though. If this really is the final art style heading to production then I'm probably leaning towards passing on this one. We'll see.

The art totally pulls me out of the game. I'm also not a fan of the tiles, what was wrong with the old system? Those tiles were amazing! And the '3d' terrain? Cardboard cut outs? That stuff will break down so fast. Also talking about fast, how slow is the set up going to be trying to set up all of this '3d' terrain?

Oh and the price? Lol. And we haven't even got to the gameplay yet, I don't think I can even make it that far!