Investigator defeated spoiler inside

By brolim, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hello community I have a question for you. I was playing the first scenario of the core set the gathering. one investigator was killed before the other managed to defeat the boss. I have two questions. first what happens now. the other player must choose another investigator to play with in the next scenario and she has no XP? Plus he was the leading investigator so which one decides if the house is burned on or not?

When you say "Killed", do you mean they took damage equal to their health? That doesn't actually kill an investigator - if you look at Investigator Defeat in the rules, an investigator who runs out of health or sanity is defeated, which means they're out of the current scenario, but they're not dead - they keep playing with one mental or physical trauma (mental if they ran out of sanity, physical if they ran out of health) in subsequent scenarios.

So if the remaining investigator managed to complete the scenario, the defeated investigator will get experience and be able to decide what happens to their house as normal - they'll just end up a bit beaten up in the next scenario.

The only way for an investigator to be killed or driven insane (which means permanent loss of the investigator and all their experience) is if you end up with trauma equal to your sanity/health as applicable, or if a card or scenario resolution specifically says you are killed or driven insane.

Hi Brolim. Read the Campaign Play section of the Rules Reference for precise guidance on this. In summary, for The Gathering, you can't be killed. You can be defeated, but that doesn't mean you die...think more in terms of being knocked unconscious or getting so scared you pass out. When that investigator starts the next scenario they will start with +1 physcial damage or +1 horror on their investigator (depending on how they were defeated). They still get experience and the lead investigator role will pass to an in-play investigator.

On 10/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, Dr Dee said:

Hi Brolim. Read the Campaign Play section of the Rules Reference for precise guidance on this. In summary, for The Gathering, you can't be killed. You can be defeated, but that doesn't mean you die...think more in terms of being knocked unconscious or getting so scared you pass out. When that investigator starts the next scenario they will start with +1 physcial damage or +1 horror on their investigator (depending on how they were defeated). They still get experience and the lead investigator role will pass to an in-play investigator.

You can be killed in The Gathering. Check out R3, 4th bullet.

Ah...apologies if I have misled on this. I've never got R3...and, as I never read resolution that I don't reach, I may have missed that. That said, based on the OP's post, I interpreted the question as it related to an investigator being defeated, rather than any post-scenario resolution...basically what I meant was you can't accumulate sufficient physical or mental trauma to be killed (or driven insane) in the first scenario.