The Descent of Mennara - fan project updates thread

By Watercolour Dragon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

More hints of things to follow in 2021 (but don't get too excited in case of bitter disappointment- hype and expectation is a dangerous thing :) )

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/30b327e2-5265-4e7b-502f-49c25ab7b7d5

Fan projects

Descent Journeys In The Dark Second Edition - BattleLore Second Edition - Genesys RPG

and maybe other Terrinoth games

Yay- LOTR Journeys Shadowed Paths is just back in stock at my flgs of choice (ordered- fastest order ever- back in stock email- boom) - I'm proxying the smithereens out of it for the first part of fan project part 1 'The Descent of Mennara' as it has plenty minis-wise that fits my ideas (I think FFG are employing some must-buy mind-readers) including two dwarves- one with a raven companion (ravens are quite important in my adventure) and a quite good stand in for Shadar and as FFG never put her in 2e even though she got the consolation prize of the Lost Legends box art, making her therefore an actual 'lost legend' I feel she should get to play a starring role in the beginnings of the tale and not be relegated to a box cover and a hidden corner of an app :)

Others who don't have it will be able to proxy other Terrinoth minis or whatever they have. But I can highly recommend SP if only for the stunning minis (personally I also enjoy the game).

A few other ideas but spoilers maybe Brother---------tapes keyboard----------------

The spiders I'm saving for much later maybe not even this campaign- more friends for Ariad :)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
bro

Fan project Next Up---down---date planned for 3 1.1 0 .2 0 2 0 & Nov Ember

The three tease is not third edition implying- it's a trilogy of sorts (although this project could well end up feeding into a sort of fans third-stroke-two-point-five edition indirectly)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
typo/update

There are rumors of events we do not even have words for- claims an elf has had their life extinguished, word of a dragon having been put to the same fate- some are saying the two are linked. I warned everyone the last leaf falling would mean those bad omens were worth heeding. Citizens are sleeping but not waking up, life is not meant to end like this, there are worrying discussions taking place about planning some ritualistic carnival to celebrate these lives and appease the 'verses to ask for the healing and preservation of life that seems suddenly absent from our realms. I worry greatly for the future of Mennara.

Olde Worldy Map for the first part of the adventure now complete (produced using Inkarnate Pro, started 8am, just finished 10.30pm :) )

'Vanilla' bit of map is based on map locations from Genesys RPG 'Realms of Terrinoth' sourcebook, additions are inspired by and linked to Descent: Journeys In The Dark (first edition) - core game quests & 'The Altar of Despair' expansion quests; Descent: Journeys In The Dark (second edition) - 'The Shadow Rune' and 'Heirs of Blood' core game quests & 'Manor of Ravens' expansion quests with some further additions for the early quests of my 'Wandering orbits of light and shadow I : The Descent of Mennara' first darkness (and prior) campaign.

This takes place before the 'vanilla' adventures of the games but has some overlap with the locations which weave the various threads of Mennara's history together, some telling different stories at different times in these tales of legend, so expect a few revelations and discoveries on your journeys into the dark as the realms map out and sometimes re-map their future...

I was quite happy with how things lined up- locations linked to the vanilla ROT map and quest maps work out as roughly in the correct places, albeit not 100%- it's close enough, which isn't always so easy for Descent quests. Rivers are a bit mismatched though so I worked out where to logically add secondary rivers so it all fits as best as it could overall. The Carthmounts placed waterfall (HoB map) was therefore a bit of happy chance- it had to go where it is but it's quite fitting for the river being named after Latariana's tears.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/4990b417-77a6-45dd-7ddd-3c30957515f7

More pre-veals to follow :)