How does Grand Inquisitor apply range 1 bonus at attack range 3?

By muzhyou, in X-Wing Rules Questions

A question comes to mind when I observed a tts game about how Grand Inquisitor should use his ability to apply range 1 bonus at attack range 3.

There are two ways to resolve the effect considered by the players and me:

a) Grand Inquisitor rolls 1 additional attack die, and the defender rolls 1 additional defence die as usual - this is the common way in China we resolve Grand Inquisitor's ability in the past;

b) Grand Inquisitor rolls 1 additional attack die, but the defender does not roll 1 additional defence die - this is because we think the range bonus is applied to the attack rather than the individual attacker and defender.

What do you guys say?

1 minute ago, muzhyou said:

A question comes to mind when I observed a tts game about how Grand Inquisitor should use his ability to apply range 1 bonus at attack range 3.

There are two ways to resolve the effect considered by the players and me:

a) Grand Inquisitor rolls 1 additional attack die, and the defender rolls 1 additional defence die as usual - this is the common way in China we resolve Grand Inquisitor's ability in the past;

b) Grand Inquisitor rolls 1 additional attack die, but the defender does not roll 1 additional defence die - this is because we think the range bonus is applied to the attack rather than the individual attacker and defender.

What do you guys say?

A is the correct resolve.

You are not treating the attack as range 1, but simply applying its bonus to the attack.

Card_Pilot_99.png

from page 16 of the RR:
Capture.png

so literally, the ability says you may apply the range 1 bonus. that means that you apply the range 1 bonus. it does not mean that you do not apply the range 3 bonus, if the attack range is range 3.

or in other words, @Lyianx is 100% correct.

also, i'm not going to use the wiki anymore. the official squad builder is a much better source for images. thanks to @theBitterFig for that tip. :)

It's worth noting, in a discussion of Grand Inquisitor's ability, that his ability has no function in regards to ordnance attacks . Per the rules, range bonuses (either defensive or offensive) are never added for any attack that uses the small "ordnance" icon; this includes pretty much all missiles and torpedoes, along with certain other special attacks like Snap Shot.

9 hours ago, meffo said:

also, i'm not going to use the wiki anymore. the official squad builder is a much better source for images. thanks to @theBitterFig for that tip. :)

How do you do this??? Edit: On IOS

..... asking for a friend who still uses wiki.... πŸ˜‰

Edited by JBFancourt
9 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

How do you do this???

..... asking for a friend who still uses wiki.... πŸ˜‰

So I just played around with it, and got it to work as follows (hopefully this is what you're looking for):

1) Go to squad builder, and start a new squad.

2) Add the GI to your list.

3) Once it's in the list, hover over "Card" (to the right of his name) to display the card itself.

4) Right click and "Save image as..." and save it where you want it.

It should save the image as a png.

2 minutes ago, underling said:

So I just played around with it, and got it to work as follows (hopefully this is what you're looking for):

3) Once it's in the list, hover over "Card" (to the right of his name) to display the card itself.

On my phone??? 😬

10 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

On my phone??? 😬

Oops, sorry...

Didn't know this was a phone-based question.

Disregard... :)

3 hours ago, underling said:

I do the same thing on my desktop, but instead of "save image as..." I choose "copy image location," and paste that into the forum thread.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:02 PM, emeraldbeacon said:

It's worth noting, in a discussion of Grand Inquisitor's ability, that his ability has no function in regards to ordnance attacks . Per the rules, range bonuses (either defensive or offensive) are never added for any attack that uses the small "ordnance" icon; this includes pretty much all missiles and torpedoes, along with certain other special attacks like Snap Shot.

And it’s not only *never* it’s indeed (the game term) *cannot*. As written in the rules reference.