looking for feedback on a campaign setup

By TequilaSaisYes, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

This is for a game starting on 21 BBY, I'm mostly looking to see if this is a compelling setup for a game. I like the separatist chaos and Jedi feel more like antagonists than players characters I'd want to deal with. That is not to say that being space wizards isn't cool, so I'm exploring a different mindset into that system and it makes a good plot device. Players would start w/ a force rating of 1, not cumulative w/ a force career and no force careers at the start of the game, otherwise by the book rules.

Life has not been easy for you, Sullust is not known for an easy life. A planet of billions even though it is a barren, obsidian world of lava streams and turquoise lakes. The planet's atmosphere was highly toxic, native Sullustans lived in technologically advanced subterranean cities that were highly regarded for their beauty. But that is not the life you had, you were an orphan, in the levels near the surface. Sometimes there would be seal breaks and you could smell it in the air. When the lucky would commute to work by lifts and shuttles that carried them to the factories on the planet's surface you learned what abandoned shafts were safe enough to travel. That was the life of an orphan, even with the support of the Blessed Lady Ohntiubl orphanage you still had to rely on your wits and friends to survive.

The orphanage is a strange melting pot, there are kids that have ended up here from every species and world. Kids just end up here, when profits are more valued than people orphans happen, and in the corporate sector orphans happen a lot. The orphanage is run by a number of masters that are, well, everything they can be, father, teacher, administrator. One of those was Master Vhimanb , who cared more than the rest and tried to show you more of what the world could hold.

And one day in (26 BBY) this even brought you to Rugosa off-planet, in another system even. You along with some of the other kids from the orphanage won a trip sponsored by Zompal corporation . A Smaller outfit that operated on a few planets you were told, but who cares, a different planet. Air you could breathe, a sky, a surface covered in massive corals in many colors and shapes. Everything is new, colorful, fragrant, and enormous.

Although Rugosa is far more hospitable than Sullust it was not without dangers. While you were playing in the hollow of one of the corals someone must have stepped on something. Something bad, you recall green gas, shooting, and have some flashes of Master Vhimanb looking concerned over you and holding your hand.

When you come to you are in the medical bay of a station. A Zompal research outpost. They rushed all of you there, it was the closest place with medical facilities. The green gas wasn’t gas, it was spores, tiny coral seedlings looking to hatch, and they had aggressively conquered the rich nutrient-rich bodies that they found a home in. They showed you the images, well, diagrams, of how much has been eaten away.

It was months before you were able to move your limbs, you could feel the scars on the back of your head where they had rebuild your nervous and tissue damage. It was partially cybernetics and bacta that had saved your lives. Later you were able to walk, and it was a year before you left the station.

The station was not set up to be a trauma center, let alone one for kids. They did the best with what they had and that meant that each of the surviving kids was repaired with what was on hand and small enough to do the trick. You are repeatedly warned that this might be a problem later on, one of a kind cybernetics sounds amazing, but it is not what you want to tell a doctor on some random planet. If you are unlucky they will **** it up, if you are less lucky they will see it as a way to make a few extra bucks on the black market.

The station chief, you never really saw him, was against the idea. Even if some kids survived the security risk was unacceptable to him. But apparently he was overruled and spend a year sulking as deadlines were missed as his jewel of research became a daycare. But Lady Phull Inni had overruled him. Apparently she was the daughter of an executive and the sponsor of the field trip. She personally had made visits to you to make sure you were take care of. After that there was Master Vhimanb whos recovery and reconstructive surgery you saw first hand. He had dragged you out and stayed with you. He recovered faster, well he was mobile faster, and stayed with you. He needs a cane to move about and never recovered fully.

The cybernetics did have some extra side effects, you could sense the other kids, a near field communication effect, and it even gave you some slight enhanced abilities. It wasn’t until these started to appear that the researches shifted from worried to curious. Asking how the “interface” was and other questions that didn’t make much sense.

After the recovery Zompal corporation provided training and a career, there were strings pulled, and the group of survivors got to stay together. Doing odd jobs and shipping runs. There were frequent checkups, and the abilities had strengthened a bit over the years. It seemed that the research in the subject had died down a bit with the war going on and most of the medical crew you had come to know had been reassigned to other tasks.

While you were in your personal recovery the world outside had deteriorated and you now found yourself in what was called the clone wars. The central government had sent forces towards your systems and battles were fought. The forces were led by their unstoppable super soldiers, Jedi Knights. The Republic was slow to fight, until a surprise army appeared to crush the demands for greater representation in the senate. Rather they had given the gungan deadbeats more power.

On the bright side you are not directly involved in the war, although it affects all parts of life. One checkup you brought Master Vhimanb along for his checkup. As you are to leave a priority request to help at a dig site on Clak'dor VII . A ruined planet destroyed by conflict, not inter galactic but all of their own making in times long past. You got the order from Lady Phull Inni personally an archaeological dig had suffered a disaster and some of the team were lost in a cave in. The medical technician NAME that had just done the checkup are send with you can you’ll drop off Master Vhimanb on Sullust after you are done.

updated version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-4Fiq7zmwDA0OSzAUoMRaYwL8cusCwWsFLfTbUpbsKo/edit?usp=sharing

I can share DM notes if desired.

Is this the background of one player character, or are you having this be the background of all of the player characters?

In Star Wars, shared backgrounds don't really grab me. I much prefer a bunch of characters with wildly different backgrounds that come together in play (i.e., once the game starts) as this feels much more like the SW stories that I like.

I'll also say that I don't care for the more "sci-fi" angle you've gone with over the space opera/fantasy vibe of SW (but don't get me wrong--I don't like my SW to go too fantasy either, so the Mortis arc and some of the Nightsisters stuff really bugs me too).

That is awesome feedback, I had not contemplated that I was stripping too much individuality out of the characters.

and yeah it was intended to be the same for all players.

I've been experimenting with a bunch of ideas around mining data from SQRs (search query results) for the last year or so .

The problem is that I'm crawling around in my own head, and really need to get feedback from other people at this point.