Upkeep Phase + Enemy Engagement

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

New guy back with another very basic question. I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

So I just completed the Investigation Phase. Roland is in Hallway with Ghoul Priest, who Wendy just exhausted. The priest is disengaged from Roland.

There are no other active enemies, so nothing happens during Enemy Phase while Ghoul Priest is exhausted.

Now I enter Upkeep Phase. Investigators return to ready position. And so does the Ghoul Priest.

Question: Since the Ghoul Priest readies at a location with an Investigator, it automatically moves to Roland's Threat Area--correct? It won't attack until next round, but I want to confirm that it does indeed engage Roland. Can someone please confirm I'm correctly applying the rules?

You are correct - since Roland has a higher combat value than Wendy, the Ghoul priest will engage him.

Edited by ricedwlit
Correct spelling

Thanks "rice".

Wendy has actually moved on to the Parlor. I just want to be sure I'm correct that the Ghoul Priest automatically reengages during the Upkeep Phase. I think this is correct because the Ghoul Priest enemy readies in the same location as an Investigator, which in this case is Roland.

It's relevant because it means Roland will be subject to an Attack of Opportunity if he tries to move to the Parlor next round.

Glad I could help. It was unclear from your post whether or not Wendy had left. But, given the Prey instructions on the Ghoul Priest it turns out that it didn't matter. And yes, Roland will be subject to an AOO if he tries to move to the parlor. Of course, if Wendy is able to get Lita to help, perhaps he won't need to ...

It was close, but Roland and Wendy pulled off a V for this one!! Barely.

I do believe it's time to advance to The Midnight Masks.

I ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN LOVE THIS GAME.

Edited by Sir_Blacksoutalot

Rules Reference, p10, Enemy Engagement:

Any time a ready unengaged enemy is at the same location as an investigator, it engages that investigator, and is placed in that investigator’s threat area.