New Descent (3rd edition but not 3rd edition) has no overlord

By The MechE, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Anyone as disappointed as I am?

Hopefully they can use the app to push an update and bring the overlord back.

Edited by The MechE

Yes, I am !

I'm so disappointed that I hope the game will be a bad selling and this idea will be no more.

17 minutes ago, The MechE said:

Hopefully they can use the app to push an update and bring the overlord back.

No, there is not. Didn't you noticed ? There is no monster cards : only the apps knows the characteristics of the monsters ...

19 minutes ago, rugal said:

No, there is not. Didn't you noticed ? There is no monster cards : only the apps knows the characteristics of the monsters ...

Well, an update could make those stats viewable by the overlord. And the app could support a "mini table" like a lot of card game apps do nowadays where you can see all your different monster stats easily in your "hand" or something (e.g. hearthstone, legends of runeterra, etc.)

Just as disappointed as anyone.

Looks like the majority are disappointed and that’s the last we see of Descent.

I think I am the most dissapointed of all. It seems that in the internet, I am the only one who doesn't like solo ("co-op") products?
With my group of 10+ players it's actually fine, we stay competitive and have great time in many different games, we tried and rejected puzzle products

What really baffles me is how they forced a Co-op puzzle only product at this point , where we have over 5 years with no real alternative to Descent 2ed?
I mean this puzzle they're pulling out will compete with Gloomhaven, Frosthaven, Etherfields, Tainted Grail, Middara, and even with their own product: LoTR Journeys in middle earth!

This could only make sense if they're planning for a real Descent 3rd ed...

Edited by GralQ

There's also an Achilles heel now- one of these rivals does a good player(s) vs evil player(s) or 1 v many or similar and it's good- really good- BEFORE FFG use the opportunity to use and update their game's usp and that window of opportunity could close....

I'm cautiously/foolishly/wishfully optimistic that they're not really done with Descent 'journeys' yet, just done with new content for 2e, so I'm sort of of the same opinion, especially with the 'not third edition' underlining in big bold of this release and framing 'journeys' as the player v player option

5 hours ago, GralQ said:

This could only make sense if they're planning for a real Descent 3rd ed...

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
8 hours ago, GralQ said:

I think I am the most dissapointed of all. It seems that in the internet, I am the only one who doesn't like solo ("co-op") products?

You are not alone my friend my group think the same

I don't think they were on a Real 3rd edition, but I'm sure now that they surely panick and work fast on it !

On 10/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, rugal said:

I don't think they were on a Real 3rd edition, but I'm sure now that they surely panick and work fast on it !

I don't know there. The reason they went for puzzle mode (solo or "co-op") only is obvisouly due to the success the genre is having sales-wise. I suspect too many solo "players" are pumping this market, buying all there is.

Watch for example what happened with Shadow Tactics KS:

Antler games developed a 1 vs many game. The solo "player" community backed the project only to be able to comment, and started to withdraw pledges once the game developer clarified no Solo mode was planned.

The result?

Antler games rushed an artificial co-op solo mode and made it available, to save over half of what is their amounted pledged total. They are likely going to be over 1.5 years late admittedly because of the solo content. Not only that, they announced plans for a "second campaign" which motivation seems to be only to appeal back to the backers that were outraged that the game had no solo mode - maybe this time they will back

In conslusion, many games are forced to offer an artificial solo mode to sell more - other products ommit any game mode completely and focus on puzzle/story/art, and do very well with solo only content.. so yeah, this is about selling mainly. A few of us ranting here doesn't mean this product will fail to new audience ;)

Let it be said though, I think these products may be great I just don't like them and it's a shame we are left with no new competitive dungeon crawler for years now

Edited by GralQ

Another thought: maybe the time we are enduring is more co-op and app-suited because both support solo or finding-ways-to-play-when-in-different-places play very well- a human overlord player type of game might be better when there's not a pandemic stopping us getting together to play, even if it is as I suspect a mere coincidence of timing, maybe that competitive dungeon crawler would be better unleashed when we're not up against an infective virulent sprawler.

A game that needs people to play with might sell better then....

4 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

...I suspect a mere coincidence of timing, maybe that competitive dungeon crawler would be better unleashed when we're not up against an infective virulent sprawler.

True that, I'd traded Mansions of Madness very quickly after getting it. Disgusted with the quality of components and the stinginess of scenarios.

I've re-bought into the game pretty heavily over the pandemic just because my girlfriend likes the theme and it's an easy game for us to play together.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:15 PM, Watercolour Dragon said:

both support solo

Descent Legends of The Dark doesn't support solo play.

2 hours ago, The MechE said:

Descent Legends of The Dark doesn't support solo play.

Why not ? You can still play solo multiples heroes against an app

On 10/22/2020 at 8:10 PM, rugal said:

Just like Mansions of Madness and it lets them change the properties of monsters from one scenario to the next making things more versatile. . It works fine, it's just not the style of game you're into.