Questionable future of the game?

By tazman222, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

If anything, de-Star-Wars-ifying FFG can only be good for Terrinoth games.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, Tubb said:

And so the second and third boxes will be standalone games or will they need first box material to play them? Seems strange to buy a 175€ expansion... XD

But on the other hand, if you don't use first box minis and tiles in 2nd and 3rd "chapters" people will allegedly complain... they will have a lot of minis and tiles that will become useless and it will be a pity not to use them anymore...

But if you need first box minis and tiles to use the content of the 2nd or 3rd box, people will complain that you want to milk players forcing them to buy 1st part to play 2nd and 1st and 2nd to be able to play 3rd part...

Bad move FFG, that idea of "chapters" will make people complain no matter what you do...

Based on what I've seen from most people on these forums, they are going to complain about anything, regardless.. It's what they do.

22 hours ago, Cotgrave said:

I am not on the inside of the game business, but the paring off of various lines from FFG have had me wondering for a bit. Ending FFG sleeves bothered me as I loved them, today they announced that Asmodee is paring off all the Star Wars Miniatures games (Legion, X-Wing, Armada) from FFG to Atomic Mass. This can't be good Or could it be? (i.e. focus on Board and Card) Anyways, thought this might have a place in a 'future of the game' thread.

Splitting FFG into two companies (board and card games / miniature games) was already discussed earlier this year with the interview with Asmodee USA's head when he was discussing the planned reduction in game lines in response to the state of the board games industry. Runewars MG was already cancelled at that point, leaving only those SW mini games to left to move. He also announced that SW:IA was a great seller year over year and they had plans to continue reprints, so I would expect it to come back into the fold with the other Descent-likes in the board game category since it was not announced to be moving.

This is not a sky is falling moment, this was planned out over a year ago.

16 hours ago, Schmiegel said:

Based on what I've seen from most people on these forums, they are going to complain about anything, regardless.. It's what they do.

Yes, and after years saying FFG shouldn't be making miniature games because they tend to do 2d boardgames with minis instead of proper minis games, someone FINALLY has understood. Don't underestimate the complainers, most times we have legitimate complaints and sometimes time proves us right.

5 hours ago, kris40k said:

Splitting FFG into two companies (board and card games / miniature games) was already discussed earlier this year with the interview with Asmodee USA's head when he was discussing the planned reduction in game lines in response to the state of the board games industry. Runewars MG was already cancelled at that point, leaving only those SW mini games to left to move. He also announced that SW:IA was a great seller year over year and they had plans to continue reprints, so I would expect it to come back into the fold with the other Descent-likes in the board game category since it was not announced to be moving.

This is not a sky is falling moment, this was planned out over a year ago.

I'm interest to what he said about the state of the boardgame industry, which is booming, record sales... Stock `and keeping things in print seem to be the largest concerns right now, though I could see splitting the company up to focus on different aspects especially with this boom. Obviously however this boom has as much to do with the market competition which is likely a bad thing for someone like FFG, suddenly they are having competition from dozens upon dozens of crowd funded titles, some of which are amazing others more dubious but it must be difficult to take a risk with production...

I'm going to start a thread with another thought on this line of thinking...

15 hours ago, crimsonsun said:

I'm interest to what he said about the state of the boardgame industry, which is booming, record sales... Stock `and keeping things in print seem to be the largest concerns right now, though I could see splitting the company up to focus on different aspects especially with this boom. Obviously however this boom has as much to do with the market competition which is likely a bad thing for someone like FFG, suddenly they are having competition from dozens upon dozens of crowd funded titles, some of which are amazing others more dubious but it must be difficult to take a risk with production...

I'm going to start a thread with another thought on this line of thinking...

here ya go

Edit for those that haven't seen this: Timestamp about the FFG split is right around 11 minutes in. Prior to that, he discusses the state of the board game industry, so worthwhile watching up to that point.

Edited by kris40k
On 11/17/2020 at 6:28 AM, Schmiegel said:

Agree. Some people go so far as to complain about others complaining about others complaining etc... ;) .

Definitely true, that. No argument here. Well played. ☺️