Uthuks

By AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

So about Uthuks...

dle01_a1_monster_spread_v2.png

Berserkers now wear ponytail?

And I see that our sexy blood sisters (witches) gets old.

yes, disapointing.

And on top of that, I'm almost sure that size are not the same from D2, so, definitely, this game is going to be already dead and forgotten

Could proxy in Kethra A’laak or the Blood Witch from the command expansion.

The game is seriously criticized for the hairstyle of a miniature .... this criticism has no credibility whatsoever

34 minutes ago, maul said:

The game is seriously criticized for the hairstyle of a miniature .... this criticism has no credibility whatsoever

Well I do really like Uthuk faction and was excited for some new cool miniatures. They were great in Battlelore and I even like them in Runewars miniature game with the exception of Infantry Command.
This does not looks at Uthuks minis at all.

Same with the golem, what happend?
rwm04-07_preview1.png

And why all miniature have to have some heroic position with overkill base. I understand that for heroes and bosses, but do common bandits really need that juming flame on their base? And all wolves are showing their asses in the air 👏 .

I am also a fan of the Uthuks, but I prefer to criticize the most important things that are the tiles in the game and their exaggerated price, I like the minis that they do not have the boring flat base

You can still buy the rwm golems or may already own them- for anyone that prefers them if the squares are bigger maybe they'll fit but sculpts do change- 2e and 1e had different dragons but I liked them all (and Battlelore's dragon) :)

Working the base into the model is a good idea. There has been a great increase in the quality of mini's over the last decade, and getting more dynamic poses that incorporate elements of the base is a current trend. Here are just a couple examples from GW of their less crazy designs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbMM5cy-SQbNSXpA-aGVy images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkJp3hgzEChI1nyFHSMeZ

and then you know, you get the more complex stuff...

99120218001_CelestantPrime01.jpg

basically, we have progressed from this

gotrek-and-felix-eavy-metal.jpg

to this

5db8b2ff8de97e30b8aaed943df65e4e.jpg

and FFG trying to keep up is a good thing.

RIP Felix

Edited by kris40k
19 hours ago, rugal said:

yes, disapointing.

And on top of that, I'm almost sure that size are not the same from D2, so, definitely, this game is going to be already dead and forgotten

Relax the hate buddy :)

Plus FFG have found a middle ground and not gone as ott as gw rather do, not that ott is bad, you just don't want it all the time especially not for the practicalities of a board game

Yeah, I think the Centurion was approaching that, but its makes sense for a centerpiece BBEG, and they kept a fairly solid looking base which will be more practical for play.

I don't like themed base. Too much on a gameboard and having a water themed base on a forest board is strange

8 minutes ago, rugal said:

I don't like themed base. Too much on a gameboard and having a water themed base on a forest board is strange

Its smoke, for the Bandit's "smoke bomb" tactic.

4 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Its smoke, for the Bandit's "smoke bomb" tactic.

Don't like it. Valyndra was the figure I liked the least because of her base

I'm happy with all three options, everyone else will have their own preference(s):

Somebody made clear bases to see the board through

Some people don't like decorated bases as as per Rugal's point they can be out of place e.g. grass if inside building/ same scenery if on pillar etc

Some people like decorated bases as they give the figure a setting giving it life- it is an animated living being that can actually interact with its environment, even though that may not fit the 'now' it's a bit like the hinted at backstory/ character bio in a novel/film- hints at their natural environment/ background/ personality/ whatever else, plus can look great in terms of the mini and how it's custom painted/decorated, I actually kind of prefer this third option and it can look quite epic when it does fit the 'now', it's only really like a character having a familiar with them even though that familiar wouldn't always be with them, or being in the same pose all the time, it's just flavour or seasoning. Makes the mini more unique too, have one which is a unicorn killing a snake that looks really awesome so it doesn't really matter to me that it will not be killing a snake every frame of action it's in that particular game- it sets up the nature of the creature far more than just the unicorn on its own as it's conveying the fact it may be all sweet and magical/mythical but it can still take care of itself :) , just like any character wielding a weapon won't even have a weapon readied some of the time. You sometimes have to suspend some disbelief, but it is true that based will sometimes look out of place, so it's a lot about how much you like the artistry of the mini vs how much realism you want to go for.

Mind you, as I doubled up on Descent to make some clever maps I guess I could cover all bases by going for decor and no decor. I'll leave now :)

On 10/23/2020 at 5:38 PM, Raizox said:

Relax the hate buddy :)

Sorry, disappointement makes me angry

On 10/23/2020 at 5:31 PM, kris40k said:

Working the base into the model is a good idea. There has been a great increase in the quality of mini's over the last decade, and getting more dynamic poses that incorporate elements of the base is a current trend.

Good idea when you got iconic individual minis, but when you got 4 x mini#1 and 4 x mini#2 you quickly get bored and tired of the same stupid pose over that stupid column.

Heroes and great villains need to be unique and their base should be according to it.

Minions need to be smooth, unnoticed, elegant, specially when they are exact copies... :)

So, that four wolves, showing their 4 asses over 4 stones are 4 x ridiculous

Edited by Tubb
6 hours ago, Tubb said:

Good idea when you got iconic individual minis, but when you got 4 x mini#1 and 4 x mini#2 you quickly get bored and tired of the same stupid pose over that stupid column.

Heroes and great villains need to be unique and their base should be according to it.

Minions need to be smooth, unnoticed, elegant, specially when they are exact copies... :)

So, that four wolves, showing their 4 asses over 4 stones are 4 x ridiculous

I'm on totally opposite : the simplier the base is, the better it is to see the miniature on different grounds. To me, a black flat base is like a shadow of the figurine and immediately I find it on the board.