Vassal Family Project 4: New Lion Clan Families

By TheHobgoblyn, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Please comment and critique . I would like to make these as favorable to the playerbase as possible. If you feel any of these should have gotten different bonuses or if my description is too lacking, I am happy to change the details. Feedback on this will also obviously be taken into account when I work on the future clans. Also, if you have created a vassal family for the crab of your own that you would like to add to this project, I would be happy to add it to the list.

The purpose of this project is to add additional lore-friendly families to every Great Clan. These are all vassal families that serve the main families of the Great Clans. The family these families serve is includes as often within Rokugan, they are referred to by their lord's family name followed by their own name, for example "Endo Ujimasa" would be called "Hiruma no Endo Ujimasa", sometimes even just calling him "Hiruma Ujimasa". However, if you want to play in a Rokugan that has a bit more diversity then you may drop the first part and simply refer to such a character as "Endo Ujimasa" under all circumstances.

The distinction here between "branch family" and "servant family" is not an official designation, but indicates whether the family came from outside the family they serve (usually entirely outside the clan, and often from ronin or peasant backgrounds) and were adopted by the family as permanent servants, which I have referred to as "Servant Family" or where a family designated some of its own members to focus on specializing in a certain task, which I have called "Branch Family". While these have never been used as terms within Rokugan canon, there is every indication that those from Branch Families get treated better than those from Servant Families.

Mechanically all of these families are a bit worse than the 4 to 5 you will find in the main RPG book. This is because these families are canonically of lower status within the clan. In fact, these characters should start off with 5 less status than regular member of their clan in addition to the lower glory and usually lower wealth found here. If GMs find that these few points of honor, glory and wealth are too great of a detriment for players to consider even playing these families, then they are encouraged to bump the glory here by 5 points, the wealth by an extra koku and not implementing the status loss for being from a branch family. The ultimate goal here is to increase the options for both PCs and NPCs-- obviously a balance between realism and enjoyment should be struck.

The Damasu Family
Akodo Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Courtesy, +1 Performance
Glory: 32 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Damasu are a branch of the Akodo who are focused more on trickery and manipulation than the direct warfare the rest of the family is more renowned for. Though originally it was to be able to understand and emulate the underhanded warfare of its neighbors, over the generations they became more known for their acting abilities. The family recently came under attack by the Tsume family who slaughtered their leaders in their own home. If there are any Damasu who still remain, they no doubt spend their waking time plotting bloody vengeance against all of the Crane Clan.

The Goseki Family
Matsu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Earth or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Fitness, +1 Meditation
Glory: 32 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Goseki were one that resided within Toshi Ranbo and was specialized in being yojimbo. They were a relatively small family. During the recent war, it is believed they were nearly entirely wiped out by the Tsume family. Word is that their ancestral daisho somehow ended up in the hands of the Shinjo. Any remaining members of the Goseki family are no doubt plotting their revenge against the Crane Clan.

The Hayameru Family
Matsu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Fire or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Fitness, +1 Sentiment
Glory: 33 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Hayameru are one that dates back to the earliest days of the Lion Clan. However, their true notoriety came in a conflict between the Lion and the Scorpion. The Scorpion held the daimyo’s wife and children as hostage to blackmail him into surrendering his castle. His own men turned on him for this betrayal, before asking permission from the Matsu family daimyo for permission to seppuku. Instead, they were told that if they wished to die, they should do so in battle. They fought without fear and destroyed the Scorpion that day. The famous Matsu Deathseeker tradition was thus born. Those of the Hayameru family are naturally not descendants of these members, but rather are those whose transgressions against the clan have brought shame and so take on this name and seek to die in battle to prove the true loyalty of their spirit.

The Hosokawa Family
Ikoma Branch Family
Skill Increases: +1 Composition, +1 Survival
Glory: 37 Starting Wealth: 5 Koku
The Hosokawa are a group of Lion Clan riders who travel the empire, serving as couriers, messengers and heralds for the Lion Clan, much as the Miya do for the Imperials. In addition, their duty is to record historical events that occur far from the Lion lands and bring back the records to the Ikoma. For these reasons, the Hosokawa can be found far from Lion Clan lands in just about any corner of the empire.

The Ichime Family
Akodo Branch Family
Skill Increases: +1 Courtesy, +1 Sentiment
The Ichime are a group of the Akodo primarily known for being fairly charming and graceful for the Lion Clan. Rather than being at home on the battlefield like most of their family, they fit in fairly well at courts. There does seem to be some sort of darkness swirling around the family’s fates however as many seem to be ignoble ends.

The Ikeda Family
Matsu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Earth or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Command, +1 Survival
Glory: 36 Starting Wealth: 5 Koku
The Ikeda are a group of Lion cavalry who studied the ways of the Moto upon the return of the Kirin to Rokugan and emulate their techniques quite well. The Ikeda have proven their worth in countering other cavalry. As part of the gempukku, members of this family must visit the Unicorn lands in order to see those from whom they learned their ways. The relationship between the Ikeda and Moto is mixed at best, as some Moto are offended at the mimicry while others see the Ikeda as some of the few Rokugani who at least attempt to understand them.

The Ise Family
Kitsu Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Earth or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Meditation, +1 Theology
Glory: 37 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
For almost as long as the Kitsu family has exited, the Ise family have served as their dedicated guardians. They fight the spirit that tend to follow the Kitsu family members back from other realms. Most of the Ise can be found around the Kitsu Tombs, however it is not unusual to find them wherever Kitsu family members can be found in the empire.

The Itagawa Family
Akodo Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Earth
Skill Increases: +1 Design, +1 Smithing
The Itagawa are a smithing family in service to the Lion Clan. They are particularly known for their beautifully crafted mempos that are believed to strike fear in the hearts of opponents. If one finds a smith in the Lion lands, there is a chance it is an Itagawa.

The Kaeru Family
Ikoma Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Water
Skill Increases: +1 Commerce, +1 Labor
Glory: 37 Starting Wealth: 6 Koku
The Kaeru are a group of merchants who grew so wealthy and influential that they effectively ruled over Kaeru Toshi, a city on the border of the Lion and Unicorn lands. Although the family has a considerable history and came to be recognized by those both within the city and beyond its gates, they never received proper imperial recognition. When the Lion seized control of the city, they swayed the Kaeru into swearing allegiance to them. In doing so they formalized the legitimacy they so long only informally held. Although the Kaeru are still primarily found in Kaeru Toshi, they now serve the Lion wherever the clan may need merchants.

** Please note, the Kaeru Family became part of the Lion Clan in the previous timeline, but while most closely associated with the Lion, hasn’t become a Lion Clan family yet. They are included here to give the Lion-aligned merchant family.

The Katai Family
Akodo Servant Family
Ring Increases: +1 Earth or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Labor, +1 Survival
Glory: 33 Starting Wealth: 3 Koku
The Katai are a group descended from ronin who found their way into service under the Lion by supervising the harvesting and production of lumber, particularly near Kokoro Nuzuban Mori. They date back originally to the Gozoku period, but are not a particularly well known. They can be found around the edges of the forests within Lion Clan lands.

The Koritome Family
Matsu Branch Family
Skill Increases: +1 Fitness, +1 Skulduggery
Glory: 39 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
The Koritome are one of the most well-known of the vassal families of the Lion, with holdings rivaling those of many minor clans. They date back to just after the battle of White Stag and were formed from the greatest archers in the entire Lion clan. Their duty is to specialize in archery. The newly formed Wasp Clan was born from a member of this same family. If one meets a Lion Clan archer, there is a good chance that it is a member of the Koritome family.

The Murame Family
Ikoma Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Fire or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Culture, +1 Tactics
Glory: 38 Starting Wealth: 5 Koku
The Murame were formed from members of the Ikoma family who studied under the Akodo war college. As the Ikoma are primarily known for being bards, this new dedicated warrior branch became its own family named after its leader Ikoma Murame. They are cunning students of tactics and prefer to do battle with yari and naginata and are known for utilizing terrain to their advantage. You can find members of the Murame family in many Lion Clan armies.

The Noroko Family
Kitsu Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Void or +1 Water
Skill Increases: +1 Medicine, +1 Theology
Glory: 36 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
Years ago, at a time of tension between the Lion and the Crab, there was an Imperial decree that ordered the Lion to provide support to the Crab Clan in the form of shugenja healers. A number of Kitsu prepared to make the journey, but the then champion ordered them not to depart. Caught between the orders of the Emperor and that of the Clan Champion, some of the Kitsu chose seppuku. And while still others bowed to their Champion's wishes, a number of them chose to leave their clan in order to follow the Imperial decree. They formed as a vassal family under the Kuni for many years, learning the techniques of the Kuni. Generations later, when relations between the Lion and Crab improved, the new Champion sought reconciliation with the lost kin. They were welcomed back to their Clan, now having gained much in the way of experience and knowledge from having served under the Kuni. They are now the experts at rooting out the influence of Jigoku within the Lion lands. If you are ever seeking out agents of evil within the Lion clans, you may come across one.

The Seizuka Family
Akodo Branch Family
Ring Increases: +1 Air or +1 Earth
Skill Increases: +1 Aesthetics, +1 Composition
Glory: 36 Starting Wealth: 4 Koku
After repeatedly using maps of the empire supplied by the Miya to gain advantage in their conflicts with neighboring clans, the Lion soon found that maps obtained from the imperials to be increasingly inaccurate. In response, the Akodo assigned the task of being the Lion Clan’s personal cartographers to Akodo Seizuka and those who serve him. The Seizuka clan can be found across the Lion Clan lands and its neighboring territories. They often carry out their duties in secret as it is not a particular secret to the other clans that these maps will be used by the Lion to attack them in future conflicts. However, the Seizuka can generally rely on civility and politeness to avoid being struck down on sight.

Edited by TheHobgoblyn

Not only was this one the longest, it was the one that required the most for me to just make something up to try to give it lore to fit without altering the meaning and purpose behind it. I guess whomever wrote the lion stories just liked to use vassal families more than other writers.

I didn't include the Shimizu for what may seem an obvious reason. Maybe if I do a Shadowlands/"Spider Clan" family part...

I like what you did with the Damasu and Goseki families.

Is the Kaeru family in the hands of the Lion? Aren't they still a ronin family in the current timeline? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Kiso said:

I like what you did with the Damasu and Goseki families.

Is the Kaeru family in the hands of the Lion? Aren't they still a ronin family in the current timeline? 🤔

Yeah-- they might be. Have they even been mentioned in anything?

If they are even confirmed to exist, they probably have been confirmed to be... (As much as I hate the whole concept of "Ronin Family") It is easy enough to knock them off the list.

But if they haven't.... hey, the Lion don't have a merchant family and should probably have one. Don't see why not to let that story prize roll over through the reboot.

Remember-- I am functionally reworking the stories of tons of these so that they exist earlier or later than they really should or just turned into their most recognizable forms earlier. The Lion taking over a city and telling its ruling family "you work for us now" feels like a Lion-enough event that it could be shifted to just about any time during the timeline.

As opposed to the Noroko where I couldn't really make the whole "The Kitsu daimyo because a corrupt Shadowlands figure and was letting Shadowlands monsters roam the Lion lands under Kitsu protection" and just had to create an entirely original origin.

The City of the Rich Frog (Toshi Kaeru) is currently divided between the Lion, Unicorn, and Dragon with the Dragonfly being the representatives of the Dragon (they seem to be straddling the line between minor clan and vassal family, or at least blurring the line between the two). I think the Kaeru "family" is effectively playing the three factions off each other, though it does seem like they are on best terms with the Lion.

22 minutes ago, neilcell said:

The City of the Rich Frog (Toshi Kaeru) is currently divided between the Lion, Unicorn, and Dragon with the Dragonfly being the representatives of the Dragon (they seem to be straddling the line between minor clan and vassal family, or at least blurring the line between the two). I think the Kaeru "family" is effectively playing the three factions off each other, though it does seem like they are on best terms with the Lion.

The Dragonfly and the Tortoise are the two minor clans that, if they hadn't been invented at the time that AEG had set out to do a "Minor Clans" book and so asked everyone on their staff to come up with ideas, and the whole concept of "Vassal Families" had been introduced and fleshed out at the time.... they just wouldn't exist.

The Dragonfly are just an extension of the Dragon and could have been a vassal family, the Tortoise are just an extension of the Imperials and similarly could have just been a vassal family like the Tsi or Yotsu. I suppose a few other of those minor clans had claims to independence that was super tenuous. Like the Centipede didn't really seem like they necessarily needed to be distinct from the Phoenix-- but I suppose their entire purpose was just to give the Mantis Clan-led "Minor Clan Alliance" a shugenja family.

Anyway, Unicorn already have their trading family with the Ide and a lack of one kind of seems like the Dragon Clan's primary intended weakness, so it does feel like the Kaeru ought to wind up with the Lion. But, if I am not going to get any more feedback on my work here-- I suppose it is worth moving on to the Phoenix.

6 hours ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

Yeah-- they might be. Have they even been mentioned in anything?

EE pp. 87:

Weary of [the clans] their infighting, the Emperor declared the City of the Rich Frog an Imperial holding and dispatched an Imperial governor to run it. [...] several generations of ronin have been able to serve the governor and their magistrates. The have claim the family name Kaeru for themselves over the years [...]

And that is the only mention I known. Maybe the novel Poison River: A Daidoji Shin Mystery will also mention them, as it is placed in the City of the Rich Frog. The novel is of course not canon-canon if you like. For now couldn't find any Kaeru ronin in the excerpt in the novel.

1 hour ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

The Dragonfly are just an extension of the Dragon and could have been a vassal family, the Tortoise are just an extension of the Imperials and similarly could have just been a vassal family like the Tsi or Yotsu.

To be fair, in the AEG canon, the Dragonfly were much more independent of the Dragon. FFG seems to have made them more subordinate the the Dragon. As for the Kasuga family, while they may nominally work for the Imperials, they have a LOT more latitude than one would expect for a vassal family of the Imperials. Add to that, their founder was a Dragon Shugenja and many of the early members were Gaijin, so that only creates more reason why they should be kept at a distance from the throne.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, neilcell said:

Add to that, their founder was a Dragon Shugenja and many of the early members were Gaijin, so that only creates more reason why they should be kept at a distance from the throne.

That and the fact their entire reason to exist is (unofficially) to violate imperial decree. That's something you'd want to keep at one legal remove.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:07 PM, TheHobgoblyn said:

The Kaeru Family

As noted, still a group of ronin at this point.

On 10/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, TheHobgoblyn said:

As opposed to the Noroko where I couldn't really make the whole "The Kitsu daimyo because a corrupt Shadowlands figure and was letting Shadowlands monsters roam the Lion lands under Kitsu protection" and just had to create an entirely original origin.

To be fair, it worked better in the old timeline - the Noroko came into being in 1133, after the whole clan war and after clans started making use of shadowlands tainted allies and beasts.

We know that the Lion offered soldiers to the Crab pre-1123 - Yasuki Taka and Kakita Yoshi discuss it in A Difference of Lanterns - so perhaps the Noroko could be the ones sent - and then sent back again:

Yoshi tilted his head sympathetically, his fan tapping his chin. ”Forgive my memory, Yasuki-dono, but has the Lion Clan not already offered the Crab their help and been refused?" Taka eased out a tense breath. "This is so, Chancellor, but the terms the Lion gave were impossible for the Crab. They required full control over where their troops would be placedall respect to the Lion generals, but combat along the Kaiu Wall and against the horrors of the Shadowlands is something with which they have no experience-” The tessen waved as if brushing away the protests. "And you imply they could not be bothered to learn? Alas, such pickiness makes me wonder if the Crab's need truly is as great as you say."

On 10/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, TheHobgoblyn said:

I guess whomever wrote the lion stories just liked to use vassal families more than other writers.

It's also a good way to inflate the size of the Lion, who are often shown as having a numerical edge of soldiers, without making the Clan families stupidly huge relative to other clans.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:07 PM, TheHobgoblyn said:

The Goseki were one that resided within Toshi Ranbo and was specialized in being yojimbo for Lion shugenja.

A yojimbo family makes sense, but I was wondering why Shujenga particularly?

I don't see any reference to that in the background, and the Matsu (whose vassals they are) have no particular shujenga tradition that would require a specialist yojimbo school like the Isawa/Shiba pairing. Certainly neither Goseki Itto nor Goseki Hanako (the two former Goseki we've seen in the background) have any particular spiritual pretensions suggesting they're used to dealing with shujenga. I'd just stick with a yojimbo family - that's fair enough, and it'd explain why they seem to have pull with the Ikoma, since they'd be the family most likely to want their services.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It's also a good way to inflate the size of the Lion, who are often shown as having a numerical edge of soldiers, without making the Clan families stupidly huge relative to other clans.

A yojimbo family makes sense, but I was wondering why Shujenga particularly?

I don't see any reference to that in the background, and the Matsu (whose vassals they are) have no particular shujenga tradition that would require a specialist yojimbo school like the Isawa/Shiba pairing. Certainly neither Goseki Itto nor Goseki Hanako (the two former Goseki we've seen in the background) have any particular spiritual pretensions suggesting they're used to dealing with shujenga. I'd just stick with a yojimbo family - that's fair enough, and it'd explain why they seem to have pull with the Ikoma, since they'd be the family most likely to want their services.

Lion Shujenga would naturally imply the Kitsu family and their subordinates. They would be a good pairing in addition to the Ikoma.

2 hours ago, neilcell said:

Lion Shujenga would naturally imply the Kitsu family and their subordinates. They would be a good pairing in addition to the Ikoma.

Right...but that's pretty much what the Ise are described as, and unlike the Goseki they are a Kitsu, not Matsu, vassal family.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Right...but that's pretty much what the Ise are described as, and unlike the Goseki they are a Kitsu, not Matsu, vassal family.

not quite, the Ise are described as defending the Kitsu shugenja against the spirits that follow them, so specialised against the supernatural, while the Goseki are described as generic yojimbo

That said, I tend to agree that a family of yojimbo is a bad fit as Matsu vassals, that doesn't quite fit the Matsu mindset

I have revised the above entries. I tried to spread out the ring allocation and skills to avoid any two having the same stats. I also tried to vary things out so that there are a few options available regardless of which ring you are looking for and vary the skills a bit.

I gave them a glory rank between 32 (if they are peasants/ronin who do rather unsavory, honorless things and/or are notably super obscure) to 39 (if their long history, fame and deeds ought to warrant them being basically a regular family) as well as their wealth with a range between 3 for the poorer, more rural families and 6 for the more commerce, trade, traveling and artistry ones with the family they serve's starting wealth being treated as somewhat of a ceiling. (Although there may be exceptions if the lore seems to extraordinarily warrant it.)

I have also adjusted the top blurb to reflect the fact that the way vassal families work has changed. I also added a note to the Kaeru.