Lightfoils and Saber Rakes

By Balorna, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

One of my favorite campaign settings under WEG Star Wars was The Lords of the Expanse . It introduced lightfoils which were nerfed lightsabers used by non Force using saber rakes for dueling. I've thought about introducing them into my FFG campaign. I have ideas on how to do this, but I am wondering if there are any more experienced players of this system has already beaten me to it or have already been thinking of it on their own who would like to share ideas. My idea is that there is some kind of crystal local to the Tapani Sector that can be used for lightsaber like effects but is not a true lightsaber crystal. I would change some combination of damage, critical range and the specials generally to the worse. The only thing that might be changed to the positive would rarity and cost, but I am not sure how nerfed too nerfed would be.

Also, I am thinking that producing a saber rake specialization would be cool, but I have not even began looking at how to create custom specializations. Any ideas on that one?

Sounds like a cool campaign concept you're building there, @Balorna :)

Luckily, the Lightfoil allready exists in FFGSWRPG, in Gadgets and Gear no p.48 (And is apparently also mentioned in Knights of Fate , but I don't have the book at hand)

LIGHTFOIL
Skill : Lightsaber
RNG : Engaged
Enc : 1
Price (R) 9,850
Rarity : 10
DMG : 5
Crit : 2
HP : 1 (but a crystal uses 2 HP, see below; I'm confused.
Special : Breach 1, Defensive 2, Sunder
"This lightsaber uses a basic lighfoil hilt containing an unmodded Ilum crystal. This crystal occupies two of the weapon's Hard Points"
"When installing a lightsaber crystal into a lightfoil reduce the damage of the crystal by one"

Edited by angelman2
40 minutes ago, Balorna said:

Also, I am thinking that producing a saber rake specialization would be cool, but I have not even began looking at how to create custom specializations. Any ideas on that one?

Second tree I worked on in here (never completely finished) was a non-Force sensitive version of Makashi, and thanks to advice from others it was flavored to relate to the Tapani saber rake stuff.

30 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Second tree I worked on in here (never completely finished) was a non-Force sensitive version of Makashi, and thanks to advice from others it was flavored to relate to the Tapani saber rake stuff.

Looks like a good base to work from. I will share my final result and make sure I give due credit. Thanks!