Cassian and Operative Luke

By yoink101, in Army Building

The pair seem really solid together. Especially if Cassian infiltrates and becomes an operative and Luke then becomes the commander with a courage 4 bubble. Now if only rebel troopers could survive to get 8 suppression tokens...

I think it's still only a courage 2 bubble.

3 hours ago, yoink101 said:

The pair seem really solid together. Especially if Cassian infiltrates and becomes an operative and Luke then becomes the commander with a courage 4 bubble. Now if only rebel troopers could survive to get 8 suppression tokens...

You can only promote units with the rank of corps or special forces to the rank of commander. So no operative (I know because I ran into that wall before).

3 hours ago, L_A_D said:

You can only promote units with the rank of corps or special forces to the rank of commander. So no operative (I know because I ran into that wall before).

Darn.

Edited by yoink101
5 hours ago, L_A_D said:

Just to clarify, you can normally promote any Trooper to Commander, but Covert Ops specifically states that if that unit is the only Commander and get turned into an Operative, you must promote a Corps or Special Forces unit. It's basically specifically to prevent your plan.

On 10/24/2020 at 6:21 AM, L_A_D said:

What you CAN do though is promote a rebel trooper unit to commander and send them on a suicide run into the middle of the enemy forces THEN you can promote Luke to commander

On 10/25/2020 at 1:02 PM, bllaw said:

What you CAN do though is promote a rebel trooper unit to commander and send them on a suicide run into the middle of the enemy forces THEN you can promote Luke to commander

I'd be lying if I said Ive never done this...lol but that basically makes you op Luke 40 points more just for the command rank...not worth it I found.

Edited by weebaer
10 hours ago, weebaer said:

I'd be lying if I said Ive never done this...lol but that basically makes you op Luke 40 points more just for the command rank...not worth it I found.

you also have a great distraction for the first round, allowing you to get your other units into position.

12 hours ago, 5particus said:

you also have a great distraction for the first round, allowing you to get your other units into position.

its only a distraction if they fall for it

if someone is running no commanders and only operative luke and runs their promoted trooper commander at you on turn 1 its a pretty obvious what theyre trying to accomplish

you can screw them up a whole lot more by only partially killing off the unit and leaving the promoted trooper commander alive with an attack pool that isnt threatening.

and if you have comms jammer then its just funny. you comm jamm luke and they cant give luke face up tokens with his own command cards since hes not issuing the order to himself.

Edited by Khobai
9 hours ago, Khobai said:

its only a distraction if they fall for it

if someone is running no commanders and only operative luke and runs their promoted trooper commander at you on turn 1 its a pretty obvious what theyre trying to accomplish

you can screw them up a whole lot more by only partially killing off the unit and leaving the promoted trooper commander alive with an attack pool that isnt threatening.

and if you have comms jammer then its just funny. you comm jamm luke and they cant give luke face up tokens with his own command cards since hes not issuing the order to himself.

why would Luke not be able to issue orders to himself, they are his command cards, he is the one issuing the orders not the units with the commander token, yet another example of you fundamentally not understanding the rules of the game.

When playing an operative’s command card, the player does not nominate a commander; instead they nominate the operative, and that operative issues orders.

Edited by 5particus
spelling
On 12/11/2020 at 4:57 AM, 5particus said:

why would Luke not be able to issue orders to himself, they are his command cards, he is the one issuing the orders not the units with the commander token, yet another example of you fundamentally not understanding the rules of the game.

When playing an operative’s command card, the player does not nominate a commander; instead they nominate the operative, and that operative issues orders.

yeah only if luke nominates himself and specifically plays a luke card. he cant play non-luke cards and comm jammer prevents your commander from issuing orders to luke using non-luke cards. your commander also cant trigger abilities that require them to be the one issuing the orders. comm jammer will also stop you from issuing orders to other units. it doesnt seem like a very good idea to promote a trooper to a commander and then try to suicide them. I can definitely see that backfiring in a number of situations.

Edited by Khobai
23 hours ago, Khobai said:

yeah only if luke nominates himself and specifically plays a luke card. he cant play non-luke cards and comm jammer prevents your commander from issuing orders to luke using non-luke cards. your commander also cant trigger abilities that require them to be the one issuing the orders. comm jammer will also stop you from issuing orders to other units. it doesnt seem like a very good idea to promote a trooper to a commander and then try to suicide them. I can definitely see that backfiring in a number of situations.

sure, relying on the commander token to come back to luke in this way can backfire on you in a number of ways but your original comment was

On 12/11/2020 at 12:41 AM, Khobai said:

you comm jamm luke and they cant give luke face up tokens with his own command cards since hes not issuing the order to himself.

it is the exact situation that you reffered to originally and the one that i was commenting on, nobody mention non luke command cards except you when trying to defend yourself from the wrong thing, Maybe you should re-read your comments before you click the reply button as you obviously dont even know what your writing